Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Bank Accounts

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Bank Accounts

Postby swill453 » December 2nd, 2016, 3:39 pm

Any old current account plus savings account, and a spreadsheet :-)

Scott.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » December 2nd, 2016, 4:26 pm

I've had a Nationwide FlexAccount (current account) for over 20 years. There's no fee, and the interface makes it easy to move money to and from various savings accounts. I would have switched if I was unhappy.

Loir
2 Lemon pips

Postby Loir » December 2nd, 2016, 5:24 pm

I've had a Nationwide FlexAccount (current account) for over 20 years. There's no fee, and the interface makes it easy to move money to and from various savings accounts. I would have switched if I was unhappy.

It's a pity that their savings rates are so feeble. I have a current account with but I stopped using their savings accounts once they went down so low.

Loir

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 3rd, 2016, 11:05 pm

Snorvey wrote:Does anyone know of a decent alternative to Intelligent Finance? (online Current Account plus multiple linked savings 'Jars')

Many thanks.

I like Nationwide for that and I have tried a LOT of accounts!

Mel

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 4th, 2016, 8:52 am

Nationwide were great for 20 years. Always worked nicely, paid a reasonable rate of interest, and always held out against a wide range of charges that came into and out of fashion in the rest of the industry.

Then after 2008, they rapidly lost the advantages I'd always valued. Lots of agencies closed down, including my local one, so no paying cheques in. Transaction fees introduced on accessing money abroad, and other such advantages lost or curtailed.

Before 2008 (or probably 2009) I'd've recommended them to anyone. Now they're no better than a bank, and I'd vote Yes if we ever had a carpetbagging vote.

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » December 4th, 2016, 11:15 am

I've used a Personal Nationwide Flexaccount for donkeys years. Also linked online to my kids' savings accounts and it's a doddle to transfer money between them or to set up a Faster Payment to a third party.

For Business, I set up a Santander online Current Account at a time when Santander was getting a load of flak for Customer Service. Never * had any issues running it. In fact, am opening another in January for another Business. Can pay cheques into Abbey National ATMs no problem. NB, my Business is not cash-based. If it was, online only would be no good.

* They used to insist on my PC running Trusteer Rapport to protect it. However, Rapport really slugs performance and I've recently removed it. So far, no nags.

So, a thumbs up for either Nationwide (personal) or Santander (Business)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 4th, 2016, 11:28 am

One thing I've always liked about Nationwide is the ability to open new internet savings accounts online, without the need for additional ID checks.

Steve

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 4th, 2016, 12:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote: Lots of agencies closed down, including my local one, so no paying cheques in.

You'll be able to pay cheques in from home via an app from next year, for all banks (inc N'wide).

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 4th, 2016, 12:30 pm

stevensfo wrote:One thing I've always liked about Nationwide is the ability to open new internet savings accounts online, without the need for additional ID checks.

Steve

Yup, and that was what was asked for in the OP, no query about interest rates :)

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 4th, 2016, 12:32 pm

AndyPandy wrote:I've used a Personal Nationwide Flexaccount for donkeys years. Also linked online to my kids' savings accounts and it's a doddle to transfer money between them or to set up a Faster Payment to a third party.

For Business, I set up a Santander online Current Account at a time when Santander was getting a load of flak for Customer Service. Never * had any issues running it. In fact, am opening another in January for another Business. Can pay cheques into Abbey National ATMs no problem. NB, my Business is not cash-based. If it was, online only would be no good.

* They used to insist on my PC running Trusteer Rapport to protect it. However, Rapport really slugs performance and I've recently removed it. So far, no nags.

So, a thumbs up for either Nationwide (personal) or Santander (Business)

Their (N'wide) phone app is fab too.

Santander - I've never downloaded the Trusteer thing, not had any problems. I did have *lots* of customer service problems in the first 12-18m, and they paid me a lot of 'stop whining' money, so for that year or so it was my best bank income generator!

Mel

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » December 5th, 2016, 7:14 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Nationwide were great for 20 years. Then after 2008, they rapidly lost the advantages I'd always valued. Lots of agencies closed down, including my local one, so no paying cheques in. Transaction fees introduced on accessing money abroad, and other such advantages lost or curtailed.

Yes, there are fewer branches now, but that is true of most financial services. Regarding transaction fees abroad and in foreign currencies if shopping online, I think this change has applied to all financial services providers. I have a joint account with Mrs Bruncher and we are charged quite a bit by HSBC when we use our cards abroad. I also have an a/c with Lloyds and they are probably the worst for non-sterling transaction charges.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » December 5th, 2016, 7:20 am

I have been with Santander since they were Abbey National Building Society. I have never had problems with automated transactions. Do not ask them for information or advice though. That has not worked since the Building Society days.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » December 5th, 2016, 8:55 am

I've found Santander very efficient and of course a top interest payer, been with them since Abbey days. A couple can have up to 3 well-paying current accounts between them. Much better than my other bank (Bank of Scotland) who have led the field in charges and interest rate cuts. But together these banks are well represented on the High Streets so I use both.

(I never consider Nat****de since they gobbled up and discarded my local building society, cough, spit).

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 5th, 2016, 10:03 am

I have a Santander 123 account for the interest rate, but they do seem to do some Bad Things.

The worst was when I was making a large (five-figure) payment, for what was hoped to be a life-saving operation for a family member[1]. I first made a small payment just to confirm I had the details correct. Then I made the big one, which also went through OK and showed on my account.

Then a panicked call next day: no sign of the money from the big payment. I went to the website, only to find myself unable to log in: they'd locked me out! Phoning them didn't help. I had to get on the bike and visit in person. With passport to prove my identity. Day-off-work territory, and if I'd been away from home I could've been completely stuffed.

Now, I could understand them worrying about a big payment: too many gullible idiots, and too much blame for failing to protect them. But then why did the payment show as having been successful on the day? Why was I completely locked out and unable even to view my account? Why did they not contact me? They could send a routine TFA code to my mobile when I set up the payee and made the small test payment, but couldn't call, text or email me when they pressed the nuclear button?

Very definitely not an account to rely on. Sup with a very long spoon.

[1] Her cancer operation with the lottery known cruelly as the NHS had been on a "week after next" timescale for about four months before we finally drew the line under that.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 5th, 2016, 1:57 pm

melonfool wrote:You'll be able to pay cheques in from home via an app from next year, for all banks (inc N'wide).
Mel

That's the best news I've heard all day Mel.

Regards,
Chris

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 5th, 2016, 3:58 pm

csearle wrote:
melonfool wrote:You'll be able to pay cheques in from home via an app from next year, for all banks (inc N'wide).
Mel

That's the best news I've heard all day Mel.

Regards,
Chris

Looks like they might be slipping the dates since I worked there, but it's still a work in progress:

http://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/cheque ... ue-imaging

Mel

Return to “Does anyone know?”