Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Opodo booking site messing about?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Opodo booking site messing about?

Postby stevensfo » June 30th, 2020, 8:01 am

A few weeks ago, I booked a flight from Milan to Malta via Opodo leaving in two weeks time. Now I wish I'd read the reviews first, but assumed they'd be like Booking.com. Apparently they do the same trick all the time.

I got a strange email yesterday telling me that my flight had been cancelled due to Covid 19 and I should go to Manage Bookings.

Not only do I not believe them, since covid19 restrictions are being lifted between Italy and Malta and other airlines seem to be fine, but according to the 'Manage Bookings', I have two options: accept a voucher for the flight or reschedule the flight. Both are unsatisfactory and in fact I have just got an alternative flight booked.

Am I right in assuming that they are obliged to refund me? My gut feeling is to do nothing. According to my credit card site, nothing has been paid yet, so surely they can't try and get payment if the flight has been cancelled.

Am I missing something?

Steve

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Opodo booking site messing about?

Postby chas49 » June 30th, 2020, 10:30 am

Opodo don't cancel flights - the airlines do. So - what does the airline say about the flight? Can you check with them that your ticket is still valid (or has now beenn cancelled if you've rebooked).

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 30th, 2020, 5:33 pm

chas49 wrote:Opodo don't cancel flights - the airlines do. So - what does the airline say about the flight? Can you check with them that your ticket is still valid (or has now beenn cancelled if you've rebooked).

Thanks, I will try to check, though the irony is that I have now booked a better and much cheaper flight with Air Malta. They had only just started taking bookings again.

The flight with Opodo was with Lufthansa and I just assume that, if the flight is cancelled, my credit card won't be debited at all. But some of the reviews I saw were quite terrifying. Also, my contract is surely with Opodo, so why should I go to the airline? It reminds me of the 1980s before people started to know about their rights and when shops tried to tell people to contact the manufacturer, and not them.

Steve

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » June 30th, 2020, 5:42 pm

I believe Opodo's position is that they act as an agent in the process and you are contracting with the airline. In your case it might be wise to email them (Opodo) specifically stating that as they have informed you that the flight is cancelled, you do not require an alternative and they are not authorised to charge anything to your card.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 1st, 2020, 11:41 am

stevensfo wrote: Also, my contract is surely with Opodo, so why should I go to the airline? It reminds me of the 1980s before people started to know about their rights and when shops tried to tell people to contact the manufacturer, and not them.

I'm surprised you think like that.

Why not look at your contract and find out?

I've never used the company so don't know, but a google of "Opodo contract" and from the first link that comes up

2. Your Contract
2.1 A "booking" means any order for products or services you make on our Website which is confirmed by us. When you make a booking via this Website, the contract will be between the Travel Supplier(s) and you. Opodo is therefore not a party to the contractual relationship in relation to the products and services you order on our Website, unless explicitly provided otherwise herein. Any queries or concerns relating to the product should be addressed to the Travel Supplier.

Seems like they are an agent, as might be surmised from the generic "Travel Agent" we know such companies by. But check your contract, something we can't do, and find and read the terms and conditions that apply to you, and you will find out your answer.

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » July 1st, 2020, 7:35 pm

People can write anything they want into a contract - that does not make it legally valid.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 2nd, 2020, 12:29 pm

chas49 wrote:I believe Opodo's position is that they act as an agent in the process and you are contracting with the airline. In your case it might be wise to email them (Opodo) specifically stating that as they have informed you that the flight is cancelled, you do not require an alternative and they are not authorised to charge anything to your card.

Actually, that's the first thing I did, and your words are almost identical to those that I used, albeit to a 'Noreply' address. Dontcha just love those? But there was a second email address as well.

Fortunately the airline they chose for me is Lufthansa, so I expect there will be no problem. Since there is no sign of my card being debited and it was almost 3 weeks before the flight, I just assume that all is okay.

But....lesson learned!

Steve

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 2nd, 2020, 12:40 pm

dealtn wrote:
stevensfo wrote: Also, my contract is surely with Opodo, so why should I go to the airline? It reminds me of the 1980s before people started to know about their rights and when shops tried to tell people to contact the manufacturer, and not them.

I've never used the company so don't know, but a google of "Opodo contract" and from the first link that comes up

2. Your Contract
2.1 A "booking" means any order for products or services you make on our Website which is confirmed by us. When you make a booking via this Website, the contract will be between the Travel Supplier(s) and you. Opodo is therefore not a party to the contractual relationship in relation to the products and services you order on our Website, unless explicitly provided otherwise herein. Any queries or concerns relating to the product should be addressed to the Travel Supplier.

Seems like they are an agent, as might be surmised from the generic "Travel Agent" we know such companies by. But check your contract, something we can't do, and find and read the terms and conditions that apply to you, and you will find out your answer.

To be honest, I'm very surprised that you're surprised. People use these online booking companies to save time. They don't as a rule sit down and studiously go through the contract with a fine tooth comb first. I understand the point about not being 'a party to the contractual relationship' but surely, if they debit someone's card, then they are entering into some form of contract. What annoys me is the choice of options they give when a flight is cancelled none of which mentions reimbursement. From what I hear elsewhere, it appears that they do whatever they can to avoid reimbursing clients, but if a client does not choose one of the options, then the default is reimbursement. So I'll just sit tight and see.

Steve

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 2nd, 2020, 12:47 pm

stevensfo wrote:
dealtn wrote:

2. Your Contract

To be honest, I'm very surprised that you're surprised. People use these online booking companies to save time. They don't as a rule sit down and studiously go through the contract with a fine tooth comb first. I understand the point about not being 'a party to the contractual relationship' but surely, if they debit someone's card, then they are entering into some form of contract. What annoys me is the choice of options they give when a flight is cancelled none of which mentions reimbursement. From what I hear elsewhere, it appears that they do whatever they can to avoid reimbursing clients, but if a client does not choose one of the options, then the default is reimbursement. So I'll just sit tight and see.

Steve

You don't need to go through a contract with a fine tooth comb to understand its an agency business. The clue is in the name "Travel Agent". Do you think most people buying a house through an estate agent think the house they choose to buy is owned by the estate agent? I'd be surprised if most people did.

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » July 2nd, 2020, 5:53 pm

dealtn wrote:You don't need to go through a contract with a fine tooth comb to understand its an agency business. The clue is in the name "Travel Agent". Do you think most people buying a house through an estate agent think the house they choose to buy is owned by the estate agent? I'd be surprised if most people did.

However, when you buy a house you do not pay the estate agent for the house.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 2nd, 2020, 7:30 pm

stockton wrote:
dealtn wrote:You don't need to go through a contract with a fine tooth comb to understand its an agency business. The clue is in the name "Travel Agent". Do you think most people buying a house through an estate agent think the house they choose to buy is owned by the estate agent? I'd be surprised if most people did.

No, that's true. You pay a different agent, your solicitor.

All I am saying is that it is relatively easy to look at your contract to establish exactly what you have done and with who. Whether you have dealt with a company, or employed an agent to do so.

The OP posts saying "...assuming ...refund me", "gut feeling..." "...assumed they'd be like..." etc.

I suspect the time taken to log on here and type the query onto the Board, and finish with "Am I missing something?" wasn't much difference time wise than logging on to the site and reading the bare bones of the contract. It mightn't have answered all his queries but it is likely it would have highlighted something he might have missed.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 2nd, 2020, 7:53 pm

dealtn wrote:
stockton wrote:

No, that's true. You pay a different agent, your solicitor.

All I am saying is that it is relatively easy to look at your contract to establish exactly what you have done and with who. Whether you have dealt with a company, or employed an agent to do so.

The OP posts saying "...assuming ...refund me", "gut feeling..." "...assumed they'd be like..." etc.

I suspect the time taken to log on here and type the query onto the Board, and finish with "Am I missing something?" wasn't much difference time wise than logging on to the site and reading the bare bones of the contract. It mightn't have answered all his queries but it is likely it would have highlighted something he might have missed.

Oh for God's sake! Gimme a break! I 'logged on here' because it's a friendly place that I've known since 1999 when it was TMF and full of sympathetic people who can advise people like me who have experienced something new to them. I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition. (cue for entrance?)

No problem. I have to talk to somebody who hasn't too much caffeine in their bloodstream, so will sign off now. But next time I find an Estate Agent (or solicitor if it makes you happy) who keeps my money after the sale has fallen through and offers me a voucher or alternative property in lieu of my money back, I know who to contact. Hmm? 8-)

Best regards,

Steve

Return to “Does anyone know?”