Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pronunciation - Latin

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Pronunciation - Latin

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 11th, 2020, 2:45 pm

de facto
de minimis
de jure

etc
How is 'de' pronounced - "Dee" or "Duh"? Or 'other'...
Also ...jure - "Jaw" "Jury", "Jawray"?

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Pronunciation - Latin

Postby Alaric » June 11th, 2020, 2:49 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:How is 'de' pronounced - "Dee" or "Duh"? Or 'other'...
Also ...jure - "Jaw" "Jury", "Jawray"?

I would say "day" and "Jury"", but that may well not be how the Romans would have said it. Catholic Church Latin is another guide, but that's believed to have wandered well away from the original.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » June 11th, 2020, 2:53 pm

No idea if I'm right but I've always pronounced it "day jew-ray" and "day fac-to"

On the other hand, how Latin was pronounced in ancient Rome may be unknown. At school, we were taught to pronounce "v" as "w". Previous generations had I think been taught to pronounce "v" as "v".

No doubt Mary Beard knows if anyone does.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm

I have a distant recollection of my Latin master telling me that the Romans didn't have a long "e" sound, so that it would have been a short "de" (as in death), rather than a "day". But I don't believe anybody knows for sure. The best clues might come from rhyming poetry (which they also didn't do much of) or from wordplay and puns.

"jure" wouldn't have had a j at all, because the Romans didn't use it at all. It would have started with an i, as in "yooo-re" (presumably with the short "e" at the end.

Edit, sorry Buedonkey, I just saw your post There's more. Did the Romans pronounce a v as we would, or as a w? I doubt that anybody knows, but Mary Beard uses the w, and I'd trust her to have read more everyday Latin than most modern scholars.

BJ
Last edited by bungeejumper on June 11th, 2020, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 11th, 2020, 2:56 pm

de pronounce 'di' by me anyway.

jure pronounced 'joor' with a soft 'j'

But what do I know? I am no Latin scolar.

Dod

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 11th, 2020, 2:57 pm

As discussed we don't really know how the Latinish would pronounce it but youtube has clips of people pronouncing it today.
De facto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dqmEtR8LLU
De Jure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C49aGtzCYM

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » June 11th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Ever since I discovered the "Quick Links / New Posts", my enjoyment of TLF has increased greatly! I previously bookmarked a specific folder/forum.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 11th, 2020, 3:22 pm

kempiejon wrote:As discussed we don't really know how the Latinish would pronounce it but youtube has clips of people pronouncing it today.

So, if that is correct;
It's Duh Facto
And Day Juray

!?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 11th, 2020, 3:56 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
kempiejon wrote:As discussed we don't really know how the Latinish would pronounce it but youtube has clips of people pronouncing it today.

So, if that is correct;
It's Duh Facto
And Day Juray

!?

To me De is pronounced 'Di' in both cases and Jure is clearly Juray with a soft 'J'

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 11th, 2020, 3:58 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:

So, if that is correct;
It's Duh Facto
And Day Juray

!?

American reader, by the sound of it. And what would they know? (I've checked out pronunciations for some other Mediterranean words, and they were way off.)

In fairness, the only pronunciations that would be familiar to an American speaker would be from European immigrants, whose language might have undergone several generations' worth of evolution from the way their ancestors might have spoken it. And Mexican Spanish differs from Castilian Spanish in all kinds of ways.

But, as noted, there are three distinct ways and contexts in which Latin is spoken - by schoolteachers, by priests, and by lawyers. All of whom have spent the last 1,600 years mangling what the Romans left behind for us. And all in their own inimitable ways.

BJ

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » June 11th, 2020, 4:43 pm

And then of course there's Classical Latin which we are talking about, as opposed to Vulgar (Common) Latin.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 11th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Well, it's going to be duh facto and duh juray in my case.
Clearly nobody can tell me I've got them 'wrong' as there are so many 'right' ways to pronounce them .. :-)

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 11th, 2020, 7:57 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Well, it's going to be duh facto and duh juray in my case.
Clearly nobody can tell me I've got them 'wrong' as there are so many 'right' ways to pronounce them .. :-)

Since Italian comes from Latin I think you'll not be far off pronouncing it the Italian way. True for many languages actually as Italian transliteration is the most common. Might sound a bit foreign to the average British ear though.

GS

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 12th, 2020, 3:15 pm

There's no One Right Way.

Just consider modern English. Even within one country we have many pronunciations: think RP vs Cockney vs Geordie vs Brummie vs [continued on page 94]. That's just one small part of what was the Roman Empire[1], and has been much-homogenised even within our own lifetimes by the effect of radio and telly.

And that's before the effect of time. From Caesar to mediæval church latin (which is kind-of a root for modern usages such as the OP's examples) is about as long as from Beowulf's english to our times.

Modern Latin - which kind-of encompasses at least a millennium of evolution since it was a language of regular plebs - is Latin As A Foreign Language. Best analogy would be English for Foreigners.

[1] Noting that my example avoided drawing on anything north of the wall.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 12th, 2020, 3:25 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Well, it's going to be duh facto and duh juray in my case.

Since Italian comes from Latin I think you'll not be far off pronouncing it the Italian way. True for many languages actually as Italian transliteration is the most common. Might sound a bit foreign to the average British ear though.

GS

Italian as we know it today is a pretty recent evolution. It only really standardised (on a core of something akin to what had been Florentine) with the Risorgimento in the mid-19th century, and still has a lot of regional variation.

Having said that, yes, it is the modern bird to ancient Rome's dinosaur.

If you take modern Italian as your guide, v is never w. Unless perhaps spoken by Michael Palin in Life of Brian ;)

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » June 22nd, 2020, 11:34 am

GoSeigen wrote:

GS

As part of my Latin degree, I got a departmental grant to go to Italy to look at the ruins. There I met an Italian friend of a friend who was a Latin teacher in a secondary school. Couldn't understand a bloody word of the Latin he insisted on quoting to me.

torata

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » June 22nd, 2020, 12:22 pm

I asked a friends son who has recently completed his classics degree at Oxford and he offers the following.

The 'de' is always pronounced 'day' as opposed to a Frenchy 'de'.

Strictly 'ii' at the end of the word should be pronounced 'ee-ee'.

It's the case of the Latin word which controls this ie genitive or ablative

So 'day facto'
'day minimees'
'day yuray'

Latin 'Genii' would be pronounced 'gen-ee-ee'

Return to “Does anyone know?”