Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

sharing kindle books

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

sharing kindle books

Postby didds » March 27th, 2020, 4:24 pm

DAK if its possible for person A who has bout a book for their kindle can then "lend" or "give" the book to person B for their kindle? In the same way they coud do with a physical book?

Obviously as a business model/concpet it woud be a bad idea for amazon for obvious reasons, but in these tiems where exchangig paper books could be less than a good idea for obvious reasons, "lending"£ digital books may be a help for some.

(Im not suggesting Amazon shoud change watever they have in place - just wherther its ever possible and how to do it etc)

didds

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: sharing kindle books

Postby Redmires » March 27th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Sorry, I can't answer that particular question but I would add that most libraries in the UK have a great selection of ebooks, audio books and e-magazines available as downloads. It saves me a fortune every year. It might help someone to while away the confinement. My authority use RBdigital and this gives a taste of what's available (this is a US site but the library system is UK biased)

https://www.recordedbooks.com/rbdigital-marketing

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 27th, 2020, 4:42 pm

didds wrote:DAK if its possible for person A who has bout a book for their kindle can then "lend" or "give" the book to person B for their kindle? In the same way they coud do with a physical book?

Obviously as a business model/concpet it woud be a bad idea for amazon for obvious reasons, but in these tiems where exchangig paper books could be less than a good idea for obvious reasons, "lending"£ digital books may be a help for some.

(Im not suggesting Amazon shoud change watever they have in place - just wherther its ever possible and how to do it etc)

didds

Lend, yes - with restrictions:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... AHSH6LX6FA

RC

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » March 27th, 2020, 5:06 pm

didds wrote:DAK if its possible for person A who has bout a book for their kindle can then "lend" or "give" the book to person B for their kindle?

Yes. If the book is bought from Amazon you can share it with another person in your 'household'. There can be 2 adults in your 'household'. They can share all their content between them. You can change members. Members who leave a household can't return for 180 days. You can also add up to four children but they can't shop on Amazon.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 27th, 2020, 5:23 pm

My wife and I each have Amazon accounts and we share our kindle library, so yes it can be done.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 27th, 2020, 7:51 pm

As others have said, Amazon do provide the ability to share with other members of your household.

I actually think that IF you trust Amazon then they have now done enough. If however you are concerned about your ownership of the book that you buy then can I point out that there are publishers who make the books available without DRM (the bit that stops you keeping or shairing the book).

I.E Baen books don't add DRM, and indeed if you buy such DRM free books through Amazon you can still download the book (Manage content on the menu system) and copy it to a different Kindle via USB (or keep a backup).

If you use a different reading device (Kobo, Nook, Sony) then you may have issues.

The Freeware software Calibre will convert between formats if they are DRM free and manage different devices (it's great for managing e-books by author etc).

Finally, if you are UK based then you are BUYING the book. Amazon can't claim that their buy with one click is a rental scheme (unlike Prime or Unlimited). As such I believe that provided you are NOT distributing the book, and could comply with the rules of Amazons household you are not breaking the law to remove the DRM. Having done so you can share it with members of your household who choose to use a different e-book reader. Do a search for Apprentice Alf.

I confess that before I became aware of Amazon household (possibly before they provided it) I decided to download the e-books, strip the DRM and make them available to my household via a WiFi bookshelf.

PLEASE behave in a moral fashion. The author, publisher and shop deserve and need to be paid so don't over share (pirate) books.

Return to “Does anyone know?”