Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Fridge Problem

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Fridge Problem

Postby bjmarren » July 30th, 2020, 9:31 am

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice regarding a fridge problem. I was checking a fridge we have in a small flat that we had been renting out, after the lease had expired. I was checking it, which had been de-frosted, and noticed that on the inside back wall of the fridge there were 3 very small slits on the wall. It looks like that someone had maybe used a knife or something sharp to help dislodge ice which had built up in the fridge. In doing so it looks as if the sharp instruments has opened 3 small slits on the wall. My question is, is the fridge unusable now, or is there a way to mend the 3 small slits, or can it be used as it is. The fridge won't be used in the near future and has been turned off after it was de-frosted.

Many thanks for any advice.

Brendan

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fridge Problem

Postby richlist » July 30th, 2020, 9:57 am

Does it operate when switched on ?
If yes, then it's functional.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 30th, 2020, 10:09 am

I agree with Mr List above. The slits you mention don't matter a jot, any more than mild damage to the inside of a non-refrigerated food cupboard would matter.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 30th, 2020, 10:15 am

I agree with Mr 4 above....what I would add is :

If the cuts go right thru the plastic wall of the fridge then on the other side of the wall is likely to be just insulation.
I'm surprised a landlord would be concerned about such a trivial matter.

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » July 30th, 2020, 10:32 am

Hi richlist and Mike4,

Thank you for replying to my post. Yes, it operates when I switch it, so I guess from your replies that I'm worrying about nothing, which is a relief. As I said the slits are very small put have punctured the wall, but as Mr List said, on the other side of the wall is probably insulation. However, if there is anything else you think of that I should check, I'd be very grateful.

Brendan

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 30th, 2020, 10:53 am

bjmarren wrote:Hi richlist and Mike4,

Thank you for replying to my post. Yes, it operates when I switch it, so I guess from your replies that I'm worrying about nothing, which is a relief. As I said the slits are very small put have punctured the wall, but as Mr List said, on the other side of the wall is probably insulation. However, if there is anything else you think of that I should check, I'd be very grateful.

Brendan

You're welcome.

I'd suggest the only possible risk is that whatever caused the slits also penetrated one of the pipes carrying refrigerant. If this happened all the refrigerant will have escaped and although the fridge sounds for all the world as though it is working fine, it won't get cold. Give it a try and if it cools down, I'd just ignore the slits. Note them on the inventory report as say, "trivial damage" for the benefit of next tenant though who might worry he will get the blame!

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » July 30th, 2020, 11:13 am

Hi Mike4,

Thanks for that very good piece of advice. I'll do just that, including noting it on the inventory report.

Brendan

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » July 30th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Does the TA say who is liable for the repair of white goods?

The fridge may 'work', but if I was a tenant I would be looking to get it repaired if the landlord had responsibility.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 30th, 2020, 1:52 pm

bjmarren wrote:As I said the slits are very small put have punctured the wall

I'd wonder about the possibility of water droplets getting through the slits and, slowly over time, possibly causing some damage to whatever they end up running onto on the other side. Difficult to say without being in front of them, but I think I'd be tempted to try and seal them up somehow. A few drops of glue, a smidgen of putty, or something.....

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 30th, 2020, 3:12 pm

baldchap wrote:Does the TA say who is liable for the repair of white goods?

The fridge may 'work', but if I was a tenant I would be looking to get it repaired if the landlord had responsibility.

If the landlord supplies a fridge it has to work = it does work.
If there is damage it should be identified on the inventory = it is identified on the inventory.

The landlord has no responsibility to repair (or replace) the fridge because it works & functions as intended.
If you want a better fridge you would need to purchase your own.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 30th, 2020, 3:47 pm

baldchap wrote:Does the TA say who is liable for the repair of white goods?

This just goes to illustrate how tenants tend to match the properties. Most tenants probably wouldn't notice, or care if the noticed. If the rest of the property is A1 IMMACULATE (with rent level commensurate) then it would be reasonable to expect a new fridge, but in yer run-of-the-mill two bed flat 20 years old, it would not be reasonable in my view. And any tenant of mine requiring a new fridge in an 'ordinary' house for this reason might not get to stay beyond the end of their fixed term, or at least get an upwards rent review. But it depends how they pitched it given the slits were present and declared when they took the tenancy.

If it really bothers them I would probably either suggest they buy their own fridge or buy one for them, depending on whether the rent they were paying was top money for the property or under market rate.

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Postby baldchap » July 30th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Mike4 wrote:This just goes to illustrate how tenants tend to match the properties. Most tenants probably wouldn't notice, or care if the noticed. If the rest of the property is A1 IMMACULATE (with rent level commensurate) then it would be reasonable to expect a new fridge, but in yer run-of-the-mill two bed flat 20 years old, it would not be reasonable in my view. And any tenant of mine requiring a new fridge in an 'ordinary' house for this reason might not get to stay beyond the end of their fixed term, or at least get an upwards rent review. But it depends how they pitched it given the slits were present and declared when they took the tenancy.

If it really bothers them I would probably either suggest they buy their own fridge or buy one for them, depending on whether the rent they were paying was top money for the property or under market rate.

It doesn't matter what standard of property somebody is renting. the TA will state clearly who is responsible for the repair of white goods.
The landlord has to ensure all electrical appliances, if provided, are in good condition and safe to use.
They don't have put up, shut up, and make do because you think the rent is good value.

I am not trying to give the OP a hard time, just raising a flag.
As background. I stopped providing white goods due to the hassle, and those who brought their own tended to be in it for the longer term.
That was before I saw sense of course and just stopped being a landlord.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 30th, 2020, 9:49 pm

baldchap wrote:
Mike4 wrote:This just goes to illustrate how tenants tend to match the properties. Most tenants probably wouldn't notice, or care if the noticed. If the rest of the property is A1 IMMACULATE (with rent level commensurate) then it would be reasonable to expect a new fridge, but in yer run-of-the-mill two bed flat 20 years old, it would not be reasonable in my view. And any tenant of mine requiring a new fridge in an 'ordinary' house for this reason might not get to stay beyond the end of their fixed term, or at least get an upwards rent review. But it depends how they pitched it given the slits were present and declared when they took the tenancy.

It doesn't matter what standard of property somebody is renting. the TA will state clearly who is responsible for the repair of white goods.
The landlord has to ensure all electrical appliances, if provided, are in good condition and safe to use.
They don't have put up, shut up, and make do because you think the rent is good value.

I am not trying to give the OP a hard time, just raising a flag.
As background. I stopped providing white goods due to the hassle, and those who brought their own tended to be in it for the longer term.
That was before I saw sense of course and just stopped being a landlord.

I think we are at cross purposes. Obviously appliances supplied by the LL need to be safe to use. I hold that three small slits in the insulation inside a fridge do not make it dangerous to use. Your opinion is otherwise but that is all it is. Your and my opinions. I very much doubt an electrician carrying out a PAT on this fridge would snag is as unsafe to use.

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » August 3rd, 2020, 7:57 am

Hi all,

I never expected this thread to continue after my reply to Mike4, and only checked back this morning to see if there were any other comments. All the comments made have been relevant and I'm grateful for people for taking the time to reply. My gut feeling is that I should mend the slits, mainly because it will give me peace of mind, but I also appreciate the comments made from the landlord's point of view. Does anyone a view on the easiest and most effective way of mending the slits? Is there special glue or putty that should be used or someone could recommend?

Thanks.

Brendann

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 3rd, 2020, 9:53 am

Gorilla Tape will stick and cover it.....but it will look like someone has stuck a bit of tape to the inside of the fridge.

Personally I wouldn't bother.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » August 3rd, 2020, 11:20 am

bjmarren wrote:Hi all,

I never expected this thread to continue after my reply to Mike4, and only checked back this morning to see if there were any other comments. All the comments made have been relevant and I'm grateful for people for taking the time to reply. My gut feeling is that I should mend the slits, mainly because it will give me peace of mind, but I also appreciate the comments made from the landlord's point of view. Does anyone a view on the easiest and most effective way of mending the slits? Is there special glue or putty that should be used or someone could recommend?

Thanks.

Brendann

Isn't there a type of two part modelling putty available which could be pushed into a the slits, smoothed off then it sets hard?

I've no experience of it, and can't recall it's name but have seen videos or adverts for it in the past.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 3rd, 2020, 12:17 pm

I think a lot depends on how unsightly the slits are. I'm imagining them being nearly invisible and only noticeable on close inspection. If this is the case, any attempt at repairing them is likely to look like a bodge and do nothing other than draw more attention to them.

On the other hand if they look a bit of a mess, then I'd be inclined to cut a neat rectangle of say white acrylic to cover them, and stick it on with silicone. Any sort of 'putty' pressed into the slits is unlikely to result in any improvement in the appearance.

Maybe Brendann could post a photo then a load more and better informed advice would be forthcoming!

Edit to add: Given the slits will have no effect on the performance of the fridge, we only need consider aesthetics.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » August 3rd, 2020, 12:26 pm

I remember my father repairing a fridge once with Isopon body filler. It stank for weeks. Make sure anything you use is odour free. If the property is empty, it is helpful that you can leave the door open (which you should do anyway if the power is off).

Julian F. G. W.

bjmarren
2 Lemon pips

Postby bjmarren » August 3rd, 2020, 6:13 pm

Hi again,

Mike, your'e right, the slits are only visible on a close inspection, and then you'd have to be on your knees, so while there're unlikely to be seen, I might take the acrylic and silicone route. I've also seen the glue and putty version on the internet but I'll go with the acrylic.

Once again thank you all for replying and advice, it's been really helpful and informative.

Brendan

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 3rd, 2020, 9:30 pm

I've used the Milliput two part putty for lots of repairs. The brilliant white version was great for filling holes in uPVC window frames after blinds had been removed, which might be a similar sort of thing.

Available from Amazon I think.

Scott.

Return to “Does anyone know?”