Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

DIY audio tour

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Fluke
Lemon Slice

DIY audio tour

Postby Fluke » June 22nd, 2020, 10:00 am

Does anyone know how to go about creating an audio tour for people to download to their phones and listen to in stages as they're walking round? This is not for professional purposes or for selling but I need it to be reasonably good quality. Google throws up a lot of things involving city tours which look a bit complicated, I don't really know where to start.

Thanks.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: DIY audio tour

Postby didds » June 22nd, 2020, 10:27 am

not so much download, but what about a series of youtube or soudcloud clips they justs elect at appropriate moments?

Or indeed just a bunch of mp3s in a dropbox that theyc an download from and again listen to at appropriate moments?

didds

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 23rd, 2020, 6:33 am

Sounds like you're looking to record audio in to files and relate those audio files to locations

Getting the audio is easy enough to do on a computer if you have a microphone
- try and keep it as "dry" as possible (I've known people record under blankets to cut down on background noise and echo/reverb)
- look in to mic technique to avoid plosives and sibilance (i.e. booms and hisses)
just about everything else can be handled easily in free software like Audacity (https://www.audacityteam.org/)

As Didds points out you could simply provide the files "somewhere"; dropbox, soundcloud, google drive along with instructions
or there are apps/platforms to help with geolocating them automagically e.g. https://echoes.xyz/echoes-creative-apps

have fun
- sd

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » June 23rd, 2020, 3:36 pm

Thanks for your responses, I think we've found a fairly simple way of making a video using standard phone/camera technology, uploading it to a YouTube channel and using QR codes at the appropriate locations. Not there yet but getting closer, we'll be recording in the outdoors so we'll do a few dry runs and see what the sound quality is like.

Many thanks.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 24th, 2020, 2:23 am

Fluke wrote:Thanks for your responses, I think we've found a fairly simple way of making a video using standard phone/camera technology, uploading it to a YouTube channel and using QR codes at the appropriate locations. Not there yet but getting closer, we'll be recording in the outdoors so we'll do a few dry runs and see what the sound quality is like.

Many thanks.

That sounds like a pretty good solution: modern phones do a pretty good job of filtering out the background noise/wind etc (given making calls is still something they're used for)
- I have also seen field recording mics that you can use with a smart phone if that's more what you're looking for (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/RODE-VIDEOMICM ... B018KIJGU8)

QR codes are something I always forget about; but they're really handy for sharing URLs

Good luck it sounds like an interesting idea for a project and one I might pinch in the future :-)
- sd

Return to “Does anyone know?”