Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

DAK of a good product to clean shower glass?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Mike4
Lemon Half

DAK of a good product to clean shower glass?

Postby Mike4 » February 28th, 2021, 11:16 pm

Despite having a proper ion exchange water softener, the clear glass of my new shower enclosure is slowly building up water marks/deposits that conventional "Flash" bathroom cleaner barely touches, and it beginning to look as though I never bother to clean it.

Does anyone here have a shower glass cleaner they can recommend please?

Many thanks...

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: DAK of a good product to clean shower glass?

Postby servodude » February 28th, 2021, 11:52 pm

Mike4 wrote:Despite having a proper ion exchange water softener, the clear glass of my new shower enclosure is slowly building up water marks/deposits that conventional "Flash" bathroom cleaner barely touches, and it beginning to look as though I never bother to clean it.

Many thanks...

the melamine foam sponge thing that disintegrates as you use it (magic eraser would be a branded one)
- works on fish tanks also
- actually works on most things

- sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 1st, 2021, 7:25 am

servodude wrote:the melamine foam sponge thing that disintegrates as you use it (magic eraser would be a branded one)

- sd

Interesting thanks, I've never heard of those! Just googled and found a Which? article reviewing some.

Looks a useful thing to have around but the Which? Article says they are not suitable for use on glass, but doesn't say why not.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2014/05/ar ... ue-365990/

I'll get some anyway!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 1st, 2021, 7:34 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:the melamine foam sponge thing that disintegrates as you use it (magic eraser would be a branded one)

- sd

Interesting thanks, I've never heard of those! Just googled and found a Which? article reviewing some.

Looks a useful thing to have around but the Which? Article says they are not suitable for use on glass, but doesn't say why not.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2014/05/ar ... ue-365990/

I'll get some anyway!

I believe they're microscopical abrasive; which is why some might avoid them on some glass
- but it's also what you want for lifting soap quickly
- never had any issues with them scratching stuff - just don't go harder than you need to (shower and fishtank I think are hardened glass anyway)

Cheap ones are just as good as "branded for a specific cleaning job" ones
- we've got big bricks that we cut to size

especially good at cleaning the grime you don't realise is on your white computer keys
-sd

Johnspenceuk

Postby Johnspenceuk » March 1st, 2021, 7:45 am

Mike4 wrote:Despite having a proper ion exchange water softener, the clear glass of my new shower enclosure is slowly building up water marks/deposits that conventional "Flash" bathroom cleaner barely touches, and it beginning to look as though I never bother to clean it.

Many thanks...

I have read recently that dishwasher tablets are a good shower glass cleaner.

John

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 1st, 2021, 7:51 am

I find Autoglym Fast Glass cleaner works pretty well.

It's a car care product but no-one has told my shower glass that it's not a windscreen :)

It comes in a trigger spray bottle and I apply it sparingly, and use a microfibre cloth and it cleans up well without leaving streaks or marks on the glass.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » March 1st, 2021, 8:03 am

White vinegar. Wipe it on, don't leave it to long and wipe off with kitchen paper towel. Most glass cleaners contain white vinegar. Repeat if necessary. It desolves any calcium deposits.I

Are you in a hard water area ?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2021, 8:09 am

For build up of misting of tiles and glass in a shower: it is often limescale residue. The only thing I've found that touches it is Viakal. Buy the thicker liquid version in a normal plastic bottle - not the spray on type, which seems gutless. Leave it on to soak for a while.

It will deal with lime scale around taps and plug holes too and will even fizz a bit when it attacts it. Surprisingly, limescale seems to be transported on to bathroom tiles in the vapour from bath or shower.

Arb.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » March 1st, 2021, 8:27 am

Having tried many different ones in the past I've settled on Kilrock products. It's available in spray or gel forms (for stubborn limescale - toilet pans etc).

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » March 1st, 2021, 10:33 am

Completely different route which works perfectly...

Use a Karcher hand held window cleaner to remove the water after your shower.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 1st, 2021, 12:44 pm

Many thanks...

I have a shower enclosure which has a coating which is very good at preventing the really really hard water in my area building up on it provided you squeegee it down after use (https://merlynshowering.com/mershield-stayclear/). You can see the difference between it and 'normal' glass as the water forms tiny little droplets on it rather than the usual large droplets. The instructions are not to use anything abrasive on it otherwise you risk damaging the coating, only a 50:50 mix of water and vinegar. At 40p for 500ml of white vinegar I find that just as effective as the far more expensive scale removers to soak shower heads to remove the scale from them.

For the chrome and aluminium trim areas where limescale does build up I find either Cif Perfect Finish Limescale Removal Spray is good or Viakal Classic Limescale Remover surface cleaning spray. It isn't too aggressive but is effective.

Spet0789 wrote:Completely different route which works perfectly...

Use a Karcher hand held window cleaner to remove the water after your shower.

How is that better than a simple squeegee with the water ending up in the shower tray to drain away?

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 1st, 2021, 6:40 pm

We squeegee off after using the shower, and then periodically spray a mix of water and white vinegar on the screens, leave that on for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off with water.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 1st, 2021, 6:55 pm

Argh - I have this problem - West Berks seems to have very hard water
Viakal just about works, with Kilrock gel for fittings
Then I have a shower and it looks like someone has rubbed chalk all over the glass.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 1st, 2021, 7:04 pm

Many thanks...

Is it a frameless door?

If not the plastic water bars should remove for cleaning

AiY

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 1st, 2021, 7:23 pm

Thanks for replies everyone.

Yes the water here is hard but not in my shower. As I mentioned in my OP, I have a water softener and shower water (according to my text kit) is 100% soft. Not sure I believe it from the level of crud on the glass tho!

Also, I'm pretty sure it was "self cleaning' glass according to the ebay listing I bought it from. It stayed very clean for the first six months then rapidly started to accumulate water marks. All very perplexing...

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 1st, 2021, 7:39 pm

We use vinegar recycled from gherkins, pickled chillis etc in a spray for the shower, sometimes diluted a bit, but it still needs a bit of elbow grease and occasionally a detergent to get the sticky scum off.
I use citric acid - I buy the powder - for kettles and I have thought of making a solution and putting it in the vinegar spray bottle.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 1st, 2021, 7:45 pm

I use Tesco's Daily Shower Spray. It works on tiles but we don't have any glass, so cannot speak for that. Just spray it on and leave it.

TJH

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I use Tesco's Daily Shower Spray. It works on tiles but we don't have any glass, so cannot speak for that. Just spray it on and leave it.
TJH

I tried using that too but I'm not sold on it. At first it seemed to work but I believe it built up it's own surface residues so became more of a problem that if we hadn't used it. Reminded me of a US product for windscreens to help keep them clean (for a while until^): RainX. There is RainX for showers too it seems.

I use HG:Hageson Blue, have done for about 30 years since first being tipped it. Costs a bit more than retail products, but you need very little and IME it genuinely really works well. Not unusual for trade products be they cleaners/paints/tools; costs a bit more/use less/really works. Looking on Amazon I see it listed as 'HG Professional Limescale Remover (Hageson Blue)'

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 3rd, 2021, 9:55 pm

I'm interested in this too as I share the probem.

I remember XRayTed on TMF set up a household cleaning board. We could almost do with one here. Maybe I should try and get in touch with her and see if she can work her magic on the owners here too. :)

C.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 3rd, 2021, 9:58 pm

Mike4 wrote:Does anyone here have a shower glass cleaner they can recommend please?

Spirits of Salts should do it. :lol:

Return to “Does anyone know?”