Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Eurostar

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Eurostar

Postby redsturgeon » July 8th, 2020, 10:43 am

Its a longshot and I have tried talking directly to Eurostar but that is not easy.

I have vouchers from a cancelled eurostar trip in March. I wish to use these vouchers now but they only have 8 digit codes while the booking website requires 9 digits. Has anyone else had this problem?

John

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Eurostar

Postby PinkDalek » July 8th, 2020, 11:02 am

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 8th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Thanks PD but no.

All I get is standard answers.

Now I have found some nine digit numbers but the website wont accept them due to "technical issues.Please try later"

Arrrrrgh

John

Toandfro

Postby Toandfro » July 12th, 2020, 10:06 am

Have you tried entering your 8-digit number with an extra leading zero?

My son had this exact problem (in a different situation). He was just getting 'computer sez no' when entering the 8 digits shown on an official document he'd received, with the error message that the number was supposed to be 9 digits. Aware that some computers (ie their programmers' lack of attention to detail) don't print a leading zero, I suggested entering a '0' at the front. And voilà, it worked.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 13th, 2020, 9:42 am

All fixed now, codes accepted, all booked.

They had sent the wrong codes and then sent the correct codes later which ended up in the junk folder!

Off to Amsterdam next Monday with my daughter.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 13th, 2020, 12:51 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Off to Amsterdam next Monday with my daughter.

John

Is travel to Amsterdam no longer encumbered by lockdown restrictions in either country?

For future reference, I can strongly recommend the overnight ferry Harwich-Hook of Holland for travel to Amsterdam. Book a price inclusive of rail travel in both countries from the dutchflyer site.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 13th, 2020, 1:25 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

John

Is travel to Amsterdam no longer encumbered by lockdown restrictions in either country?

For future reference, I can strongly recommend the overnight ferry Harwich-Hook of Holland for travel to Amsterdam. Book a price inclusive of rail travel in both countries from the dutchflyer site.

Yes AFAIK

Thanks for the ferry rec but my daughter gets very sea sick

John

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » July 13th, 2020, 3:15 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

John

Yes AFAIK

Thanks for the ferry rec but my daughter gets very sea sick

John

And face masks/coverings are required to be worn on public transport (incl. ferries) so an overnight ferry would be even less attractive (although presumably you don't have to wear the mask in the cabin if you have one to yourself/household/support bubble).

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 13th, 2020, 4:23 pm

chas49 wrote:And face masks/coverings are required to be worn on public transport (incl. ferries) so an overnight ferry would be even less attractive (although presumably you don't have to wear the mask in the cabin if you have one to yourself/household/support bubble).

Whose law imposes that on international waters?

Compare and contrast the confined space of the train (a complete no-go area for me so long as face-coverings are required) with the privacy of your cabin, the open deck, and the wider spaces in the restaurants, lounges and even corridors of a big ferry.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 13th, 2020, 4:26 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Compare and contrast the confined space of the train (a complete no-go area for me so long as face-coverings are required)

Interesting, many would consider it a no-go area if face coverings weren't required.

Scott.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » July 13th, 2020, 4:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
chas49 wrote:And face masks/coverings are required to be worn on public transport (incl. ferries) so an overnight ferry would be even less attractive (although presumably you don't have to wear the mask in the cabin if you have one to yourself/household/support bubble).

Compare and contrast the confined space of the train (a complete no-go area for me so long as face-coverings are required) with the privacy of your cabin, the open deck, and the wider spaces in the restaurants, lounges and even corridors of a big ferry.

Any given ship may be in international waters, but the ship itself and anyone who is either crew or a passenger (or a stowaway) is subject to the law of the land in which it is flagged (Panama, UK, whatever), plus the skipper being required to act in accordance with various international regs (ColRegs, IMPARPOL, SOLAS, etc) which are enforced by way of variously the flag state or the insurers.

Exceptions are those ships of no nation, ordinarily referred to as pirates, (or Randian types, of whom there are remarkably few).

regards, dspp

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 13th, 2020, 5:32 pm

dspp wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Any given ship may be in international waters, but the ship itself and anyone who is either crew or a passenger (or a stowaway) is subject to the law of the land in which it is flagged (Panama, UK, whatever), plus the skipper being required to act in accordance with various international regs (ColRegs, IMPARPOL, SOLAS, etc) which are enforced by way of variously the flag state or the insurers.

Exceptions are those ships of no nation, ordinarily referred to as pirates, (or Randian types, of whom there are remarkably few).

regards, dspp

Cross Channel ferries were 1m social distancing for instance all the time the UK was at 2m as they operated as French territory.

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » July 14th, 2020, 8:40 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

It applies in English territorial waters, so up to 12 miles offshore. I don't think it applies to ships in international waters, even if sailing under a British flag (since the law applies specifically to England, and British ships are under the UK but not England - I think). It applies to all ships in English waters that are going to dock or have docked in England, even if under a foreign flag - those only passing through and not docking in England are excluded.

And no, it doesn't apply inside a private cabin, on ships or on sleeper trains.

Return to “Does anyone know?”