Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Flexibility needed to ride a Horse?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
feder1
Lemon Slice

Flexibility needed to ride a Horse?

Postby feder1 » June 17th, 2020, 4:06 pm

As a tall gent with limited flexibility (owing to too much lifetime sitting), I know that I would need much more leg flexibilty in order to be able to sit on a horse. It might be a new hobby to try sometime!

I do recall suffering sheer abject “discomfort” (as Ant Middleton would call it) when riding a camel a couple of decades ago.

DAK therefore what knee spacing I should aim to achieve before I consider going for riding lessons please?

Any other flexibility tips?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Flexibility needed to ride a Horse?

Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2020, 12:59 pm

I guess that trying any new thing that requires more flexibility than you are used to will create some aches and pains...and possibly worse.

I am not an expert in horse riding but I guess there would be a certain amount of crossover with riding a bike, therefore a bit of gentle bike riding combined possibly with specific exercises to open up your hips would be useful.

John

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 18th, 2020, 1:37 pm

From memory of people I've known in the past and similar stories, riding on horses is a great way to break an arm or a leg. Even if the horse is going slowly - if you fall off, it's a long way down.

I've ridden these beasts (trotted, galloped etc.) when I was younger, and I'd say that if you are over 45 years of age, then now is probably a bad time to start.

Matt

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » June 18th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Huge respect for the Queen then who is still riding at 94.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 18th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Redmires wrote:Huge respect for the Queen then who is still riding at 94.

Sure, and she started riding at the age of 6!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II%27s_horses

I imagine she has plenty of safe land (free from cars, or other stress sources) to exercise them.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but if you even need to ask people whether you're going to be ok to ride a horse, after a sedentary life style, then I'm guessing it might not be for you.

EDIT:
https://apnews.com/cf58eee09036d3885bc872e5662ff027

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » June 18th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Thanks for sensible replies.

I now apreciate the point about risk and will promptly forget about horse riding and also steer clear of motorbikes, camels and mechanical bulls at rodeos.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » June 18th, 2020, 6:08 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:

I imagine she has plenty of safe land (free from cars, or other stress sources) to exercise them.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but if you even need to ask people whether you're going to be ok to ride a horse, after a sedentary life style, then I'm guessing it might not be for you.

EDIT:

I wasn't suggesting that if she could do it, then anyone can and I wasn't being flippant. At two thirds her age I know how the aches and pains catch up with me when I'm on my cycle or motorbike. The posting was sincere.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 19th, 2020, 5:55 am

Redmires wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:

EDIT:

I wasn't suggesting that if she could do it, then anyone can and I wasn't being flippant. At two thirds her age I know how the aches and pains catch up with me when I'm on my cycle or motorbike. The posting was sincere.

Don't worry, I knew you were being sincere. Our Queen is a pretty remarkable lady in lots of ways.

I just didn't want the OP to be under any illusions that's all. I remember a friend's mother taking up horse riding about 30 years ago (she must have been in her 40s) and after a few years I remember her taking an unpleasant fall and breaking an arm.

I was in my 20s the last times I rode either motorbikes (most days) or horses (rarely), and I remember that motorbikes were a lot easier to handle!

Matt

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » June 19th, 2020, 11:13 am

If you want a different form of exercise, I recommend joining a kayak club on a quiet river (not white water!) or lake. It's a whole body exercise when done properly, not just upper body. Age is no barrier.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 19th, 2020, 11:20 am

bluedonkey wrote:If you want a different form of exercise, I recommend joining a kayak club on a quiet river (not white water!) or lake. It's a whole body exercise when done properly, not just upper body. Age is no barrier.

Age may be no barrier, but don't even think about it if you ever suffer back pain! It holds you to a posture with the legs straight and horizontal, and the torso vertical: lots of strain on the back. Unless perhaps you had in mind something more like a Canadian expedition kayak, more than halfway to a regular rowing boat?

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » June 19th, 2020, 11:31 am

I used to be a horse rider in my twenties and returned to it in my late fifties, with like you back issues from a sedentary lifestyle and various unwise interests. I found the biggest problem was with my hips, sitting upright as you have to on a horse demands quite a bit of hip flexibility and a rising trot will exercise muscles you have probably forgotten you had. I would say that although it will be painful at the beginning and you will ache for a while after, it doesn't take a lot of time for the body to adjust and after a few lessons etc it will be fine. Interestingly my back issues were not a problem. If you can do some excercises to improve your hip flexibility then I am sure that would help. As for height I don't think it much matters, I am 6 ft but short or tall the issues are basically the same.
I would say you will only know if you give a try and it is a wonderful pastime, the relationship with a horse is truly great thing.
MM

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » June 19th, 2020, 11:40 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bluedonkey wrote:If you want a different form of exercise, I recommend joining a kayak club on a quiet river (not white water!) or lake. It's a whole body exercise when done properly, not just upper body. Age is no barrier.

Age may be no barrier, but don't even think about it if you ever suffer back pain! It holds you to a posture with the legs straight and horizontal, and the torso vertical: lots of strain on the back. Unless perhaps you had in mind something more like a Canadian expedition kayak, more than halfway to a regular rowing boat?

Well, the torso is meant to move rather than be kept motionless, ditto the legs which should be slightly bent and flex with each stroke. I am referring to kayaks using a paddle with blades at both ends, rather than Canadian type open canoes.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 19th, 2020, 12:43 pm

I must admit that over the past 5 years or so, I've gradually returned to "the right way", at least in my arrogant opinion, to running. That is middle distances from about 4 to 12 miles. I've had lots of ups and downs in the journey.

What I'm realising now, especially after watching many excellent youtube videos, is the importance of hip strength and mobility. I bet that like an earlier poster mentioned, this will be true for horse-riding. For running, the hips are literally the centre of everything.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 21st, 2020, 2:18 pm

Before we were confined to barracks I met a friend at Alyn Waters country park to walk our dogs. We we strolling along when we were overtaken by a white haired gentleman riding an electric scooter. Maybe that's the way to go, I know I'm very tempted especially when my arthritic knee is playing up.

R6

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » June 21st, 2020, 3:46 pm

Except that they aren't actually legal.......at the moment!

MM

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 21st, 2020, 6:42 pm

MaraMan wrote:Except that they aren't actually legal.......at the moment!

Horses or electric scooters? Neither are ‘illegal’.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » June 22nd, 2020, 9:32 am

I believe, and happy to be corrected, that electric scooters are not legal for use in the UK, other than on private land.

MM

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 22nd, 2020, 10:38 am

An important aspect to consider is your weight vs the weight of the horse.

There are lots of riding schools particularly in holiday areas which are really bad at getting that right, just because they don't want to turn customers away. A horse which is too big or too small for your body weight is just asking for trouble.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 22nd, 2020, 11:27 am

MaraMan wrote:I believe, and happy to be corrected, that electric scooters are not legal for use in the UK, other than on private land.

The OP was talking about taking riding lessons on what I assume is private land. I'm unsure how the topic moved on to electric scooters but a reference was made to http://old.wrexham.gov.uk/english/leisure_tourism/AlynWatersCountryPark.htm which does have cycleways
and something described as Pedal Power, which are probably power assisted cycles. I don't know whether or not electric scooters are allowed there or not but it may not be private land.

My main point was that electric scooters are not illegal (which is what you initially suggested). Yes, they are not supposed to be ridden on roads and pavements etc.

Even that may be changing With people told to avoid public transport, the government's hoping to trial e-scooter rental schemes - possibly by the end of June. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » June 22nd, 2020, 2:30 pm

My apologies for my semantic inexactitude :lol:

MM

Return to “Does anyone know?”