Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

To lockdown or not to lockdown?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

To lockdown or not to lockdown?

Postby didds » March 24th, 2020, 7:46 am

DAK of a GOVERNMENT website that outlines what the PM has introduced as of last night, with interpretations etc ?

Im already seeing ambiguous messages and reports inclding things he diddnt say.

ta!

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Re: To lockdown or not to lockdown?

Postby didds » March 24th, 2020, 8:08 am

physician heal thyself!

found it

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... march-2020

That's the transscript of the PM's speech and includes

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;
any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

I suppose the crux is the interpretation on "necessary" - but that is not a DAK.

cheers!

didds

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 24th, 2020, 8:11 am

didds wrote:DAK of a GOVERNMENT website that outlines what the PM has introduced as of last night, with interpretations etc ?

Im already seeing ambiguous messages and reports inclding things he diddnt say.

ta!

didds

From another thread, coutesy of PinkDalek:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=22468&view=unread#unread

HTH, (helped me!)

Watis

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 24th, 2020, 1:56 pm

didds wrote:
travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

I suppose the crux is the interpretation on "necessary" - but that is not a DAK.
didds

I'd call that commendably clear. You should travel to work only when it can't be done from home.

Shame all this didn't happen a generation ago: if the world had had this little shock and nudge, maybe we'd have a generation behind us of knowledge workers being liberated from the Dilbertian office - and roads&rail freed up for those with better reasons to travel.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » March 24th, 2020, 4:03 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I'd call that commendably clear. You should travel to work only when it can't be done from home.

Well here's a conundrum. Our carpet fitter has just called to cancel our fitting tomorrow.

He clearly can't work from home but can work 'from' my house. Not that bothered to be honest but shows how things could be interpreted.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » March 24th, 2020, 4:21 pm

Maroochydore wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:I'd call that commendably clear. You should travel to work only when it can't be done from home.

Well here's a conundrum. Our carpet fitter has just called to cancel our fitting tomorrow.

He clearly can't work from home but can work 'from' my house. Not that bothered to be honest but shows how things could be interpreted.

As far as I can see, the government want to minimise as much as possible contact between households, so when you're out you should keep 2m away from everyone else not from your household. The logic of your carpet fitter is sound, they may be unable to socially distance and will inevitably touch surfaces that you have touched, which could transfer the virus to you, or vice-versa, spreading the virus to another household. Also there's a possibility that someone in their household is in a vulnerable category.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 24th, 2020, 4:29 pm

ah yes... the nuance I was meaning is that some are taking "absolutely necessary" to mean "o0nly essential for the contry" wheras others take that to mean "business continuity" and others that "my mortgage depends on it".

the ambiguity is in what "absolutely necessary" alludes to.

UPDATE:l Ive just been pointed at this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rom-others

1. Staying at home

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons:

Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

QED, if you cannot do the job from home any job can still be done

didds

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 24th, 2020, 4:41 pm

I now have a text message from a sender identifying as "UK_Gov", but identified by Android as probable spam.

New rules in force now. You must stay at home.

I was out at the time. Shopping. For the first time since my lurgy cleared up to a point where I'm confident I'm not spreading germs - albeit those of a common cold.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » March 24th, 2020, 5:53 pm

One thing that’s puzzled me is that Gove specifically said (answering a question this morning) that he thought that golf would be a bad idea. Why? Of all the activities that provide exercise combined with natural isolation (assuming common sense on tee and green) I’d have thought it well up there. All the courses near me have closed now.

(I declare an interest ;) ).

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 24th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Maroochydore wrote:

Why is that conundrum? Nearly all people in the trades are taking the same line, and it is perfectly rational. Tradesmen will go house to house and can never know if they are spreading the virus.
Except for emergency plumbing, gas, drains etc, I doubt whether many of the trades can be considered essential, and they are certainly a vector for the spread which we are trying to avoid.

Arb.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 24th, 2020, 6:54 pm

quelquod wrote:One thing that’s puzzled me is that Gove specifically said (answering a question this morning) that he thought that golf would be a bad idea.

Golf is always a bad idea. Deadly missiles are not an asset to our open spaces.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » March 24th, 2020, 9:28 pm

quelquod wrote:One thing that’s puzzled me is that Gove specifically said (answering a question this morning) that he thought that golf would be a bad idea. Why? Of all the activities that provide exercise combined with natural isolation (assuming common sense on tee and green) I’d have thought it well up there. All the courses near me have closed now.

I think you’re being a bit naive. I don’t know any club where you can go straight from the car park to the first tee, play a round alone and head home. Going into the pro shop to pay your green fee or to the locker room to put on your spikes are obviously stupidly risky. Even handling the pin isn’t ideal.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 24th, 2020, 9:59 pm

quelquod wrote:One thing that’s puzzled me is that Gove specifically said (answering a question this morning) that he thought that golf would be a bad idea. Why? Of all the activities that provide exercise combined with natural isolation (assuming common sense on tee and green) I’d have thought it well up there. All the courses near me have closed now.

another friend of mine has been told he cannot sit alone on a canal bank and do/be/go angling... aka fishig etc

didds
Last edited by didds on March 24th, 2020, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 24th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Tradesmen will go house to house and can never know if they are spreading the virus.

indeed - or of course contracting it from said houses...

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 24th, 2020, 10:04 pm

Spet0789 wrote: I don’t know any club where you can go straight from the car park to the first tee, play a round alone and head home. Going into the
pro shop to pay your green fee or to the locker room to put on your spikes are obviously stupidly risky. Even handling the pin isn’t ideal.

id agree - other than surely theyve worked out some way of paying green fees online so there is no contact, you can put your shoes on once you are at the cou8rse's grass ie off the tarmc and put your day shoes in the gof bag - as ofr moving the pin.. a towel? carried in the bag?

I dont play golf so maybe these are more complicated tan i can begin to imagine but it doesnt on the face of it seem to be a diffult circle to square?

didds

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 25th, 2020, 6:28 am

Moderator Message:
The OP's DAK has been answered. This thread now closed.

Return to “Does anyone know?”