Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

video conferencing

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
niord
Lemon Pip

video conferencing

Postby niord » March 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm

I live in a small community of 15 properties, we are set up as a company and we manage it ourselves. We are due to hold an AGM in the next few weeks which for obvious reasons nobody now wants to attend in person.

I was wondering if anybody knows and could recommend any free, simple to use video conferencing software we could use as a one off.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: video conferencing

Postby didds » March 19th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Uve been looking for options for a more social interaction admittedly.

People have suggested to me skype does this. You can also apparently apply for a webex acocunt (free) but its takes time etc.

Istarted to look at FreeConferenceCall.com 0 siumilar free systems are available. There are ads in the free accounts but it says only when you first log on and in any emails they send you.

Ive not managed to use it in anger yet , but i'd be interested in whatever solution you may manage to trial/use etc

cheers

didds

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 19th, 2020, 4:08 pm

niord wrote:I live in a small community of 15 properties, we are set up as a company and we manage it ourselves. We are due to hold an AGM in the next few weeks which for obvious reasons nobody now wants to attend in person.

I was wondering if anybody knows and could recommend any free, simple to use video conferencing software we could use as a one off.

skype = 50

https://9to5mac.com/2019/04/05/skype-update/

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » March 20th, 2020, 9:04 am

Zoom is an option. My wife uses it extensively.
There is a free version which allows you to make limited calls (you have to reconnect after 40 minutes). But no limit on how many calls you make.
Paid versions (approx £15/month) allow unlimited time.

She tells me it's great.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 20th, 2020, 9:08 am

Mrs RS prefers Zoom to anything else she has tried. She uses the pay version for business.

John

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » March 20th, 2020, 9:14 am

Gaggsy wrote:Zoom is an option

And by the way, it's only the instigator of the conference call that needs the paid version to make it unlimited length. They just invite others to the call and the invitees can be on the free version.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » March 20th, 2020, 9:51 am

niord wrote:I live in a small community of 15 properties, we are set up as a company and we manage it ourselves. We are due to hold an AGM in the next few weeks which for obvious reasons nobody now wants to attend in person.

Not a direct answer to the question (I don't have a suggestion for suitable software), but an indirect one that may be of interest to readers here.
Sharesoc have a blog on PLCs using online streaming and video conferencing for their AGMs (which IMHO is a good thing if it can be developed to enhance/include/increase participation and not be used as a pretext to exclude investors):
https://www.sharesoc.org/blog/shareholder-democracy/agms-and-impact-of-covid-19/
One thing that the OP might like to consider is whether their organisation's T&Cs permit holding an AGM where there is no physical meeting. The T&Cs may be silent on the matter, but just a thought :-)

niord
Lemon Pip

Postby niord » March 20th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

The directors have decided just to postpone the actual meeting for a few months whist sending the accounts out by email

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » March 20th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Hope this is not OT.

Thanks for the advice above.

Could I ask a related question? I would like to "facetime" with an elderly friend. He has an Ipad but no PC so I will have to use my "elderly" seven year old + Ipad. It's software is ios 9.35. So I don't think it can use Airplay.

I would like to link it to my widescreen Samsung smart TV so Mrs H and I can see a larger picture. (I realise the Ipad camera will need to point at us as well). Is there a way of linking the Ipad wirelessly?

Any suggestions appreciated.

regards

Howard

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 20th, 2020, 4:38 pm

something like chromecast ? 9no idea whether anything you mention is compantible with it, but my andriopd phone can mirror its screen to chromecast so maybe something similar is available for an ipad?)

didds

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 21st, 2020, 12:11 pm

niord wrote:Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

The directors have decided just to postpone the actual meeting for a few months whist sending the accounts out by email

+1 on making sure that the rules allow a fully non-physical meeting. I act for two companies, one can, the other cannot, although the quorum is two so its not too much of a hardship.

Equally, check the date by which the AGM *has* to be held. When last I looked thems what are in charge were saying that we all just had to lump the restrictions and have the meet anyway.

DM

Return to “Does anyone know?”