Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Lichen on solar panels

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Lichen on solar panels

Postby mc2fool » April 11th, 2020, 10:54 am

dspp wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Copper. Many years ago the roofers used to put a copper strip at the top of the roof. As it rained and the rainwater ran over it, it produced stuff that killed moss.

No moss = no lichens

I'd suggest you shop around for something that could be fitted to the panels and I'm surprised they aren't built in as standard?

Purely an example (a bad one at that)

AiYn'U

Lead has the same effect.

Ha! I wish! :D No, it doesn't. We have lead flashing all round and not only doesn't it prevent moss/lichens, in places the stuff grows on the lead!

https://imgur.com/a/9WZMit2
Taken a bit after most of the moss had been scraped off....

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » April 11th, 2020, 12:49 pm

mc2fool wrote:
dspp wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Copper. Many years ago the roofers used to put a copper strip at the top of the roof. As it rained and the rainwater ran over it, it produced stuff that killed moss.

No moss = no lichens

I'd suggest you shop around for something that could be fitted to the panels and I'm surprised they aren't built in as standard?

Purely an example (a bad one at that)

AiYn'U

Lead has the same effect.

Ha! I wish! :D No, it doesn't. We have lead flashing all round and not only doesn't it prevent moss/lichens, in places the stuff grows on the lead!

https://imgur.com/a/9WZMit2
Taken a bit after most of the moss had been scraped off....

That's interesting. Many years ago I observed some roofs where lead appeared to have had the effect I described, i.e. no lichen or moss below the leaded sections, plenty below unleaded sections. Hence my comment. I wonder what is going on with your roof, or what was going on on the roof I observed, that would account for this. It seems I unlearn something from time to time !

regards, dspp

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » April 11th, 2020, 2:06 pm

dspp wrote:That's interesting. Many years ago I observed some roofs where lead appeared to have had the effect I described, i.e. no lichen or moss below the leaded sections, plenty below unleaded sections. Hence my comment. I wonder what is going on with your roof, or what was going on on the roof I observed, that would account for this. It seems I unlearn something from time to time !

regards, dspp

Perhaps that roof had zinc flashing?

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » April 11th, 2020, 2:52 pm

In the photo I can see what looks more like algae than lichen. Are you sure it is (was) lichen?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 11th, 2020, 4:14 pm

madhatter wrote:In the photo I can see what looks more like algae than lichen. Are you sure it is (was) lichen?

I'm sure it was over an inch thick in places before it was scraped off. ;)

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » April 11th, 2020, 5:37 pm

supremetwo wrote:
dspp wrote:That's interesting. Many years ago I observed some roofs where lead appeared to have had the effect I described, i.e. no lichen or moss below the leaded sections, plenty below unleaded sections. Hence my comment. I wonder what is going on with your roof, or what was going on on the roof I observed, that would account for this. It seems I unlearn something from time to time !

regards, dspp

Perhaps that roof had zinc flashing?

I'm not sure, but possibly. If I am back in that area one day I will take a look. It might be a few years though. regards, dspp

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm

mc2fool wrote:
madhatter wrote: Are you sure it is (was) lichen?

I'm sure it was over an inch thick in places before it was scraped off.

inch? Moss.

Never heard of lead being a moss/lichen deterrent. Maybe, but the runoff is very staining.

Copper, yes indeed. I added a copper strip to the ridge of a cedar roof in the hope of deterring moss.

V8

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 11th, 2020, 8:56 pm

Slight tangent -is run off from lead toxic ? (Obviously lead is horrendously toxic)
I grew up in a house with lead pipes, so we had to run the water for a few minutes each morning. Hard water area though, so I hopefully escaped brain damage (although those who have met me via TMF/TLF may have a different opinion..)

unisolar

Postby unisolar » February 20th, 2024, 11:29 am

Cleaning the panels may enhance their efficiency, particularly if the lichen buildup is severe. Effectiveness of Cleaning Cleaning the panels may improve their efficiency. Even a slight increase in the amount of sunlight that is absorbed can result in a discernible improvement in the amount of power that is produced.

Professional Cleaning: Because lichen is able to adhere to surfaces in a strong manner, it is recommended that you engage a cleaning business that specializes in solar panel cleaning and has experience in this field. They are equipped with the knowledge and tools required to remove the lichen in a manner that is both safe and effective, without causing any damage to the panels.

Cleaning Frequency: In order to keep your solar panels operating at their best, you may need to clean them on a regular basis. This will depend on the location of your solar panels and the environmental elements that are present. Depending on the rate at which the accumulation occurs, this could occur anywhere from once a year to once every few years.

When doing a cost-benefit analysis, it is important to take into account the potential increase in power output in comparison to the expense of using a professional cleaning service. In the event that the accumulation is not particularly significant and does not have a significant influence on output, you could decide to postpone cleaning until it becomes more noticeable.

Even though it is normally advised that homeowners hire professionals to clean their homes, there are some homeowners who choose to clean their homes themselves using water and a light detergent. However, in order to avoid wrecking the panels or rendering warranties null and void, this method calls for extreme caution.

The amount of lichen that has accumulated on your photovoltaic panels, your financial limitations, and the anticipated return on investment in terms of increased electricity output all play a role in the decision to clean them. By consulting with a solar panel cleaning firm that has a good reputation, you can receive individualized guidance that is tailored to your particular circumstances.
Moderator Message:
This post has been highlighted several times as a potential bot/spam.
The issue is under consideration. In the meantime...
unisolar, maybe you'd like to tell us something about yourself?
Everyone else, please stick to the issue under discussion and avoid speculating about the motives of other posters
Thanks, Gryffron

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » February 20th, 2024, 11:37 am

There was some lichen on a few of solar panels (installed in 2011). As they are on the flat roof of part of our house they are easy to get at and I found the lichen came off easily with some water and gentle scraping with a bit of wood. This did not scratch the panels. This was the first time I had done it.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 20th, 2024, 12:44 pm

unisolar wrote:Cleaning the panels may enhance their efficiency

Thanks, Arti.

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 20th, 2024, 12:57 pm

swill453 wrote:

Thanks, Arti.

Scott.

I was on the fence there.
My inner technical pendant thought that cleaning could only be able to, at best, restore something to its nominal efficiency rather than improve it
..then I wondered if this was the kind of linguistic frisson I could expect in a textual uncanny valley

I hope they're not just doing market research for the matrix... at least they're polite though :)

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 20th, 2024, 1:20 pm

swill453 wrote:

Thanks, Arti.

Scott.

That is the tl:dr of that whole post!

The post is written in a manner that suggests it is written by an AI bot . It written as a series of generalities with nothing specifically relating to, or referring to, the thread.

Might be useful to leave it up though?

Watis

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 20th, 2024, 1:50 pm

Watis wrote:
swill453 wrote:Thanks, Arti.

Scott.

That is the tl:dr of that whole post!

The post is written in a manner that suggests it is written by an AI bot . It written as a series of generalities with nothing specifically relating to, or referring to, the thread.

And furthermore it has followed the pattern of other suspected AI bot posts in being the first (and only) post of a new user that signed up immediately before posting and replied to a well long inactive thread; almost 4 years in this case.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 20th, 2024, 3:19 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Watis wrote:That is the tl:dr of that whole post!

And furthermore it has followed the pattern of other suspected AI bot posts in being the first (and only) post of a new user that signed up immediately before posting and replied to a well long inactive thread; almost 4 years in this case.

This has to stop, all we're doing is helping them pass. I've said before they're amongst us already, soon it'll be dogs at entry to the bunkers and tests with tortoises on their backs. I worry it's too late but I'm going to try and stop easing the deception as of this post. Pass the foil.

I use washing soda to inhibit and remove mosses and lichens. It works as it raises the pH I think.

ayshfm1
Lemon Slice

Postby ayshfm1 » February 20th, 2024, 8:16 pm

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » February 20th, 2024, 8:51 pm

There’s a lichen fan club on Mastodon, under the hashtag #LichenSubscribe (also #Mosstodon)
https://mastodon.top/tags/lichensubscribe
I particularly like (lich?) this one https://mastodon.scot/@FaithfullJohn/111947496539610679

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » March 3rd, 2024, 6:22 pm

Oh, and if anyone has a problem with the other common problem - birdshit - then lookee here https://www.pv-magazine.com/2024/02/28/ ... rom-birds/

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 3rd, 2024, 8:25 pm

Moderator Message:
There was a moderator request upthread to avoid off-topic discussion of the motives of a particular poster. This has sadly not been observed. And in any case all this discussion is off-topic for DAK.

I am locking this now.

(chas49)

Return to “Does anyone know?”