Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Simple steps app (or device) needed

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Fluke
Lemon Slice

Simple steps app (or device) needed

Postby Fluke » January 27th, 2022, 12:48 pm

There is a proliferation of pedometer-type mobile phone apps which do all sorts of fancy stuff. I'm after a super simple steps app (or clip-on device) that enables me to count the number of steps (or distance in KMs) from point A to point B. I want to be able to reset it back to 0 often and repeat the exercise. Useful as I'm sure it is, I'm not interested in trends or targets or averages over the day/week/month or any of that stuff. I've got an iPhone which comes with the Health app which as far as I can see doesn't do this quite simple task.

Any suggestions or experience?

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Simple steps app (or device) needed

Postby Gerry557 » January 27th, 2022, 1:23 pm

I suppose it depends on how accurate you want it and how much you want to pay.

I have a fitbit on my wrist that can do all that and much more if you are willing to pay for a subscription.

You might find a simple free app that covers your needs.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-p ... id-852651/

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » January 27th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Gerry557 wrote:I suppose it depends on how accurate you want it and how much you want to pay.

I have a fitbit on my wrist that can do all that and much more if you are willing to pay for a subscription.

I think the basic free Strava app, the classic exercise app for runners/cyclists etc.., will record walking distance using the phone's GPS. Even without a step counter, you could convert your distance into approx steps, based on a simple stride length test.

I did think modern iPhones had some step counting included in their health suite, but I am an android user so can't confirm.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » January 27th, 2022, 3:17 pm

Have a look at the Omron pedometer from Argos:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5441080 ... eter:1:1:1

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 27th, 2022, 11:19 pm

BigB wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:I suppose it depends on how accurate you want it and how much you want to pay.

I think the basic free Strava app, the classic exercise app for runners/cyclists etc.., will record walking distance using the phone's GPS. Even without a step counter, you could convert your distance into approx steps, based on a simple stride length test.

I did think modern iPhones had some step counting included in their health suite, but I am an android user so can't confirm.

Map my walk appears to be a highly recommended equivalent of strava for pedestrians

- sd

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 28th, 2022, 5:47 am

BigB wrote:

Lots of phones have a built in step counter anyway but I don't know about their accuracy. I also use strava. Looking at the maps tracking, it cuts corners so routes are smaller that actual unless you do lots of straight lines. There might be a way to increase the the tracking sampling rate which might increase the accuracy but I haven't the need or the inclination.

There are lots of cheaper devices than fitbit as the Ops requirement is quite simple
Last edited by csearle on January 28th, 2022, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To reposition the poster's text outside of the quoted text.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 28th, 2022, 10:07 pm

Fluke wrote:I've got an iPhone which comes with the Health app which as far as I can see doesn't do this quite simple task.

Any suggestions or experience?

The iPhone will, as you have probably discovered, record the number of steps taken each day, breaking that down into steps in each one hour segment throughout the day. However neither the Health app nor any other in built Apple app will record the number of steps from A to B.

However when used with an Apple Watch you can use the Activity app on the watch to record an ‘outside walk’ and then it will provide a lot of information about that walk in the Fitness app on the phone - time taken, distance, elevation change, average heart rate and a chart of heart rate, average pace, a map of the walk, weather at that time, etc.

If you don’t want something separate to the phone like a watch, then there are a number of apps in the App Store which should do what you need. Just search for ‘walking app’.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » January 29th, 2022, 4:55 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Have a look at the Omron pedometer from Argos:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5441080 ... eter:1:1:1

I second a purpose built pedometer for number of steps. Slips in your pocket and you don't notice it. Seems to be more accurate than my phone. I also have an Omron one.

torata

Return to “Does anyone know?”