Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Showering at work

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Showering at work

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 23rd, 2020, 5:32 pm

stevensfo wrote:Have you considered making the kids wear strong tape over their mouths and tying their hands to the desk so they can't touch their faces? Many problems solved at the same time. 8-)

Don't suppress them. Educate them!

An appropriate educational exercise here is to have them chop hot chillies. Any hand wandering to a facial orifice after that administers a strong but brief lesson.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 23rd, 2020, 5:40 pm

Perhaps an electric bike is the answer.

John

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » September 23rd, 2020, 10:09 pm

Perhaps an electric bike is the answer.

John

Lateral thinking!
I saw one going up a hill yesterday, which I remember from school days as being a real slog, and while the rider did pedal, it didn’t look like a lot of effort was being used.

It would bring new problems however, principally how to prevent would-be tea-leaves from making off with it, while being less portable.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 24th, 2020, 12:40 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Therms wrote:You may not believe this, but I am a teacher. I wonder what that means - I am fit enough to cycle, so a low risk of virus related complications, but I teach so I'm exposed to every germ and virus known to man.

I am fit enough to cycle, but am - according to all available information - at rather high risk if I catch the virus, on account of medical conditions.

Talking of which, health programme on t'wireless today talked extensively of blood clots, and mentioned them as a covid issue. We've known from the start that heart conditions are a big covid risk factor, but DAK if anyone has correlated covid stats specifically with heart or blood medications?

Could it be that blood thinners, blood pressure drugs, or statins, are themselves a risk factor for serious covid complications? DAK if any reputable research has addressed this subject?

COVID does appear to "thicken" the blood and there's plenty of research about it e.g. https://www.onlinejacc.org/content/76/1/122
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7402379/
- and administration of thinners is standard practice with COVID patients

How that affects someone who is already on such medication isn't entirely clear; depending on the reasons it was prescribed it might have a prophylactic effect or it might be "cancelled out"

- sd

Therms

Postby Therms » September 24th, 2020, 7:51 am

Thanks again everyone for you input. I don't want to break the rules and the thread wander off into conversation, but to clarify my teaching: I teach in Further Education, which is 16 to 18 year old students. I teach vocational studies - for me it's construction.

The showers are used for students doing sport in the sports hall and gym. The showers are empty in the morning; the students aren't allowed in there until after 08:30.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 24th, 2020, 8:08 am

I'm a bit confused showers are open later for PE kids but closed for staff.

Or are showers now closed for everyone?

Therms

Postby Therms » September 24th, 2020, 8:18 am

Yes, the showers are now closed to everyone. Initially they were closed to students because of the distancing in the changing room. Now they are closed to all.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 24th, 2020, 8:26 am

Therms wrote:
Yes, the showers are now closed to everyone. Initially they were closed to students because of the distancing in the changing room. Now they are closed to all.

If the primary reason for closing the showers was to reduce transmission risk to students, then perhaps someone decided that such a decision was difficult to justify if the students knew they were still being used by staff..

I'm not trying to justify why closing them for everyone might be the correct thing to do. I'm just trying to suggest that it sounds like the simplest reason behind the secondary closure to staff at this time...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Does anyone know?”