Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Suoreme Court Article 50 appeal live viewing

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Suoreme Court Article 50 appeal live viewing

Postby Jonetc15 » December 3rd, 2016, 5:38 pm

In case I'm wrong (and in case anyone is interested) I think that the link to view the hearing live on Monday is https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html. The Case Details (including the issue and the facts) are at https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2016-0196.html. I'll be grateful to know if simply clicking on the case name in the first link will get me logged on to the live broadcast.

Jon

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Re: Suoreme Court Article 50 appeal live viewing

Postby Jonetc15 » December 3rd, 2016, 5:39 pm

P.S. Sorry for the 'Supreme' typo in the subject box.
Jon

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 3rd, 2016, 11:09 pm

And if you fancy yourself as a good interpreter of the way a judgment is going you can also have a bet on the outcome - https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/# ... .128049829

I've often sat in court listening to a judge giving his judgment on a case that I've been involved in, and it really is a fascinating exercise. All the time I'm listening for nuances and hints as to what the final outcome will be. Your heart can leap one minute, for example if the judge says "Overall I found the claimant to be an impressive witness ..." but then it sinks as the dread word "However" makes an unexpected and very unwelcome appearance, followed by "it was my impression that although he was doing his best to recount the events as they happened there were occasions when his recollection in cross-examination was in direct conflict with the contents of his witness statement ..."

I've long been in the habit of annotating my written record of the judgment with smiley faces in the margin, according to how it's going. So if it's going well it's a :D , but an adverse comment produces a :( Of course, I always hope to end up with a succession of :Ds, concluding with a giant one where we not only win but get a nice chunk of costs as well.

But on one occasion I was running an appeal in the High Court in Liverpool. It was a pretty serious case, with a lot at stake, and as usual the judgment ebbed and flowed, fortunately ending up with a large :D .

The judge then got into some difficulty with the wording of the final order, as he couldn't read his note of part of the judgment. He asked our learned QC for his note, but he didn't have one, so he turned to me and asked me to hand up my note to the judge - eek! Of course I didn't have time to cross out all the smileys, but I could hardly refuse, so with a very :oops: face I handed it to the barrister, who handed it to the judge ...

I was rapidly trying to work out whether it could amount to contempt of court, when the judge, having read the relevant part, handed it back to the barrister and said with the merest shadow of a smile."It would appear that your instructing solicitor is pleased with your efforts Mr X".

A sharp exit was called for!

hermit100
Lemon Pip

Postby hermit100 » December 4th, 2016, 1:05 am

Jonetc15 wrote:I'll be grateful to know if simply clicking on the case name in the first link will get me logged on to the live broadcast.
Jon

I believe so. I hope it doesn't crash!

Return to “Does anyone know?”