Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

WW1 street pic

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
poundcoin
Lemon Slice

WW1 street pic

Postby poundcoin » January 16th, 2020, 4:23 pm

It's a long shot but a few have been trying to identify the location of this intrigueing photo , presumably from WW1 .
There are about 100 soldiers in the street waiting to join a parade or recruitment ?
Apart from the house to the right of the shop , which may be older, the terraced houses have an unusual canopy over doorways (or passageways).
Only a couple of the men have rifles .
The shop to the left has the shop name "M.Ward" but unfortunately there were dozens of grocery shops with Ward in the name .
Obviously a regiment would help but trying to get a close up pixilates out .
Anyone recognise a location ?

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Re: WW1 street pic

Postby Meatyfool » January 16th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Well, even with the interesting feature you identified, a terrace is still pretty much a terrace!

I think the uniforms may be a better bet. Five large buttons - some regiments have different numbers. It won't narrow it down much.

The cap badge looks particularly large to me, but I am not a militaria expert - far from!

From the very long shadows time of day/time of year/compass direction(?) might be roughly calculated.

Is this a scan of a photo or something found online? If you have the photo, scan at highest resolution you can - you can't do better than the photo you already have, but might be able to glean a little more info.

There are "effects" that you can add to the photograph in Photoshop etc which may well allow you to find more info. For example, you can emphasise horizontal/vertical lines which might extract some text from signs etc.

Meatyfool..

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 16th, 2020, 5:38 pm

The caps are probably the best clue as to regiment, this might help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wwi+uni ... QfM:&vet=1

The terrace was probably bombed in the next war :)

RC

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 16th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Agreed, those doorways are pretty fancy. And almost comically tall! The shop frontage probably has useful detail, if only we could read the tinplate signs.

Google images still has a reverse "find this image" search, although I haven't used it in years. Any good? https://support.google.com/websearch/an ... ktop&hl=en

BJ

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 16th, 2020, 5:56 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Google images still has a reverse "find this image" search, although I haven't used it in years. Any good?

I've tried that, but no luck. It does find Anita Street in Manchester which has very similar architecture.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... d-13465652

But it's not that, the OP's photo is of a street on a slope with staggered roofs, in Anita Street all the roofs are all on the same level, so its on flat ground.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 16th, 2020, 6:06 pm

No I don't have the original so can't scan any clearer , its on a FB page that tries to discover unidentified photos .
https://www.facebook.com/groups/825630921200236/ (for anyone interested in that kind of thing) .

I'm not very good on uniforms but thought because of lack of rifles it might be a "pals" division from Yorks/Lancs .

I think one of the tin signs says Colmans Mustard which were on practically every grocers in the country :)

BJ , I've tried a reverse search and bizarrely it comes up with "almshouses"

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » January 16th, 2020, 6:49 pm

I can't help with the location but I do wonder how many of the men pictured came home.

Fingers

Postby Fingers » January 16th, 2020, 7:38 pm

The rooflines with firebreaks indicate Greater London to me. Northern terraces usually have unbroken rooflines.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 16th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Fingers wrote:The rooflines with firebreaks indicate Greater London to me. Northern terraces usually have unbroken rooflines.

Could be and also the road seems wider than most terraced streets but I assumed there was a slope to the road which would explain the stepped roofs .

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 16th, 2020, 10:10 pm

poundcoin wrote:
Fingers wrote:The rooflines with firebreaks indicate Greater London to me. Northern terraces usually have unbroken rooflines.

Could be and also the road seems wider than most terraced streets but I assumed there was a slope to the road which would explain the stepped roofs .

I'd not realised that there was a regional aspect to that part of house design, but the houses going across the top of the photo appear to be on one level but still have broken rooflines, which suggests firebreaks.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 16th, 2020, 10:59 pm

Highly probable it's a Pals Regiment (could be a photograph before departing)

AiYn'U

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 17th, 2020, 12:17 am

Can't see any real clues

Some "out there" observations

1. Left hand row of terraces - fourth house has "four" chimney pots and a slightly steeper roof pitch
  2. Right hand row of terraces - last house is taller than the rest of the street
  3. No street lights
  4. No gullies in road at bottom of street
  5. Possible road name sign is white sign closest to window above shop front
  6. Shop window surrounds are the same as the left hand side of street but next house differs. Why?

Suspect it's an industrial town/market town - not a city

AiYn'U

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 17th, 2020, 8:26 am

If the white rectangular sign is a street sign, it might help narrow down or eliminate some towns or cities. For example Stoke tended to have long thin signs with the words on a single line, whereas the one in the picture is on two lines.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 17th, 2020, 8:57 am

staffordian wrote:If the white rectangular sign is a street sign, it might help narrow down or eliminate some towns or cities. For example Stoke tended to have long thin signs with the words on a single line, whereas the one in the picture is on two lines.

The person that had the photograph could only make out "Street" on the square sign but the actual name was illegible .

I spent an hour last night doing a reverse search using the search term " Liverpool Terrace" "Manchester Terrace" and then randomly all the major towns in the North that came in to my head .
After looking at 100s of pics , It wasn't until I got to "Halifax terrace" that I found a street (without a front garden) that had those distinctive canopies over the doorways . That street too was plainly stone built .
Even then the canopies didn't have those ornamental supports .

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 17th, 2020, 9:03 am

The label mouldings with tall decorative consoles above entrances are pretty distinctive. There are similar ones in this street in Exmouth, Devon, though the doors and houses are quite different:

https://www.alamy.com/exmouth-devon-eng ... 02670.html

Based on this and the chimney and window styles, perhaps you could get an accurate date of construction. Doesn't help too much though because this type of street was going up all over the place. Looks like the kind of street that would have been cleared for modern housing after the war in Manchester.

As others asked, what is the source of this image? If it's a photo could the owner post a higher resolution scan?

GS

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 17th, 2020, 9:16 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

Right hand row of terraces - last house is taller than the rest of the street[*]

AiYn'U

I wondered if that was the back of a chapel or some such on the road at the top that runs at right angles

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 17th, 2020, 3:37 pm

poundcoin wrote:No I don't have the original so can't scan any clearer , its on a FB page that tries to discover unidentified photos .
https://www.facebook.com/groups/825630921200236/ (for anyone interested in that kind of thing) . ...

Unfortunately that appears to be a private group but do the originators, by any chance, have access to the reverse (I doubt it though)?

I've tried wading through some postcard websites without success. I now you see you say it is a photograph. If they have the original, is there anything at all on the reverse? They often say where printed.

Btw has anyone mentioned the shadow front right, shading what appears to be a dog? Church or similar.

As you know, I find your occasional queries fascinating, as clearly do others. Most reside at "History", which is fairly quiet. Do report your post if you want this Topic to be moved there, such that they are all easily found over there.

Did you get further with this one?:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=13307&p=161479#p161479

An update there would be of interest.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 17th, 2020, 5:35 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
poundcoin wrote:Unfortunately that appears to be a private group but do the originators, by any chance, have access to the reverse (I doubt it though)?

Btw has anyone mentioned the shadow front right, shading what appears to be a dog? Church or similar.

As you know, I find your occasional queries fascinating, as clearly do others. Most reside at "History", which is fairly quiet. Do report your post if you want this Topic to be moved there, such that they are all easily found over there.

Did you get further with this one?:

Hi PD

I have asked the person that posted the image if there was anything on the back .....usually if there is , most post the reverse ,so waiting for an answer .
I queried that shadow on the FB page thinking like you it was a church tower but another thought it was a 5 pot chimney ?

I did first think of putting it on the "History board" but there seemed so few posts there , didn't think there would be much response .

To be honest I had forgotten all about that previous search re Honfleur , will have a dig around to see if there's an update .

There are plenty of unsolved pics on that FB page should you feel like joining (link above) . All the posters so far have been very civilised :)

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 17th, 2020, 5:40 pm

GoSeigen wrote:The label mouldings with tall decorative consoles above entrances are pretty distinctive. There are similar ones in this street in Exmouth, Devon, though the doors and houses are quite different:

GS

Thanks GS for that photo ,
That's the first terrace I have seen with those canopies and supports (corbels ? )
. Looks like a search in the Southern regions now !

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » January 17th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Imbiber wrote:I can't help with the location but I do wonder how many of the men pictured came home.

I read something the other day that came as a big surprise to me........ that 9 out of 10 of UK men who signed up for the First World War came home......far more than I expected. There were about 750,000 who didn't make it.

Return to “Does anyone know?”