Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Waterproof Walking Boots?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
feder1
Lemon Slice

Waterproof Walking Boots?

Postby feder1 » September 22nd, 2020, 2:09 pm

DAK any suggestions for walking boots that are able to cope with walking on wet grass and yet keeping my feet dry please?

The ones I have are “waterpoof-breathable” which means that the rubber soles don,t let water in but the fabric uppers do! (trade descriptions?)

Gum boots would not be suitable since I may walk a couple of miles on this large playing field which usually has long wet grass on it every morning.

I put my feet in plastic bags but still feel the water sloshing around in the shoes.

Two applications of proprietry waterproofing spray was ineffective.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Waterproof Walking Boots?

Postby swill453 » September 22nd, 2020, 2:15 pm

Despite all the competition, I find genuine Gore Tex in leather boots is hard to beat. But walking in wet grass is one of the hardest environments short of wading in water. You'd really need a sealed rubber boot for guaranteed waterproofing.

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 22nd, 2020, 3:16 pm

Long wet grass? At a guess, you're dislodging lots of water as you go, and a surprising amount of that is entering your boots from above, around your ankles. You want that to go away, you'll need long wellies, with all their downsides - including soaking in your own sweat.

Next best thing is footwear that remains comfy even when wet. Bonus points if it doesn't whiff when you take them off. Less is more: the ultimate - if you can countenance it - is bare feet.

My general-purpose compromise if I know the feet will get wet is trainers. And - for ground such as mud and puddles - I have a pair of waterproof trainers ("try anything once") that impress me by keeping the feet dry even in two or three inches of water (where necessary on tiptoe to stop it lapping over the ankles). But trainers do whiff as they dry :cry:

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » September 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm

Currently I have a pair of CAT work boots, waterproof but they do let some water in around the laces so the tops of my socks have damp patches. I've previously had army boots, those with the sewn in tongues being my favourites. German paratroopers boots and a pair of gaitors I found an effective protection in long wet grass and puddled muddy tracks.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

I use Hi Tec Eurotrek III leather walking boots - a good mid-price option that have proved very reliable. Avoid Karrimor branded stuff from Sports Direct
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Tec-Eurotre ... oes&sr=1-2
I polish them with Granger's wax occasionally
I also have gaiters for walking in long grass/deep mud
Last edited by AleisterCrowley on September 22nd, 2020, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » September 22nd, 2020, 3:25 pm

I have (non-blood) relations in North Lincolnshire who I swear were born in Wellies! However, suggest OP goes into 'Go Outdoors' and gets some advice and perhaps has a look at something like a 'Muck Boot'.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 22nd, 2020, 3:28 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Long wet grass? At a guess, you're dislodging lots of water as you go, and a surprising amount of that is entering your boots from above, around your ankles.

That's a good point. Wear gaiters, if you aren't already.

Scott.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » September 22nd, 2020, 4:07 pm

feder1 wrote:DAK any suggestions for walking boots that are able to cope with walking on wet grass and yet keeping my feet dry please?

The ones I have are “waterpoof-breathable” which means that the rubber soles don,t let water in but the fabric uppers do! (trade descriptions?)

Gum boots would not be suitable since I may walk a couple of miles on this large playing field which usually has long wet grass on it every morning.

I put my feet in plastic bags but still feel the water sloshing around in the shoes.

Two applications of proprietry waterproofing spray was ineffective.

Accept that most walking boots (apart from wellington boots, but they're not really suitable for long walks) aren't really waterproof. They'll hold out the water for so long (depending on the circs and the care they receive) but eventually they'll let the water in. Try waterproof socks. Sealskinz are a ubiquitous brand, but I got a pair of waterproof socks at Aldi (Thursday/central aisle event) for about a fiver a couple of years ago, and they fit the bill when necessary. If you only pay a fiver, you only expect a fiver's worth of use out of them (and they've done more). Bear in mind that waterproof socks are generally thicker than the typical walking sock, so may affect the fit of the boot. I have also used plastic bags to get me out of a fix, but they're quite slipperly/slidey.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » September 22nd, 2020, 4:58 pm

feder1 wrote:Gum boots would not be suitable since I may walk a couple of miles on this large playing field which usually has long wet grass on it every morning.

Walking around playing fields?

Buy some high quality (pricey) neoprene-lined wellies with excellent soles and comfort, such as those made by Aigle (>£100), or Decathlon's great-value R500 Aigle-copies (£50), which I strongly suspect are actually made for them by Aigle, so similar are some of the details:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/r500-warm ... R-p-187071

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/520-women ... 97&c=BROWN

My other half uses Aigle wellies and I use the Decathon ones; they're nothing like the flimsy, cr@ppy things most people are accustomed to. I wear mine most days of the year, walking miles in them over all terrain, including chunks of lumpy coastal path and the Pennine Way. Best thing? Fully cleaned in 15s with a spray of a hose pipe.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » September 22nd, 2020, 5:18 pm

Second Decathlon for wellies. The ones I have from there are branded Chameau. Half length, not the full almost-to-the-knee ones, they were from the equestrian section. Easily slip on, yet hold firm when walking & don’t get sweaty (a miracle).

dubre
2 Lemon pips

Postby dubre » September 22nd, 2020, 5:48 pm

waterproof golf boots are excellent for muddy and extremely wet grass. not so comfotable on hard standing because of the studs.

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » September 22nd, 2020, 10:46 pm

I bought a pair of Argyll wellies (about £60 a pair) for agricultural use - lots of walking around in wet grass! I've found them to be remarkably comfortable and supple compared with your typical wellies, and have worn them all day in some pretty arduous conditions with remarkably little sweat or discomfort.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 23rd, 2020, 6:16 am

Good walking boots and a pair of gators over the top!

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » September 23rd, 2020, 7:46 am

Gerry557 wrote:Good walking boots and a pair of gators over the top!

Something like this you mean? That will be an awkward walk!

;-)

GS

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 23rd, 2020, 9:45 am

GoSeigen wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:Good walking boots and a pair of gators over the top!

Something like this you mean? That will be an awkward walk!

;-)

GS

Yep those are the ones. They are waterproof and fashionable much better than those cheaper plastic looking gaiters the average walker uses. I prefer yours as they come with a matching set of crocs

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 23rd, 2020, 12:36 pm

Talk about a meal being tough as old boots!

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » October 5th, 2020, 12:06 am

tikunetih wrote:
feder1 wrote:Gum boots would not be suitable since I may walk a couple of miles on this large playing field which usually has long wet grass on it every morning.

Walking around playing fields?

Buy some high quality (pricey) neoprene-lined wellies with excellent soles and comfort, such as those made by Aigle (>£100), or Decathlon's great-value R500 Aigle-copies (£50), which I strongly suspect are actually made for them by Aigle, so similar are some of the details:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/r500-warm ... R-p-187071

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/520-women ... 97&c=BROWN

My other half uses Aigle wellies and I use the Decathon ones; they're nothing like the flimsy, cr@ppy things most people are accustomed to. I wear mine most days of the year, walking miles in them over all terrain, including chunks of lumpy coastal path and the Pennine Way. Best thing? Fully cleaned in 15s with a spray of a hose pipe.

I’ll second that, I use a good pair of neoprene lined wellies to walk the dog in the park in winter, they have genuine Vibram’walking boot’ type soles and are comfy, warm and waterproof.

Having said that I’ve had plenty pairs of walking boots in my time and used to do surveys that required walking through grass and heather all day in all conditions and can attest that a good gortex lining in either a leather or fabric boot is a good option, I used to partner that with a ‘yeti gaiter’ that covered the whole boot. With Leather boots I’d spend a few days constantly rubbing ‘Sno seal’ into them for extra proofing, in most cases that’d last a few weeks hard walking Rough stuff, But for wandering around the park probably months. But really unless I’m going up a hill/mountain these days I pop the wellies on.

These are the ones I use, very good value compared to Aigles and Le Chams etc:
https://www.hoggs.co.uk/field-pro-hoggs-of-fife/field-sport-neo-lined-wellington
The soles have superb grip and support.

Bh

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » October 5th, 2020, 4:10 pm

bionichamster wrote:These are the ones I use, very good value compared to Aigles and Le Chams etc:
https://www.hoggs.co.uk/field-pro-hoggs-of-fife/field-sport-neo-lined-wellington
The soles have superb grip and support.

They look good - I'll bear them in mind when mine wear out.

Rockfish are another good option, used by my "outdoors-man" pal:
https://rockfishfootwear.co.uk/collections/mens-wellies

And Muck Boots seem decent too:
https://muckbootcompany.co.uk/collectio ... og-walking

Return to “Does anyone know?”