Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cooling for a small room

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cooling for a small room

Postby Howard » June 25th, 2022, 11:46 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Howard wrote:
I bought a portable aircon a few years ago and made a frame for the exhaust tube to fit the window. Before committing to buying it, I had listened to it in the large shop and it didn't sound too noisy.

However once I got it home and used it in a quiet house in a fairly large bedroom it was incredibly noisy, expensive to run and not that effective.

So I sold it and had Mitsubishi split aircon installed instead. Whisper quiet, incredibly effective and costs pence to run. Admittedly It would cost a bit over £1k to install a split system for one room. Worth considering?

See post -https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=222449#p222449 and the later review of using the system in very hot weather.

I can't believe your very interesting air-con journey was three years ago now Howard - it's scary how the years fly by!

It's great to hear that you're still happy with it all after such a long period of use, but I've just had a read through that great thread again this morning, and it doesn't look like the URL links to the outdoor and indoor units you had installed are valid any more - would it please be possible for you to provide a couple of new links to the kit you had installed, or the latest models of them if they've been updated since?

Having had a bit of a dig online, would I be right in thinking these two options are somewhere near?

2.5kW and 3.5kW indoor units - https://www.orionairsales.co.uk/mitsubishi-heavy-industries-air-conditioning-scm40zs-s-r32-multi-1-x-skm25-1-x-skm35-wall-240v50hz-13959-p.asp

2.5kW and 2.5kW indoor units - https://www.orionairsales.co.uk/mitsubishi-heavy-industries-air-conditioning-scm40zs-w-r32-multi-2-x-skm25zsp-w-wall-mount-240v50hz-15064-p.asp

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Yes, iag, thanks for your post, you are right - time flies!

Your second link is, I think, the latest version of the aircon I had installed.

We are very pleased with the system. It is very quiet in operation. The air conditioning mode has proved very effective, especially on hot nights. It is obviously a luxury which is only used during the hot days of summer. However, slightly surprisingly, I have used the heating mode much more frequently. One wall unit is in the room we frequent most in the winter and we use it to boost the temperature on cold days instead of turning up the central heating and it brings up the temperature very quickly on a cold morning. I didn't install it with economy in mind but the running cost is very low (a few pence an hour), even now with a much higher electricity tariff.

regards

Howard

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Cooling for a small room

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 26th, 2022, 12:32 am

Howard wrote:
Yes, IAAG, thanks for your post, you are right - time flies!

Your second link is, I think, the latest version of the aircon I had installed.

We are very pleased with the system. It is very quiet in operation. The air conditioning mode has proved very effective, especially on hot nights. It is obviously a luxury which is only used during the hot days of summer. However, slightly surprisingly, I have used the heating mode much more frequently. One wall unit is in the room we frequent most in the winter and we use it to boost the temperature on cold days instead of turning up the central heating and it brings up the temperature very quickly on a cold morning. I didn't install it with economy in mind but the running cost is very low (a few pence an hour), even now with a much higher electricity tariff.

regards

Howard

Hi Howard,

May I say thank you please. A great big thank you. Over the last two days our Foolish community has offered an enormous amount of suggestions and thoughts on this thread. I've been humbled. Everyone has offered advice and talked about their own experiences with similar problems. I've genuinely spent a huge amount of time listening and then researching.

May I say thank you to everyone again please. Between you all, you have helped me to define a way forward. I think the key to unlocking the most viable solution is inverter air conditioning. I still have to sort out a downstairs wet room for my father-in-law and the solution is to convert their existing kitchen. The existing lounge will become the new kitchen and the existing conservatory will become the new lounge.

I have ordered a portable unit as a temporary fix which is powerful enough to control the temperature in the conservatory. A permanent system with an external heat exchange unit will follow as soon as possible. I'm going to line the windows and roof with "film" that will reduce solar gain in summer. Thus reducing the pressure on the air-conditioning system and lowering costs. Having checked the running costs to raise the temperature in winter it works out cheaper, over the short term, not to insulate the existing conservatory as there's not a complete cost recovery for over 15 years. I have to consider the "hassle" that my parents in law would also have to go through and I can't convince myself it's worth it.

Thank you all for the time you have given which is greatly appreciated. I will keep you updated.

Take care

AiY(D)

Return to “Does anyone know?”