Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Telephone Query

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
sg31
Lemon Quarter

Telephone Query

Postby sg31 » January 13th, 2020, 9:02 pm

A close friend has an aunt who has suspected dementia has asked me a question and I can't answer. I'm hoping someone will be able to offer assistance. Here is his question...

Wonder if you might have an idea, my Aunt keeps messing with her house phone and is hence calling various numbers. The phone bills are getting quite significant and she can’t seem to grasp what she’s doing. The main one is 118500 which is factory preset.
Do you know if there’s a facility to isolate or limit her outgoing calls to still allow her to ring us in case of an emergency, but stop any other numbers dialling. It’s effectively like restricting a child from ringing out..

I think it would be best if it was possible to only allow calls to friends and family. It seems the current phone has some preset numbers so she might pick the phone up and press 0 for instance and it dials the number preset as 0. Obviously a phone without preset numbers would be better or one with the option to set the presets to ones of their choice.

Other than that is there a way to restrict outgoing calls to certain numbers only.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Telephone Query

Postby AF62 » January 13th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Assuming they are with BT then they offer Network Controlled Calling as a solution - https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAnd ... /index.htm

Network Controlled Calling (NCC)
We’ll work with you to agree a list of up to 10 UK numbers that can be called from the customer’s landline. Choose your numbers carefully, as you can only change them once very six months. Most people choose to limit calls to immediate family members, carers or the doctors.

We then restrict calls made from that line so you can only call those numbers, the emergency services (999 and 112), and our fault repair service (151).

Incoming calls carry on an normal.

NCC might not be the best option for you if you’re going to need to call more than 10 numbers, or if you’ll need to change them a lot.

Alternatively and mentioned on the same webpage they offer 123 and 118 call barring -

123 and 118 call barring
Another way of limiting unnecessary call charges is to bar calls to all numbers with 123 or 118 prefixes.

That covers the Speaking Clock and Directory Enquiries Services, which some people with dementia or an OCD tend to call repeatedly.

If you’re interested call us on 0800 919 591 (8am to 5pm Mondays to Fridays) or email ncc.g@bt.com.

And then they suggest their own phones which you can block specific outbound calls and types of call -

Or you could get phones like the BT8600 Advanced Call Blocker. It, as well as a range of our phones, can block outgoing calls to certain numbers or number types

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 13th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Thank you. When I received his email I sent an email back to ask the details of the line provider. I've just got a reply saying it's Virgin.

I'll get him to check if they have a similar facility to BT.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 13th, 2020, 9:56 pm

sg31 wrote:Thank you. When I received his email I sent an email back to ask the details of the line provider. I've just got a reply saying it's Virgin.

I'll get him to check if they have a similar facility to BT.

Having previously been a customer of Virgin for many years, I doubt it as they seemed to significantly lag behind what BT offered.

If he doesn't get any joy from Virgin (and god help him trying to deal with their offshore call centres) then he could try asking the question on this forum https://www.cableforum.uk/board/ which has a few knowledgeable Virgin staff posting.

If Virgin don't then I can testify to changing suppliers and retaining your phone number is far easier these days than it used to be, having in the last few years swapped from Virgin to Sky and then to BT.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » January 13th, 2020, 10:15 pm

sg31 wrote:A close friend has an aunt who has suspected dementia has asked me a question and I can't answer. I'm hoping someone will be able to offer assistance. Here is his question...

Wonder if you might have an idea, my Aunt keeps messing with her house phone and is hence calling various numbers. The phone bills are getting quite significant and she can’t seem to grasp what she’s doing. The main one is 118500 which is factory preset.
Do you know if there’s a facility to isolate or limit her outgoing calls to still allow her to ring us in case of an emergency, but stop any other numbers dialling. It’s effectively like restricting a child from ringing out..

I think it would be best if it was possible to only allow calls to friends and family. It seems the current phone has some preset numbers so she might pick the phone up and press 0 for instance and it dials the number preset as 0. Obviously a phone without preset numbers would be better or one with the option to set the presets to ones of their choice.

Other than that is there a way to restrict outgoing calls to certain numbers only.

Virgin have their own free version 118 180 (up to 10 times a day).

Are you sure that there is no way of changing the pre-set numbers?
Most unacceptable if not.
This pdf file is typical:-
[url]https://shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/5k83/bt_converse_2200_ug_[2].pdf[/url]

Get the phone make and model and try to get its set-up details.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 14th, 2020, 9:20 am

Would something like this help: https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/139.htm

Handles incoming and outgoing calls

--kiloran

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 14th, 2020, 9:30 am

Thank you to all of you. I've passed that information on to my friend. Hopefully that will point him in the right direction.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » January 14th, 2020, 9:53 am

One possibility might be a big button photo dialer such as the one that I set up for my late mother 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure that the one I bought for my mother was made by Doro but that one seems to no longer be available, in fact big button dialers seem to be a whole product category that is dying out, but I did find this one on Amazon UK (although it actually seems to be from Germany) ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiptel-Ergopho ... B005LBQ3E0

More determined internet searching might find other models.

The idea (assuming the one linked to above works in the same way as my mum's old Doro one did) is that you connect it between the handset and the BT/Virgin/whatever phone socket. The user then doesn't need to interact with the phone keypad at all, they simply lift the handset and press one of the big buttons on the device and that then dials the corresponding pre-programmed number. Depending on the ergonomics of the handset itself you might even be able to physically hide (block off) the phone keypad itself by taping thick cardboard or similar over it to reduce user confusion.

- Julian

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » January 14th, 2020, 11:18 am

I'm with Virgin, and I pay a bit extra (about £12 a month, I think) to get all calls to UK landlines and UK mobiles free at any time. It covers 0845, but not premium rate numbers, and I have no idea about 118 numbers. It was very useful when my mum wasn't well and I was phoning for about an hour long chat once or twice a week, and an evening chat to my sister's mobile was costing over £10 for almost an hour. Might be worth looking into as well (if it covers the 118 number).

Return to “Does anyone know?”