Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Port and Lemon?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Port and Lemon?

Postby Slarti » December 2nd, 2016, 6:34 pm

I'm sure this used to be a common thing, but we have an argument going on as to what the lemon was.

Suggestions are lemonade, bitter lemon and lemon juice.

DAK who drinks/drank or prepared this know which it actually was?

Cheers
Slarti

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Re: Port and Lemon?

Postby modellingman » December 2nd, 2016, 7:33 pm

Its been 40 years plus since I ordered one for a young lady I used to go out with. The Lemon was lemonade. Depending on the establishment it might also be served with a glace cherry on a cocktail stick.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 2nd, 2016, 8:16 pm

Always lemonade in my neck of the woods

Generali
2 Lemon pips

Postby Generali » December 3rd, 2016, 5:44 am

AIUI it's equal amounts of port and lemonade with a slice of lemon floating in it.

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » December 3rd, 2016, 7:35 am

Another vote for lemonade. It was my great aunt's favourite tipple alongside snowballs and babycham - none of which ever touched my lips. The floating slice of lemon had to be requested at the pub we went to on the Mile End Road, London.

I've always thought of it as a sort of Portuguese sangria.

Generali
2 Lemon pips

Postby Generali » December 3rd, 2016, 7:53 am

Eboli wrote:Another vote for lemonade. It was my great aunt's favourite tipple alongside snowballs and babycham - none of which ever touched my lips. The floating slice of lemon had to be requested at the pub we went to on the Mile End Road, London.

I've always thought of it as a sort of Portuguese sangria.

In Southern Spain I've often seen people drinking rough red wine with a dash of lemonade in it.

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » December 3rd, 2016, 8:33 am

I've also seen people drinking red wine with cola in it (though not in the UK). To coin a phrase, I tried it once and didn't like it.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 3rd, 2016, 9:09 am

We used to drink it with Schweppes bitter lemon, back in the early 70s. Mind you, we also used to think Dubonnet was chic in those days, so don't rely on me if you're looking for any kind of style guide.

BJ

** Schweppes and Dubonnet were both part of the Cadbury Schweppes empire. It played merry hell with Cadburys' Quaker principles, I can tell you. :lol:

Biggles
2 Lemon pips

Postby Biggles » December 3rd, 2016, 10:25 am

Mrs Biggles used to drink it, back in the day. Port and lemonade was what you got.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 3rd, 2016, 10:43 am

As a teenager in the sixties a young man I was out with for the first time was reluctant to buy me the orange juice or lemonade or whatever it was I wanted and suggested I might like a port and lemon instead. I wasn't much into alcohol in my teens (if only it had lasted!) but I was willing to try something new. The one I had was port with lemonade and it did indeed have a cherry too. It wasn't disgusting but seemed to have little to recommend it.

When I got home and mentioned trying this odd new drink my mother was horrified because 'that's a prostitute's drink!' She wasn't in the least concerned I was drinking under-age (I looked 18 or 19 but was in fact only 16) just that I was consuming something she regarded as socially unacceptable!

N.B. I dropped the young man like a hot brick, not because of the port and lemon, but because I never had any patience with the sort of male who will neither order a soft drink nor accept the idea of you going to the bar and buying the drinks instead.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 3rd, 2016, 4:45 pm

Thanks all for the feedback.

Virtual recs all round.

After taking the effort to post the query from my phone (after a sherbet or 2) the conversion had already wandered off into other areas, as pub conversations tend to do and I forgot all about having asked.

Interesting that the responses were all for lemonade except for one bitter lemon, which is exactly the same as in the pub.

Cheers all
Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 3rd, 2016, 4:48 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:N.B. I dropped the young man like a hot brick, not because of the port and lemon, but because I never had any patience with the sort of male who will neither order a soft drink nor accept the idea of you going to the bar and buying the drinks instead.

Well I might have wanted to get some alcohol into a young lady, in the hopes that she might become less of a lady, but I have never understood objecting to her going and getting the drinks in.

If she insisted on a soft drink, I had no problems with buying that, either.

Slarti

Miltomatic

Postby Miltomatic » December 4th, 2016, 10:47 am

Red wine and coke is a thing. It's called a Kalimotxo, and pronounced kahl-ee-moe-choe

Milt

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 4th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Slarti wrote:Well I might have wanted to get some alcohol into a young lady, in the hopes that she might become less of a lady, but I have never understood objecting to her going and getting the drinks in.

If she insisted on a soft drink, I had no problems with buying that, either.

When I first arrived in these parts (Bath) in the 1970s, it was quite common for pubs to refuse to serve a pint of beer to a woman. A half pint in a tall glass was all that she'd be allowed to have. I suppose they thought they were keeping up the tone of the establishment :lol: ).

Mind you, I once had a girlfriend who could neck a bottle of Britvic orange juice in three minutes and then ask for another, and another, and another. I don't know what they were putting into that stuff to cause the addiction, but she quickly became too expensive to maintain. I swapped her for a girl with a big laugh and a taste for scrumpy. Much more fun.

BJ

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » December 4th, 2016, 1:53 pm

Red wine, lemonade and ice is popular in Span in the very hot summer months when "room temperature" can be north of 30C.

It's called Tinto Verano, summer red in English.

It's quite refreshing and not as strong as Sangria.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 4th, 2016, 6:51 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:When I got home and mentioned trying this odd new drink my mother was horrified because 'that's a prostitute's drink!'

Yes, I dimly recall a 1970s advertising slogan that went "A Port in Every Girl". Wittily intended, I'm sure, but it isn't hard to see why your mother would have been concerned by the connotations. :lol:

BJ

Return to “Does anyone know?”