Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Price monitoring extension

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Price monitoring extension

Postby Clitheroekid » November 23rd, 2020, 7:14 pm

For my sins I have some shares in Sosandar (with the sometimes appropriate ticker SOS). I noticed today that there was a price monitoring extension, then a second one, with the process repeated later.

I've tried Googling, but the only explanation I could find was less than helpful, so can anyone explain in plain English what it means, and whether it's good, bad or indifferent?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Price monitoring extension

Postby Breelander » November 23rd, 2020, 7:42 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:... can anyone explain in plain English what it means, and whether it's good, bad or indifferent?

You may be familiar with the SETS Auctions that take place immediately after the market closes, or just before it opens, and which determine the closing or opening prices.

You may not know that if a share price moves by more that a certain percentage over previous trades then a SETS auction is automatically triggered at any time during the day. A price monitoring extension is where the SETS auction fails to find a price, and is extended for a further five minutes to allow it to do so.

More here: https://aim-watch.com/project/price-mon ... explained/

Your SOS is aim-listed, so the above link is an appropriate one. But I have seen price monitoring extensions for big FT100 names like Vodafone too, usually nothing to be too concerned about. For the Aim market, perhaps more so, from the link above:

Are price monitoring extensions good or bad?

Price monitoring extensions can be alarming if you’re not expecting one, or you know it’s a precursor to a drop in share price. Nevertheless, they are there to help remove volatility from the market by slowing down trading and encouraging the market to reach a more considered price rather than moving around on individual trades. Considering the lower levels of liquidity on AIM, price monitoring extensions can be considered, then, an important mechanism to safeguard investors.

Return to “Does anyone know?”