Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Elderly fall alarms

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Elderly fall alarms

Postby Sunnypad » September 15th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Hi all
Just trawling through these to find a suitable option for my elderly mother

I’ve noticed most companies mention broadband in their connection guides. Does anyone know of a company that will connect this via the telephone socket only? I’m guessing mum can’t be the only person with no internet and I hope it’s all right to ask here, otherwise I’ll have to contact lots of companies.

Thanks in advance for any help.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Re: Elderly fall alarms

Postby 6Tricia » September 15th, 2020, 9:00 pm

My panic button provider was originally my local council but it was outsourced several times over the years and is now with NRS Healthcare. It is telephone based, costs about £12 p.m. and is serviced once a year. I also get a call periodically to check that it's functioning.

HTH
Tricia

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 15th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Local councils (at least in Scotland) can provide alarms that go around the person's neck. If they fall, the only have to press the button and they get connected with a control centre who will send the right people round or contact family to help. This does not require broadband.

They can also provide alarms that will automatically kick in if someone falls over and is unable to press the button.

My father and my mother in law have both had these systems installed and lived in different local authorities.

C

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » September 15th, 2020, 10:10 pm

When I researched this I was disappointed that most needed the person to get to the landline to talk to the call centre if the panic button was pressed by mistake. There was no speaker/mike on the pendant worn round the neck. There were some that had a sim in the pendant, but they needed charging rather too frequently.

Some alarms have accelerators that spot falls, and I know they can broadcast that across the internet to reassure your that the person is moving to their usual pattern, but that's an advanced feature.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 15th, 2020, 10:51 pm

Thank you so much for all the replies

I wonder if all the websites include a standard statement about connecting to broadband because they can, rather than it being essential.

Much appreciated
Sunny

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 15th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Sunnypad wrote:I’ve noticed most companies mention broadband in their connection guides.

What's the actual wording?

"broadband" is generic. It could be wifi, which would require access to a wifi router. But it would make much more sense for it to work over the 'phone network: the device vendor would have a deal with one of the telcos - similar to what, for example, Amazon has for users of 4g-enabled kindle devices.

And their market is oldies, some of whom might struggle with setup steps like telling it a wifi password. Much better to have something that requires no configuration from the end-user.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 16th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Back in 2010/2011 before my mother died (not from a fall!) Cheshire council supplied a service called Careline which worked via her regular phone line. There was a box installed in her living room that connected to a pendant or wrist device with a big red button she could push if she fell or had some other emergency. That called the emergency centre who obviously would send out help but could also try and talk to her over the box on the wall which essentially was also a speakerphone. There was also a key box with a combination installed near the front door where Careline knew the combination so that they could let themselves in if my mother couldn't get to the door.

It was a while ago so I can't 100% guarantee this is the correct web site but I would be extremely surprised if it isn't - https://www.careline24.co.uk/careline/

- Julian

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » September 16th, 2020, 5:23 pm

All sorts of features can be included in theses systems.
30 years ago I led the design and writing of the software for a control centre it covered these features:

Speaker phone
Pendant
Pull cords in all rooms
Smoke/fire detector
Room Temperature
Movement sensor ( no movement in the hall for 24hours would trigger an alert), It could also be switched to burglar alarm mode.
Remote door unlock

The database included,Date of Birth,Medical conditions, Next of Kin + 3 other contacts,Doctor, Social worker, and even preferred form of address ( Mrs Smith,Elizabeth, Liz,Lizzie,Betty)

You may guess that this was not a commercial system but specified by a large city council.

rob

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 18th, 2020, 11:08 am

Thank you for all this information

I think Careline looks likely, just waiting on some final info and then hopefully I can have it done for next week.

Thanks so much.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 18th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Do it through your local council. The system operates over the telephone line. My MIL does not have broadband. The box they install in the house is linked to a pendant by radio I believe. They also installed a smoke detection unit. £15 per month total.

Return to “Does anyone know?”