Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Unused car during long self-isolation

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Unused car during long self-isolation

Postby Jonetc15 » March 19th, 2020, 11:46 am

For medical reasons my wife and I are long-term 'self-isolated' and our car won't/shouldn't be used for the duration of the current crisis (apart from a possible very sudden and major problem). It's a Skoda Yeti.

I wonder what a totally non-mechanical couple such as us should do to keep it as free from problems as possible - e.g. moving it to save tyres flat-spotting (we have a large turning area at the top of a relatively steep 40 metre drive), how often and how long to run the engine etc.

TIA for advice
Jon

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Unused car during long self-isolation

Postby tjh290633 » March 19th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Have a look at Honest John's website:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

There is a question about just that.

TJH

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 19th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:I wonder what a totally non-mechanical couple such as us should do to keep it as free from problems as possible - e.g. moving it to save tyres flat-spotting (we have a large turning area at the top of a relatively steep 40 metre drive), how often and how long to run the engine etc.

The most important consideration is to look after the battery. Modern cars will have a small drain on the battery (eg, the alarm system) even if the ignition turned off. For long term storage a trickle charger can keep the battery charged and healthy.

As for running the engine and moving the car, I have a classic Mini that I take off the road over winter. I find that running it once a month is sufficient to keep things running smoothly. If you start the engine, run it long enough to warm it up to normal running temperature. This helps to get the oil well distributed and prevents condensation in the exhaust pipe from rusting it away from the inside.

If you are storing it outdoors, then it may be a good idea to leave the handbrake off to prevent rust from making the brakes stick on. If so, block all the wheels and (if a manual) leave it in gear to prevent it rolling away.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » March 19th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:For medical reasons my wife and I are long-term 'self-isolated' and our car won't/shouldn't be used for the duration of the current crisis (apart from a possible very sudden and major problem). It's a Skoda Yeti.

I wonder what a totally non-mechanical couple such as us should do to keep it as free from problems as possible - e.g. moving it to save tyres flat-spotting (we have a large turning area at the top of a relatively steep 40 metre drive), how often and how long to run the engine etc.

TIA for advice
Jon

Jon

I hope this may be a helpful suggestion.

Mrs H and I are in the older age group and so we are socially distancing. However we have twice made a picnic and driven out to a car park with a nice view. Luckily we have a few near us and now can also go to a National Trust house nearby and use their massive car park and grounds. We park well away from others, so aren't spreading or getting an infection. We do go for a walk from the car as well but stay in friendly nodding distance away from any other walkers.

This gives us and the car a little bit of exercise. We are lucky that we don't have to go far to find a large car park. If I lived in a city, I might drive to a DIY type retail park with a massive landscaped car park and picnic there. So, I guess a 20 minute drive once a week might be a solution? It gets one out of the house and it is a change of scenery.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Howard

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 19th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Breelander wrote:The most important consideration is to look after the battery. Modern cars will have a small drain on the battery (eg, the alarm system) even if the ignition turned off. For long term storage a trickle charger can keep the battery charged and healthy.

could one not just disconnect the battery and reconnect it when needed?

didd

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 19th, 2020, 2:56 pm

didds wrote:could one not just disconnect the battery and reconnect it when needed?

For a while, maybe. Though depending on the alarm system this may disable the car. I have seen a BMW where disconnecting the battery triggered its immobiliser.

But the main advantage of charging is that a lead/acid battery can suffer from sulfation of the plates if not charged regularly.

Battery University wrote:Permanent sulfation sets in when the battery has been in a low state-of-charge for weeks or months. At this stage, no form of restoration seems possible...
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/art ... prevent_it

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 19th, 2020, 3:31 pm

As has been said - you can self isolate extreely easily in a motor vehicle.

As long as you have fuel, why not go out for the odd drive?

FWIW our BMW can sit for 3 weeks and still start on the key. I tend to do a minimum 5 miles when I run it, to get things warmed through, although at sub 20mpg a lot of heat is generated per mile, so a more modern economical diesel might take a while longer. If the exhaust tips are hot when I get back, I think that is OK.

Paul

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 21st, 2020, 10:19 am

didds wrote:could one not just disconnect the battery and reconnect it when needed?

Unless the car is very basic and has no modern electrikery, even changing the battery can discombobulate the central control unit. I believe one can disconnect it for perhaps 20 minutes before getting into trouble..
So, no.

A trickle charger like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTEK-MXS-3-8 ... SwY2pebmCS will keep the battery happy, but as Howard says one can still go out to t'country. Just take a pair of disposable gloves so you can interface with a petrol pump &/or card machine.

This will also avoid problems with the ethanol separating in your fuel if it is left standing a long time. Otherwise add fuel stabiliser like this to the tank https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Safe-Guard-E ... Swf-BctYj0

V8

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » March 21st, 2020, 10:34 am

If parked on a slope, I would move it occasionally.
When I used to return home after several months I used to find that the handbrake used to 'stick' when the handle was released.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 21st, 2020, 12:14 pm

Don't forget you can SORN it.

DM

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » March 22nd, 2020, 12:17 pm

Quite a lot of the electronics in modern cars doesn't like this. So it is unlikely to be a good idea. You'll almost certainly find the stereo locks itself (you do know the passcode, right?) and many other electronic devices like security and engine management systems don't like it either. Disconnecting the battery for a length of time could leave you with a big repair bill.
Much better to get a cheap trickle charger. You can get solar ones if it is not near the power.

Of course if it is a much older car, and free of electronics, then disconnecting will work fine.

That's progress for you.

Gryff

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » March 23rd, 2020, 10:00 am

Is there any way to discover which car models permit safe battery disconnection ?
It is something that I need to do every year.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 23rd, 2020, 1:09 pm

stockton wrote:Is there any way to discover which car models permit safe battery disconnection ?
It is something that I need to do every year.

I would assume all modern cars are problematic in this respect. Go for a classic pre 2000 model and you should be OK.

John

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » March 29th, 2020, 8:51 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Have a look at Honest John's website:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

There is a question about just that.

TJH

I am really sorry not to have replied until now with my thanks to TJH (the first to answer my question) and everyone else for the very helpful guide as to looking after our car while off the road.

My wife and I are in total self-isolation for medical reasons, and we have agreed that the car will not leave our drive for the duration, other than in the most dire possible emergency. We really appreciate the time and trouble taken by all of you to help us.

ATB
Jon

Return to “Does anyone know?”