Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Another track and trace question (sorry.....)

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Another track and trace question (sorry.....)

Postby bungeejumper » April 15th, 2021, 9:29 am

I recently had to take a PCR covid test, in advance of a hospital outpatient appointment, and the result (negative) was texted to my mobile phone. Together with an eight character code which I was instructed to enter into the NHS Covid-19 app, apparently so that my self-isolation advice can be updated.

The thing is, I don't have the NHS app on my mobile - partly because I live in a rural 3G notspot, but mostly because I don't (at present) go out much, let alone to the sorts of places that would require a QR scan for entry. (Whatever that is, and however that works? I have only the foggiest idea. :lol: ) But if I ignore this admonition to plug my "all-clear" code into the NHS app that I don't have :) , what's the worst that can happen?

Will I be refused entry to B&Q the next time I go there? Has the NHS effectively tagged me already, via my home address and mobile number? Or is it mostly an exercise in epidemiological data collection?

BJ

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Another track and trace question (sorry.....)

Postby chas49 » April 15th, 2021, 11:33 am

Your negative test result is a bit like an MOT result - only really valid on the day it was done but often taken as an indication of safety for a little while after.

Scanning the code at B&Q (with the app you don't have) - or entering your contact details on the record sheet won't be linked to a negative test. If you subsequently test positive, the track and trace process should find out where you've been....

However, scanning or recording contact details isn't a requirement at B&Q (at least it wasn't a couple of weeks ago)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 15th, 2021, 12:56 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I recently had to take a PCR covid test, in advance of a hospital outpatient appointment, and the result (negative) was texted to my mobile phone. Together with an eight character code which I was instructed to enter into the NHS Covid-19 app, apparently so that my self-isolation advice can be updated.

Was there an option to instead have your test results emailed to you? Then it is a simple matter to print those results and show the document to whoever wants to see your result. I am always wary about such things on a phone for fear I will have a technical issue at the critical juncture.

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » April 15th, 2021, 9:06 pm

If you don't enter the code into your phone, it won't give you updated self-isolation advice, as it says.

If you weren't self-isolating before you took the test, there's no way a negative test can require you to self-isolate, so nothing changes, and that's all the app would tell you. If you were, a negative test may in some circumstances allow you to stop doing so earlier, which the app would work out for you - or you can read the NHS advice and work out the relevant dates for yourself.

Return to “Does anyone know?”