Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Renew Driving Licences Over 70 Online How Send Photo?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Renew Driving Licences Over 70 Online How Send Photo?

Postby stewamax » August 28th, 2020, 10:29 am

But each renewal may further limit what vehicles you can drive.
Mine said in effect that if I wanted to drive a minibus any more I would need to have an eye-test, although I don't have eye problems and have never driven a minibus.

And in the distant past my original Red licence (which I still have - a treasured possession) says I was entitled to drive Road Rollers in Group 4 - whatever those were. No longer. I wonder what licence the late Fred Dibnah had.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 28th, 2020, 11:47 am

tlf67482 wrote:Not moved address and wanting to avoid the 10 yearly fee for licence renewal I have stuck with the paper based licence until now unfortunately.

The passport renewal has online photo booth support I am trying to find out about the driving licence it seems odd I can find no mention of being able to anything other than to use the passport photo if it is on file otherwise you are out of luck by the looks of it. If I knew it supported a booth code I know to get this sorted before I apply online.

It's been a while but, when faced with this, I found it WAS possible to apply online - sort of - despite no passport.

The website said you could only apply online with a current passport, nevertheless I pressed on and came to a point where I declared I had no passport photo: Website then said online application paused and a paper form would be sent to my address. Duly received short form needing attachment of suitable passport type photo. When returned the 'online' application completed and licence issued.

Normally you are anyway automatically sent a long paper form via post to apply for new over 70s licence.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 28th, 2020, 5:29 pm

stewamax wrote:But each renewal may further limit what vehicles you can drive. Mine said in effect that if I wanted to drive a minibus any more I would need to have an eye-test, although I don't have eye problems and have never driven a minibus.

And in the distant past my original Red licence (which I still have - a treasured possession) says I was entitled to drive Road Rollers in Group 4 - whatever those were. No longer. I wonder what licence the late Fred Dibnah had.

Road roller is just another term for steam roller, i.e. a heavy vehicle for compacting road surfaces.

A friend of mine from school got a job driving one in the summer holidays when he was 19 and so, yes, those old red book licenses allowed that at the time. I was quite jealous of him.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » August 28th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Corvid does not seem to have affected 3-year over-70 online renewals for those with a current passport.

Applied for mine early am on Tue, 25 Aug and its renewal arrived in the post on the 28th Aug.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » August 28th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Nowadays it is necessary to renew the driving license/photo every ten years. A couple or three years ago, my driving license needed to be renewed, and I was offered the option to use ‘automatically’ (from their system) my then current passport photo, which, by a bit of a quirk, had an 11 year old photo on it.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 9th, 2020, 9:30 am

niord wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
niord wrote:I didn't actually realise until a friend got caught out but the driving licence needs to be renewed every three years after you have reached 70 too, and they don't remind you

Just discovered that my licence expires in October this year. I am sure though that I have been reminded in the past and will see what happens this time. If you are not reminded what are you supposed to do?

Dod

The DVLA should send out a form up to 80 days before your 70th birthday but there doesn't seem to be any rule that they will send out a reminder after that. My friend certainly didn't get a reminder at 73 and having a quick browse online some say they have received one and others say that they haven't. It will be interesting to see if you get one.

Back to the original topic. Had my annual eye test and general check yesterday and all was fine. It reminded me about renewing my driving licence so I just checked online. DVLA tells us that if your licence expires at any time up to 31 December 2020 we will get an automatic (Covid) extension for 11 months. I guess we will not receive a reminder so I have just completed the application online and they say I should get a new licence within two weeks. If it works it is very simple and I added my passport number from which apparently they can access a photo for the licence.

Dod

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » October 15th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Just a quick update. Luckily the passport picture they had on file was still valid and got the new licence in the post within 2/3 days. I wish it was a bit clearer on what would happen if there wasn't a passport picture though and whether you could get it to work with online renewal.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 3rd, 2020, 1:48 pm

supremetwo wrote:Applied for mine early am on Tue, 25 Aug and its renewal arrived in the post on the 28th Aug.

Same experience here. Applied for mine online on Friday afternoon, got the licence Monday morning.

It's not clear exactly how they copied the digital photo from my old licence and my passport, but they appear to have applied a Dorian Gray filter in the process. Or maybe it's the way that the hologram has messed with my face? Either way, I look about a hundred and ten, and suddenly I'm scowling like an escapee from the Addams Family crypt. So am I obliged to tell them that their picture doesn't resemble me, now that they've cacked it up?

BJ

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » February 18th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Dealing with other half's license now but passport has expired.

Has anyone renewed successfully online using a photo from an expired passport?

Thanks

Claret33

Postby Claret33 » February 21st, 2021, 11:47 am

tlf67482 wrote:Dealing with other half's license now but passport has expired.

Has anyone renewed successfully online using a photo from an expired passport?

Thanks

Did you find a solution to this? I'm trying to help my dad with this now. Licence needs renewing but he no longer has a valid passport and needs new photo. I can take a photo of him following the requirements, but is this allowed? (if so how will it be uploaded if he can't renew online...seems silly there's not an option for submitting a photo online even if you're renewing by post for rest of it). We want to avoid going to any busy post offices etc right now if possible.

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » February 21st, 2021, 4:02 pm

Claret33 wrote:Did you find a solution to this? I'm trying to help my dad with this now. Licence needs renewing but he no longer has a valid passport and needs new photo. I can take a photo of him following the requirements, but is this allowed? (if so how will it be uploaded if he can't renew online...seems silly there's not an option for submitting a photo online even if you're renewing by post for rest of it). We want to avoid going to any busy post offices etc right now if possible.

I am going to try to do an online renewal and see what happens.

I am hoping even though the passport has expired it will still work.

I have not psyched myself up enough yet to try it. When I do I will report back.

I do not see why the passport being expired would make any difference it is not like an invasion of the body snatchers scenario!

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » February 21st, 2021, 6:48 pm

tlf67482 wrote:I do not see why the passport being expired would make any difference it is not like an invasion of the body snatchers scenario!

Well if the passport has expired the photo could be too old!

newlyretired

Return to “Does anyone know?”