Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Rat under the house

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Rat under the house

Postby mc2fool » November 5th, 2023, 9:28 pm

Bouleversee wrote:For those who, like me, had never heard of glis glis, they are like a small squirrel but apparently go out at night and come in during the day, which is rather strange.

New to me too, but on a quick google I find their common name is the European edible dormouse :shock:

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 5th, 2023, 10:43 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:For those who, like me, had never heard of glis glis, they are like a small squirrel but apparently go out at night and come in during the day, which is rather strange.

New to me too, but on a quick google I find their common name is the European edible dormouse :shock:

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I'm afraid I didn't fancy having them for supper.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 6th, 2023, 9:30 am

Bouleversee wrote:
mc2fool wrote:New to me too, but on a quick google I find their common name is the European edible dormouse :shock:

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I'm afraid I didn't fancy having them for supper.

Any mad hatters in your area?

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 14th, 2023, 12:35 pm

bungeejumper wrote:He'd created a tape loop of a rabbit's distress cry (yes, apparently they have one)

They certainly do. It’s a piteous wail. Not too dissimilar from a human baby.

Friends came home, to hear said piteous wail coming from their bathroom. Entering, they found a rabbit in their bath. It couldn’t get out because its feet slipped every time it tried to jump. Sitting on the edge of the bath looking very pleased with itself was their cat. The rabbit was nearly as big as the cat. How the cat had got the rabbit into the bath, or even knew it would restrain the rabbit, they have no idea :lol:

Gryff

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 14th, 2023, 1:02 pm

Calmly watching Masterchef last night when cat came in brandishing a mouse (first time ever in the 5 years we've had him). Main problem was that it wasn't dead as I discovered when it dropped to the floor and scrambled underneath the settee, two steps ahead of seemingly surpried cat.

Tipped the settee up in the hope that cat would catch it but it seemed to have lost interest.

Oh what a lovely thing, exclaimed Mrs L! Oh where's it going to find to hide and live whilst we're asleep, thought I.

In deference to Mrs L, I dug out one of those humane mouse catchers I had stored in the garage and set it, loaded with peanut butter, near the settee. Closed all the doors but still worried all night that said mouse would have crawled underneath one of them and into/under/behind a cupboard.

Woke this morning to find mouse humane catcher un-triggered but that the the live mouse catcher had regained interest, evidenced by mouse head, tail and various internal bits left on the floor.

Peaceful sleep tonight beckons.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 14th, 2023, 3:05 pm

Laughton wrote:....the live mouse catcher had regained interest, evidenced by mouse head, tail and various internal bits left on the floor.

Our cat used to eat them, on the terrace by the east door. Sometimes just the front end, but sometimes the whole thing bar a certain portion of the gut.
Never could see how she managed that dissection without a knife and fork.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 14th, 2023, 5:55 pm

gryffron wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:He'd created a tape loop of a rabbit's distress cry (yes, apparently they have one)

They certainly do. It’s a piteous wail. Not too dissimilar from a human baby.

Friends came home, to hear said piteous wail coming from their bathroom. Entering, they found a rabbit in their bath. It couldn’t get out because its feet slipped every time it tried to jump. Sitting on the edge of the bath looking very pleased with itself was their cat. The rabbit was nearly as big as the cat. How the cat had got the rabbit into the bath, or even knew it would restrain the rabbit, they have no idea :lol:

Gryff

Very likely, simply chased it in. If the outside of the bath was less slippery to the feet than the inside, and it was just looking for any possible escape route. Maybe a smaller rodent might've found one down the plughole?

Much more interesting question: how did the rabbit enter the house? Through a cat flap?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 14th, 2023, 6:34 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
gryffron wrote:It couldn’t get out because its feet slipped every time it tried to jump. Sitting on the edge of the bath looking very pleased with itself was their cat. The rabbit was nearly as big as the cat. How the cat had got the rabbit into the bath, or even knew it would restrain the rabbit, they have no idea :lol:

Very likely, simply chased it in. If the outside of the bath was less slippery to the feet than the inside, and it was just looking for any possible escape route. Maybe a smaller rodent might've found one down the plughole?

Much more interesting question: how did the rabbit enter the house? Through a cat flap?

My elderly neighour's moggie did that several times. Yes, it would catch the rabbit and then bring it in through the cat flap and drop it into the bath, whereupon it would sit there enjoying its attempts to escape, like the audience at the Colosseum taunting those who were about to die.

The poor dear would then ring me up and I'd have to go round and release it. Or, if it was too badly damaged, to dispatch it swiftly.

My wife could trump that story, though. On one memorable occasion she found a live mole in her dishwasher. The cat had duly scarpered, mission accomplished. :lol:

BJ

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 14th, 2023, 9:45 pm

There's a mole in my washer dear Liza dear Liza
There's a mole in my washer dear Liza a mole

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 16th, 2023, 8:52 am

Laughton wrote:There's a mole in my washer dear Liza dear Liza

On the subject of rats, I think there's one in my kitchen. I don't know what to do ...

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 16th, 2023, 9:15 am

moorfield wrote:
Laughton wrote:There's a mole in my washer dear Liza dear Liza

On the subject of rats, I think there's one in my kitchen. I don't know what to do ...

Something like this.

V8

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 16th, 2023, 9:26 am

88V8 wrote:
moorfield wrote:On the subject of rats, I think there's one in my kitchen. I don't know what to do ...

Something like this.

V8

I would have thought spatchcocked like Guinea pig could work

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 16th, 2023, 10:44 am

moorfield wrote:On the subject of rats, I think there's one in my kitchen. I don't know what to do ...

Daughter had a rodent under the sink in her 1970s house. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be the girl next door's escaped hamster. (Is not Siberian this time, Mister Fawlty.)

A rare moment of delighted reunion, then. But it did raise a few nagging doubts as to what those houses were made of. Especially since the guy four doors along kept snakes. :?

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 16th, 2023, 11:10 am

On a more practical note, unless your place is very damp or derelict, it's more likely to be field mice coming in from the cold. We catch a dozen or so in our traps every Christmas, and they make a fine contribution to the festive meal. (Seriously, in the days when we had cats, we would simply hand them over to the moggies. They would give us a look of open-jawed wonder that said "how the hell did you manage that?")

I'd start with a couple of snap traps for mice if I were you. If there are kids or pets, cut a piece out of a margarine tub so as to make a "garage" for the trap, and put something heavy on top so it won't/can't be disturbed. Peanut butter is a good bait, hazelnut spread like Nutella is top choice.

Try to set the traps as finely as you can. If the bait is being eaten but the traps aren't sprung, redouble your attempts at setting them finely. If the trap disappears, though, or if you find it on the other side of the kitchen in the morning, you're gonna need a bigger boat. :lol:

BJ

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 16th, 2023, 12:20 pm

Thanks BJ. I'm going to fix that rat ...

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 16th, 2023, 3:43 pm

If you don't already have traps I sugget you get the larger "rat" sized ones from the start. They will also be effective against mice but rats just laugh at those "mice" sized ones commonly seen for sale on ebay.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 16th, 2023, 4:21 pm

Laughton wrote:If you don't already have traps I sugget you get the larger "rat" sized ones from the start. They will also be effective against mice .

Gently beg to differ about that last bit. We've had rat traps that have been too large for the meeces, so that the bail arms have gone right over their heads and not killed them nicely. Or sometimes not at all. :|

And of course, they're capable of breaking your fingers, so you need to be just that leeeeetle bit more careful about who goes near them. Or where you walk, first thing in the morning, with a hangover and just your slippers on your feet. :D

BJ

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 16th, 2023, 4:50 pm

Oh yes, I agree there. Once set only approach and disarm (activate) with use of a stick.

I'm too much of a sissy to think about walking anywhere, there might be mice, in just slippers. :oops:

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 16th, 2023, 5:22 pm

What makes you think it is a rat as opposed to mice or glis glis and how do you know there is only one? Have you identified the droppings or seen it?
You certainly need to use the correct trap for whatever it is or call in a pest controller.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 17th, 2023, 11:56 am

servodude wrote:
88V8 wrote:Something like this.

V8

I would have thought spatchcocked like Guinea pig could work

Isn't the traditional British recipe Rat Pie?

The french do something fancier with shallots and wine, while in Spain it's traditional in paella. Or plain stewed, American-style. Or just dried and salted, as in East Africa. Or of course the various Asian recipes ...

(all from a quick look at the wikipedia cookbook, wondering idly about the origins of rat pie).

Return to “Does anyone know?”