Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Is there any sensible reason to hang on to our CD collection?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Is there any sensible reason to hang on to our CD collection?

Postby Clariman » March 28th, 2021, 1:56 pm

For the last 10 years or so, we have had a Napster subscription and stream all audio content. We have a collection of over 500 CDs which were consigned to the garage years ago. We also have about 200 LPs which were consigned to the garage when we moved to CDs.

Is there any sensible reason to hang on to any of this? I can't really think of one. They take up space.

Thanks
Clariman

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Is there any sensible reason to hang on to our CD collection?

Postby staffordian » March 28th, 2021, 2:03 pm

Two minor reasons.

Maybe some have sentimental attachments, but if consigned to the garage, probably not,

Nostalgia. Many are returning to vinyl from digirtal music. Maybe there will be a similar shift to physical media if it is percieved that streaming quality is not as good?

We have a fair few, all digitised now and I can't think of a good reason to keep them, but I have. Possibly because I might think I can digitise them better or differently in the future?

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 28th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Clariman wrote: We also have about 200 LPs which were consigned to the garage when we moved to CDs.

Is there any sensible reason to hang on to any of this? I can't really think of one.

Aren't original LPs becoming valuable collector's items? The more obscure and thus rarer the better.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 28th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Clariman wrote:For the last 10 years or so, we have had a Napster subscription and stream all audio content. We have a collection of over 500 CDs which were consigned to the garage years ago. We also have about 200 LPs which were consigned to the garage when we moved to CDs.

Is there any sensible reason to hang on to any of this? I can't really think of one. They take up space.

Thanks
Clariman

The same could be said for books.

Some consider the physicality, and display, part of the utility of ownership that isn't there when "0s and 1s on a computer". Some see that as irrelevant. Whether that is a sensible reason, or not, and which camp you fall into, will have bearing on your answer I think.

(Owner of 100s of CDs and > 1,000 books - none of which are in the garage, although around 100 LPs are in the loft!).

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » March 28th, 2021, 2:10 pm

What if the streaming rights change significantly in the future?

This has happened with many TV shows and films on streaming services. They vanish and don't come back.

What if the "quick to be offended" start to look at the lyrics of many songs and get them banned as a result?

The original Star Wars film that's now available on streaming and DVD differs in parts from the original and older DVDs. Nowadays Han Solo didn't shoot first!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 28th, 2021, 2:14 pm

Alaric wrote:
Clariman wrote: We also have about 200 LPs which were consigned to the garage when we moved to CDs.

Is there any sensible reason to hang on to any of this? I can't really think of one.

Aren't original LPs becoming valuable collector's items? The more obscure and thus rarer the better.

It's been that way for a while now. I sold my 1968 first pressing of Electric Ladyland (with THAT outer record sleeve cover) to a friend in the mid-1970s and he never lets me forget how much it is worth now.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 28th, 2021, 2:32 pm

I like to own the physical object - book, CD, vinyl LP
Nothing beats a random browse through a CD pile, or along a bookshelf - finding stuff you'd forgotten about. It doesn't feel the same scanning a list on a computer.
I also have a sentimental attachment to a lot of things - particularly the LPs. I can remember when and where I bought a lot of them as finding 'rarer' non-chart LPs normally meant a long trek into Wolves/Brum, and a tour of the record shops. There were a few mail order outlets , but that involved getting the latest printed stock list, and usually waiting for several weeks - hoping the postie was aware of the 'Do Not Bend' warning on the package.
A friend of mine is moving to 100% vinyl slowly, buying old LPs to replace CDs ! Some old LPs are worth a huge amount (must check my older stuff, particularly the rare imports)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 28th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Alaric wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=14714#p179721

--kiloran

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » March 28th, 2021, 3:07 pm

If you want to spend some time checking their value then discogs is a good place to start

http://www.discogs.com

If you don't, them pass them onto Oxfam (or tell me where you live and I'll collect ;) )

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » March 28th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Clariman wrote:For the last 10 years or so, we have had a Napster subscription and stream all audio content. We have a collection of over 500 CDs which were consigned to the garage years ago. We also have about 200 LPs which were consigned to the garage when we moved to CDs.

Thanks
Clariman

I don't understand why you even need to ask this question.

Sitting unused in the garage? Sell them or give them away.

Personally I have loads of CDs. Sitting in my home and used virtually non-stop. I like having my music that way - with the benefit of inserts.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » March 28th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Thanks for all your interesting replies.

Music is a really important part of my life in so many ways, but what is important is the music itself - not the physical item that contains it. There is nothing of the "collector" in me - it is all about having access to good quality music - and streaming services give access to just about any music I might want to listen to.

And by "good quality music" I don't mean superb HiFi or massive digital sampling rates - I mean the actual composition or song itself. To me good quality music transcends trivial sound quality issues.

Although I can get sentimental about some objects, I wouldn't count CDs or LPs in that category. Again - it is because it is the "content (music)" that I would feel sentimental about not the physical object.

That said, the artwork and inserts of some old LPs was really good. That lessened dramatically with CDs and disappears with streaming.

I think I know my answer. :)

C

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » March 28th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Storing LPs in an unheated garage is usually a bad idea as they are susceptible to mould. If they are still OK I would sell or donate them before it is too late.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 28th, 2021, 11:18 pm

https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/ will hopefully keep them out of landfill maybe even earn you a bob.
I buy CDs from them, I use cds in the car, I'm not changing cars soon.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 31st, 2021, 10:52 pm

I have maybe two hundred CDs, more like 500 LPs and countless 78s.
Plus a couple of hundred self-recorded cassettes, mostly airchecks, Brian Rust, Humph.
But I do play them.

If you don't there seems little point. Let them go as a collection on eBay or AV forums.

Me, I like physical objects. I like the process of playing LPs & 78s. I played an LP - Joe Pass, Sound of Synanon - this evening.
Youtube is useful for live performances that were never issued for instance, but beyond that I wouldn't dream of relying on streaming or anything else that depends on the internet.
The web is an ephemeral thing.

V8

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 31st, 2021, 10:57 pm

I ripped my CDs years ago, threw away the jewel-boxes and covers, and kept the cds in big wallets, but I only play off the computer. I'd not rely on the Internet to replace the mp3s.

Return to “Does anyone know?”