Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Can a Book Silence a Gun Shot?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
feder1
Lemon Slice

Can a Book Silence a Gun Shot?

Postby feder1 » September 5th, 2020, 5:34 am

A frivolous question for the weekend.

On the “Death in Paradise” series 8/4 that we watched last night the murder was committed with a gun.

A small handgun was pressed against a 3cm thick history book held against the victim,s back and fired. The book was claimed to “silence” the shot.

The bullet incised a neat round hole through the book and out of the chest at the front.

I don,t believe that the bullet would even get through the book covers so surgically nor that any silencing effect would happen. A feather pillow might have some small effect but the gun would recoil against the book wouldn,t it?

By the way, the programme,s version of Barbara Windsor, the new recruit, is quite entertaining.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Can a Book Silence a Gun Shot?

Postby Urbandreamer » September 5th, 2020, 8:57 am

feder1 wrote:I don,t believe that the bullet would even get through the book covers so surgically nor that any silencing effect would happen.

I tend to agree.

From youtube video's I understand that suppressors (not silencers) work by allowing the gases to expand and cool within a chamber or chambers where the expansion noise is not transmitted to the outside world. A book would not provide that facility.

Most suppressors don't attempt to make a gun silent, but simply reduce the noise to a point where that is not dangerous itself.

The neat hole is another issue. A high velocity bullet might make one, but guess what. It's supersonic, so the bullet itself is not quiet.

I understand that you can get subsonic rounds, but they wouldn't over penetrate (go all the way through). Indeed they probably wouldn't go through the book. They simply have less propellant.

But of course entertainment doesn't have to let reality get in the way.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » September 5th, 2020, 12:13 pm

feder1 wrote:A frivolous question for the weekend.

On the “Death in Paradise” series 8/4 that we watched last night the murder was committed with a gun.

A small handgun was pressed against a 3cm thick history book held against the victim,s back and fired. The book was claimed to “silence” the shot.

The bullet incised a neat round hole through the book and out of the chest at the front.

I don,t believe that the bullet would even get through the book covers so surgically nor that any silencing effect would happen. A feather pillow might have some small effect but the gun would recoil against the book wouldn,t it?

By the way, the programme,s version of Barbara Windsor, the new recruit, is quite entertaining.

If the pistol (you can't use a suppressor with a revolver) was somehow already tightly inserted into a hole in the book, then the paper would help absorb some of the gas and shock, but I very much doubt it would make a big difference. The suppressors have a row of baffles through which the bullet passes and they absorb some of the shock waves and reduce the noise, but the effect is surprisingly not as much as people think.

Many years ago, I used to play around with air pistols and believe it or not, the suppressor was one of the very few things that I could buy legally here but were illegal in the USA. Usually it was quite the opposite.

Steve

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » September 5th, 2020, 12:24 pm

It would also depend on the type of pistol. Semi auto pistols release gas and noise when the slide opens to eject the empty case and reload, the reciprocating slide also makes a fair bit of noise. This is not normally noticed with the noise from an unsupressed firearm.

Revolvers leak gas from the gap between the cylinder and barrel, this makes moderators ineffective on revolvers. Single shot pistols can be very quiet if suppressed and loaded with subsonic ammunition, typically under 1000fps.

American special forces once used a modified Smith & Wesson M39 in 9mm fitted with a suppressor which had the ability to lock the slide in place, effectively making it a single shot. The slide needing to be racked manually after each shot. This fired a 158grn full metal jacket bullet at 900fps.

One of the most effective suppressed weapons must be the De Lisle carbine. A Lee Enfield rifle chambered in .45 ACP. The suppressor was the full length of the barrel.

Back on topic it would depend on the calibre of the pistol and other factors. Don't underestimate the power of the little .22lr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZQZLgkYzo4

A pistol would have a lot lower velocity

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » September 5th, 2020, 12:28 pm

I forgot to add, the S&W pistol was often used to eliminate guard dogs and was known as the Hush Puppy...

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » September 5th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 5th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Imbiber wrote:One of the most effective suppressed weapons must be the De Lisle carbine. A Lee Enfield rifle chambered in .45 ACP. The suppressor was the full length of the barrel.

Surely it's the wellrod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12AjvEsaHg

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » September 5th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:From youtube video's I understand that suppressors (not silencers) work by allowing the gases to expand and cool within a chamber or chambers where the expansion noise is not transmitted to the outside world. A book would not provide that facility.

A pillow might though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCjY1y0 ... e=youtu.be

Urbandreamer wrote:Most suppressors don't attempt to make a gun silent, but simply reduce the noise to a point where that is not dangerous itself.

As demonstrated by Mythbusters comparing silenced and non-silenced handguns - http://youtu.be/zhdXly6jT4E

My experience from many years ago was handguns were LOUD!!! - pre-Dunblane there was a shooting range local to where I lived where you could turn up, show a driving licence and rent whatever sort of handgun you wanted to and buy some bullets and targets. The astonishing thing was after being handed the guns and bullets you then had to walk back across the car park on your own and unsupervised with them to the shooting range.

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » September 5th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
Imbiber wrote:One of the most effective suppressed weapons must be the De Lisle carbine. A Lee Enfield rifle chambered in .45 ACP. The suppressor was the full length of the barrel.

Surely it's the wellrod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12AjvEsaHg

Quite possibly, I did say one of the most effective.

In the UK the term used on Firearms certificates is sound moderator. If used on a firearm it must be entered onto the certificate. If used on an air rifle it can be bought without any licensing requirement.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 20th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Imbiber wrote:It would also depend on the type of pistol. Semi auto pistols release gas and noise when the slide opens to eject the empty case and reload, the reciprocating slide also makes a fair bit of noise. This is not normally noticed with the noise from an unsupressed firearm.

Revolvers leak gas from the gap between the cylinder and barrel, this makes moderators ineffective on revolvers. Single shot pistols can be very quiet if suppressed and loaded with subsonic ammunition, typically under 1000fps.

American special forces once used a modified Smith & Wesson M39 in 9mm fitted with a suppressor which had the ability to lock the slide in place, effectively making it a single shot. The slide needing to be racked manually after each shot. This fired a 158grn full metal jacket bullet at 900fps.

One of the most effective suppressed weapons must be the De Lisle carbine. A Lee Enfield rifle chambered in .45 ACP. The suppressor was the full length of the barrel.

Back on topic it would depend on the calibre of the pistol and other factors. Don't underestimate the power of the little .22lr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZQZLgkYzo4

A pistol would have a lot lower velocity

Imbiber wrote:I forgot to add, the S&W pistol was often used to eliminate guard dogs and was known as the Hush Puppy...

Sounds as if some TLFers may have led more 'interesting' lives than others. ;)

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » November 20th, 2020, 7:31 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:The neat hole is another issue. A high velocity bullet might make one, but guess what. It's supersonic, so the bullet itself is not quiet.

Many years ago, while I was at university (1975 to be precise), I attended an explosives lecture, given by a retired professor of chemistry. Part of the lecture set out to show that a tallow candle could be shot through a barn door. A tallow candle was loaded into a shot gun, and aimed from about 10 metres at a 50mm thick sold wooden board. Behind the board were three house bricks, at approximately 30 cm spacing behind the "barn door". The shotgun was fired, and the tallow candle produced a beautifully neat round hole in the wood, and broke the first two house bricks, and knocked over the third.

I therefore don't have a problem with the round hole. It is just the rest of the program I have issues with. However, I still watch it regularly because it is good fun.

Return to “Does anyone know?”