Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

postage to china

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

postage to china

Postby didds » January 15th, 2020, 8:38 am

Ive a £20 item vbought from china - to receive a refund i need to return it at my cost. First checks indicate the postage will be just shy of a tenner - so basically i'll lose 50% in effect .

DAK of a cheaper postage to china? (small package, under a kilo, circa 6" x 4" x 2" )

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: postage to china

Postby Dod101 » January 15th, 2020, 9:12 am

I would forget it. If you don't like it donate it to a charity shop. A lot less bother and you might feel good as well! If you are returning it first and then hoping to get a refund you might never see your money, especially with Chinese New Year coming up.

Our experience of mail order from China has not been good.

Dod

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 15th, 2020, 9:54 am

My sister lives in Beijing.

On her advice we stopped posting anything to her because the Chinese mail system is so terrible that the chances of anything arriving in a timely manner, or at all, were too poor.

She doesn't post anything to us either.

DM

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » January 15th, 2020, 10:37 am

Agreed! I often buy little bits of electronic componentry from China and the interesting thing is that they invariably arrive OK though sometimes take a while. The costs of return are silly though so I just write off the occasional faulty thing as a cost of purchase. I think that the Chinese traders must have a special system which provides both very low costs and high reliability.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 15th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Dod101 wrote:I would forget it. If you don't like it donate it to a charity shop.Dod

It arrived in a non-usable state. bascially its not fit for purpose. It doesnt work. The seller requires return at my expense for a refund.
Neoither was it clear & obvious at the time of purchase that it was coming from china and it arrived in a matter of a few days - unike most china delivereies! I didn't inspect the post/packaging and that's long gone now.

I opened a paypal dispute - they said i have to return it

so ive opened a dispute with amex.... hoping basically i'll get my money back without postig it to china.

TBH I also dont trust them to refund anyway once its sent for various reasons so certainly dont want to throw silly amounts after bad.

but i don't want to derail this thread wrt cheap postage to china with a debate of paypal/amex/international selling alws etc :-)

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 15th, 2020, 3:34 pm

didds wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I would forget it. If you don't like it donate it to a charity shop.Dod

It arrived in a non-usable state. bascially its not fit for purpose. It doesnt work. The seller requires return at my expense for a refund.
Neoither was it clear & obvious at the time of purchase that it was coming from china and it arrived in a matter of a few days - unike most china delivereies! I didn't inspect the post/packaging and that's long gone now.

I opened a paypal dispute - they said i have to return it

so ive opened a dispute with amex.... hoping basically i'll get my money back without postig it to china.

TBH I also dont trust them to refund anyway once its sent for various reasons so certainly dont want to throw silly amounts after bad.

but i don't want to derail this thread wrt cheap postage to china with a debate of paypal/amex/international selling alws etc :-)

I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for your money back from the sellers and you were looking for a quick resolution? For £20 I would not be going to the trouble you are but then we are all different and have different priorities.

Dod

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » January 15th, 2020, 5:17 pm

quelquod wrote:I think that the Chinese traders must have a special system which provides both very low costs and high reliability.

The Universal Postal Union.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 15th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Dod101 wrote:
I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for your money back from the sellers

to clarify.

i sought/seek my ,money back form the sellers because what theys ent doesnt work. at all.

they require me to return at my owjn cost to receive arefund.

paypal says the same.

I cannot give it to a charity shop or sell it on ebay or whatever becasue it is useless. It does not work. It is broken already.

I am trying to find the cheapest option to post something to china.

If its easier just ignore the reasons why i may need to post something to china and please just consider the question of cheapest options to post a small package to china.

Moderator Message:
Would further posts please note the OP's entirely legitimate request to stick to the original question (highlighted above) (chas49)

cheers

didds

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » January 15th, 2020, 8:10 pm

I know this does not answer the question directly...sorry mods....

But I was in a similar position a few years ago. An M2 SSD arrived in a few days, was faulty, and I was asked to return the item to China for testing before I could get a refund. I explored the options at the time, but didn't find a satisfactory solution for sending an item to China.

As the item had obviously not come from China, and the seller had portrayed themselves as a UK seller, I challenged them on this. I may have had some evidence at the time, but I can't recall. They relented and provided me with a UK address to send the item to (I'm guessing a local shipping agent). I did have to hassle them with a few emails, but I eventually received a replacement item (which worked perfectly).

My advice is to challenge them on their requirement to send to China.

If you do get a UK address to send the item to...then even if they claim the item does not arrive, you will covered for up to 20 quid compensation from the Royal Mail if you have a certificate of posting.

regards
Elkay

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 15th, 2020, 9:31 pm

didds wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for your money back from the sellers

to clarify.

i sought/seek my ,money back form the sellers because what theys ent doesnt work. at all.

they require me to return at my owjn cost to receive arefund.

paypal says the same.

I cannot give it to a charity shop or sell it on ebay or whatever becasue it is useless. It does not work. It is broken already.

I am trying to find the cheapest option to post something to china.

If its easier just ignore the reasons why i may need to post something to china and please just consider the question of cheapest options to post a small package to china.

Moderator Message:
Would further posts please note the OP's entirely legitimate request to stick to the original question (highlighted above) (chas49)

cheers

didds

Didds

PayPal have covered my return postage costs for overseas purchases previously, but you do have to "opt in" to the scheme
https://www.paypal.com/gp/smarthelp/art ... it-faq3544

If you haven't already done so, it would be worth doing for future purchases, and you might be able to ask nicely this time.

It's actually a very simple automated process when I need to do it, and I think it allows 7 each year.

Good luck,
-sd

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » January 15th, 2020, 10:51 pm

Moderator Message:
Further posts which do not address the original question will be deleted (chas49)

Return to “Does anyone know?”