Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Fake Christmas Trees

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Fake Christmas Trees

Postby Andy46 » November 2nd, 2020, 2:34 pm

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a new Faux Christmas tree which was going to replace a 15 year old Faux Christmas Tree (the only one i've ever owned), it consists of 3 pieces. When i take it out of the box and stand it up, all the branches are on hinges so just drop down effortlessly after which i have to plump out the branches.

The one i've just taken delivery of has a trunk made up of 4 pieces, then 36 individual branches which you have to slot in which it fails to mention in the advert and in my mind is far too much faffing about.

DAK: Before I consider sending it back and looking for one which is less hassle. Do they tend to come in so many pieces? If so i'll keep it.

Regards

chris
Lemon Pip

Re: Fake Christmas Trees

Postby chris » November 3rd, 2020, 3:54 pm

Hi Andy

We looked at several fake trees and the quality is very patchy. The one we ended up with is probably based on the same model as you have and has about 4 different levels with independent branches that you hook in. It is a faff but when comparing the quality to some of the other trees we looked at, there is no comparison. Sure it is a hassle to put it up but it is 2 x 1/2 hour put up / take down each year to get a good looking tree that we all like; so I prefer that and the extra quality to a cheap looking tree that is easier to put up any day.

Chris

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 3rd, 2020, 4:12 pm

Ours came in many many pieces.

We used it once, I was then going to Freecycle it as it was such a faff, but as it wasn't hceap MrsF said "no".

This is great as for the last 4 years I've said "well if you want it up you **** about with it then", which has meant I didn't have to grovel in the loft to get it out :)

DrHumbug.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 3rd, 2020, 5:13 pm

We went through 20 years of my wife insisting on a real Christmas tree, despite the transport, the faffing about with the base, the mess at the end with the needles falling off, getting it through the doors etc (It was always BIG and at least 2.5 metres tall!! My stepladder is bloody heavy!)

Now it's an artificial tree. It was expensive and maybe a pain to put it up, but it looks brilliant, and there's no way I'm going back to a real one!!!

Steve

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » November 4th, 2020, 8:22 am

we had a large one for years that was similar to that which you now have, but we gave up with the effort
(you dont need effort with a fake tree...thats what real trees are for!!)

we last year picked up a 6ft fake one in Robert Dyas...3 pieces and fixed branches similar to your original one
ok need to fluff up the 'leaves' a little when it first comes out of box...but its very easy

it was a display tree so very much reduced, no box etc etc...but so easy by comparison

no connection to Robert Dyas...but they are in the high street

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 4th, 2020, 1:04 pm

We have a Christmas tree in the loft, which sounds very similar - some branches that slot into holders on the main stem, that you assemble and 'fluff up' in about five minutes. With ours, the branches have integrated lights, where the holders also connect the branch lights to the main stem, which plugs in to the mains.

Jealous yet, hearing about the life-styles of the rich and famous? I have to confess, even that is too much effort, the 'all-in-one' quick assemble tree stayed in the loft for the last two years, and we have managed to survive without a tree. So:
Bah Humbug (2)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 12th, 2020, 2:57 pm

We have the multiple piece slot in branches of various sizes variety of tree, probably 20 yo now.

It will appear at the beginning of next month, and be adorned with two sets of lights and as much tinsel and as many vintage decorations as we cam cram onto it, and it will be there until 12th night.

All other downstairs rooms will be adorned with lights and dangling doohickuses, many 40+yo.

Where Christmas decorations are concerned, I definitely don't do bah humbug.

V8

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » November 12th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Ours, bought last year at great cost from Dobbies ;), is in 3 sections with hinged branches. We checked before buying how much hassle it would be (as my wife knows my short fuse well).

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 13th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Hmm... having ruined one vacuum cleaner and temporarily crippled another through cleaning up fir-tree needles from the carpet, we bought a very good artificial one (not hinged, but with colour-coded branches).
All I need now is a scent-of-fir-tree aerosol.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 13th, 2020, 2:16 pm

I'm getting a bit confused by this thread.

Hasn't it only been about 2 months since we took them down?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 15th, 2020, 9:29 am

Itsallaguess wrote:I'm getting a bit confused by this thread.

Hasn't it only been about 2 months since we took them down?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Well, we never paid any attention to the tradition of taking it down so many days after Christmas. If the needles were still not falling, we often left the tree up till mid-February at least. Nothing's changed since we got an artificial tree. I think that one year, I got so used to seeing it that I suggested keeping it there as long as possible.

Of course, this may also be due to the amount of work required in dismantling the thing, re-packing all decorations....etc. ;)

Steve

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » November 17th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, it seems i must have dropped lucky with my last one, i presumed they would all be like that but it seems coming in multiple pieces is common.

Thanks

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 18th, 2020, 7:38 am

What is wrong with you people. Every year, a week or two before Xmas, my son and I stick our wellies on, get some stout leather gardening gloves and go off into the forest with an axe and a bow saw. We walk around for a while selecting the perfect tree, which is always about two feet taller than the one Mrs RS wants us to bring. We then chop it down and drag it back to the car. Once home I spend an hour or so trimming it up and fitting the base before Mrs RS and daughter spend a couple of hours decorating it. While this is happening I spend an hour or so hoovering out the car, damn those pine needles stick so well to car carpets!

Once the tree is up we admire it for a few seconds while vowing to get a fake one next year!

John

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 18th, 2020, 1:08 pm

redsturgeon wrote:What is wrong with you people. Every year, a week or two before Xmas, my son and I stick our wellies on, get some stout leather gardening gloves and go off into the forest with an axe and a bow saw. We walk around for a while selecting the perfect tree, which is always about two feet taller than the one Mrs RS wants us to bring. We then chop it down and drag it back to the car. Once home I spend an hour or so trimming it up and fitting the base before Mrs RS and daughter spend a couple of hours decorating it. While this is happening I spend an hour or so hoovering out the car, damn those pine needles stick so well to car carpets!

Once the tree is up we admire it for a few seconds while vowing to get a fake one next year!

John

A fake tree also removes the worries about whether the landowner has recorded and reported your car registration number...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 18th, 2020, 1:13 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:What is wrong with you people. Every year, a week or two before Xmas, my son and I stick our wellies on, get some stout leather gardening gloves and go off into the forest with an axe and a bow saw. We walk around for a while selecting the perfect tree, which is always about two feet taller than the one Mrs RS wants us to bring. We then chop it down and drag it back to the car. Once home I spend an hour or so trimming it up and fitting the base before Mrs RS and daughter spend a couple of hours decorating it. While this is happening I spend an hour or so hoovering out the car, damn those pine needles stick so well to car carpets!

John

A fake tree also removes the worries about whether the landowner has recorded and reported your car registration number...

Fake plates, real tree!

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » November 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm

We have a real tree in a large pot which is on a wheeled stand. For most of the year it lives outside the back door, come Dec.20th or thereabouts it gets wheeled into the house, decorated and remains in the house until Jan.6th. It is then stripped of decorations, wheeled backoutside ready for next year.
This came about at the suggestion of OH who hates artificial trees but also can't be faffed with the problem of buying a real one. Don't know if our tree is a "proper" christmas tree but it's evergreen, doesn't shed needles and looks very festive when decorated and the lights are switched on.

R6

Return to “Does anyone know?”