Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Downloading from internet to iPhone

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Downloading from internet to iPhone

Postby redsturgeon » April 22nd, 2024, 5:09 pm

I am a fan of This American Life podcasts and there are over 800 hour long episodes available on their website to download but when I download an episode I can't find where is goes to on my phone. Any ideas?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Downloading from internet to iPhone

Postby Urbandreamer » April 22nd, 2024, 5:48 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I am a fan of This American Life podcasts and there are over 800 hour long episodes available on their website to download but when I download an episode I can't find where is goes to on my phone. Any ideas?

I'm not an iPhone user, but storage locations typically depend upon application. Sure there are common locations and you may think that we assume you are using iTunes, but are you?

In any case it's normal to use the application to manage the storage that it uses. That is to say play the downloads and possibly delete them.

On the assumption that you did mean iTunes, I did this web search
https://www.google.com/search?q=iTunes+ ... s-wiz-serp

Ps, I'm experimenting with Fountain for my podcasts. I've yet to tip a podcast provider, but like the option.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 22nd, 2024, 6:04 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I am a fan of This American Life podcasts and there are over 800 hour long episodes available on their website to download but when I download an episode I can't find where is goes to on my phone. Any ideas?

If you swipe down from the middle of your iPhone home screen a box will appear allowing you to search your device. When I search for "Podcast" on my iPhone it immediately suggests the "Podcasts" app. Now I don't have the latest version of IOS so yours may be different but I reckon you could also swipe and search like I did...

GS

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 22nd, 2024, 6:32 pm

If your phone runs on Android,you will find it in Downloads.

TJH

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 22nd, 2024, 7:03 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:

I'm not an iPhone user, but storage locations typically depend upon application. Sure there are common locations and you may think that we assume you are using iTunes, but are you?

In any case it's normal to use the application to manage the storage that it uses. That is to say play the downloads and possibly delete them.

Ps, I'm experimenting with Fountain for my podcasts. I've yet to tip a podcast provider, but like the option.

Apparently I could get this from itunes for a fee but since they are available for free direct from the site I don"t wish to do that. I have Apple podcast app and Spotify both only have the latest months episode of TAL to listen to.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 22nd, 2024, 7:04 pm

GoSeigen wrote:

If you swipe down from the middle of your iPhone home screen a box will appear allowing you to search your device. When I search for "Podcast" on my iPhone it immediately suggests the "Podcasts" app. Now I don't have the latest version of IOS so yours may be different but I reckon you could also swipe and search like I did...

GS

I have tried looking there and couldn't find anything.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 22nd, 2024, 7:05 pm

tjh290633 wrote:If your phone runs on Android,you will find it in Downloads.

TJH

Iphones run on IOS.

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » April 22nd, 2024, 7:16 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Apparently I could get this from itunes for a fee but since they are available for free direct from the site I don"t wish to do that. I have Apple podcast app and Spotify both only have the latest months episode of TAL to listen to.

Assuming you have the file on an apple computer you could try airdropping it to the iPhone, where it should then be accessible to the appropriate app (Podcasts?). iOS usually associates files to the correct app which can use them, it certainly does for files I regularly airdrop.

Alternativey use iCloud drive/File apps and try to open the file from there. If a regular mp3 then it should be playable with the podcasts/music apps?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 22nd, 2024, 7:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.I have solved the problem. It seems there were a few extra steps required to download the episodes and then save to files. I now have them in the files folder on my iphone.

John

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 22nd, 2024, 7:28 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:

Apparently I could get this from itunes for a fee but since they are available for free direct from the site I don"t wish to do that. I have Apple podcast app and Spotify both only have the latest months episode of TAL to listen to.

I think that we have a few confusions. I don't have an iPhone, so don't pay for what you do. Podcasts are mostly free, but if you tell me that Apple charge you as a middle man, I'll believe you. Are you trying to keep a copy of said podcasts, in which case, as you say, you can use a computer.
Have you tried a different podcast app than iTunes?
Apple has Fountain in it's store.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fountain- ... 1576394424
Who knows, you might want to tip/pay the podcast provider, as it's not Apple who did the work, but that would be up to you.

Now if you want to do something obscure, you could download the podcast as an mp3 then put it somewhere on a phone and use a music app (other than iTunes) to play it.
I.E
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/musi-simp ... d591560124
At least it would be easy to do that if you had a *Droid phone. I've not much experience with Apple stuff as I hate their "walled garden".

Possibly if you could be clearer, a iPhone expert could comment. I'd also comment that there is a better board for this on TLF.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 22nd, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thanks Urbandreamer, all sorted now.

Return to “Does anyone know?”