Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

C-19 advice line

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

C-19 advice line

Postby didds » March 25th, 2020, 8:19 am

I apreciate there is a "single" Coronavirus thread so if this is not permitted admins please join this with it - but its isnt really about C-19 itself but the wider not-quite-lockdown scneario...

where can one go for advice on scenarios regarding movement during this not-quite-lockdown?

In the last 12 hours we have now three scenarios that have raised themselves, none of which stricly come under the 4 reasons to leave the house but “have” to be done … I was wondering if there is some sort govt helpline to advise ? I could phone the non emergency Police number I suppose but they must be inundated with calls already poor buggers

The 3 scenarioos we have are as follows, but I dont intend to start a "do this/no do that/its obvuous/no its not" discussion. These are here to erely reflect what has arisen - and you'll see they are "important" but do not fall under the ciurrent permisstted reason to move outsid eof home

- daughter home from uni but all gerr stuff needs collecting from her uni halls in London
- man sorting our campervan sauys as he can work on it with social diatnacing etc and cannot do it from home he will have it finished by Sunday and we should collect it from him on Sunday - 40 miles away
- daughetr (as above) says her uni friend that she last physically saw twenty-one days ago now, devekoped C-19 symptoms yesterday. I cant find any advice on what to do in friend-of-family-member scenario regadring 14 day housebound lockdowns.

I am NOT looking for answers to these three I reiterate as (WADR to you all) we'll end get a bell curce of suggestions :-) I CAN see that strictly speaking the first two mean no travel for them. Ive receibed from two NHS working frontline staff friends and family extreme opposite advce - one says 14 day lockdown the other carry on as usual for now!

So - is there a givt helpline to advise? (I suspect not)

didds

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: C-19 advice line

Postby Watis » March 25th, 2020, 8:52 am

I have a definitive answer for your second issue, the campervan. My car had its service and MOT yesterday so I was keen to establish whether garages would be affected by the lockdown announced on Monday evening.

It is now clear that garages are considered an essential service as they keep our vehicles MOT'd and roadworthy for those essential journeys.

HTH,

Watis

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 25th, 2020, 9:07 am

Watis wrote:I have a definitive answer for your second issue, the campervan. My car had its service and MOT yesterday so I was keen to establish whether garages would be affected by the lockdown announced on Monday evening.

It is now clear that garages are considered an essential service as they keep our vehicles MOT'd and roadworthy for those essential journeys.

HTH,

Watis

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/on ... ot-centres

Ongoing issues with MOT Centres

To protect the health and safety of staff and customers, and as a precautionary measure, the DVA has suspended MOT testing for most cars and light goods vehicles.
Jump to table of contents

The DVA has suspended all MOT tests for three months with immediate effect, until 22 June 2020. Further information at Coronavirus (Covid 19) and motoring page.

Think you must have squuezed under the wire :-D

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 25th, 2020, 9:38 am

didds wrote:https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/on ... ot-centres

Ongoing issues with MOT Centres

To protect the health and safety of staff and customers, and as a precautionary measure, the DVA has suspended MOT testing for most cars and light goods vehicles.
Jump to table of contents

The DVA has suspended all MOT tests for three months with immediate effect, until 22 June 2020. Further information at Coronavirus (Covid 19) and motoring page.

Think you must have squuezed under the wire :-D

That's Northern Ireland, which has a different MOT system I think, though I wouldn't be surprised with a similar announcement for the rest of the UK.

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 25th, 2020, 9:44 am

And right on cue: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020

(Extended for 6 months if due on or after 30 March.)

Scott.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 25th, 2020, 9:49 am

I heard on the news yesterday they were postponing MOT on trucks, trailers and coaches and cars to be looked at.

For didds here's the gen from the government on isolating. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rom-others

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 25th, 2020, 9:51 am

kempiejon wrote:I heard on the news yesterday they were postponing MOT on trucks, trailers and coaches and cars to be looked at.

Now done, see above.

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 25th, 2020, 10:08 am

There really is no one place to go that can answer every eventuality caused by this lockdown and it is really down to each individual to behave responsibly while keeping both the spirit and the letter of the regulations in mind.

I have a similar issue to your with your daughter. My daughter's tenancy on her flat ends at the end of this month. She moved back with us last week and took as much of her stuff as she could back with her. However it is now unlikely she can go back to the flat to clean it as she had intended. She wrote to the agents explaining this and they have said Ok but we will take money from your deposit if the flat is not cleaned. Thanks a lot!

John

Moderator Message:
This thread now closed as not really a DAK answer available
Apart from no, no single department exists

Return to “Does anyone know?”