Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Fridge query

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fridge query

Postby jfgw » May 3rd, 2021, 7:53 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:After 17 years, the heat exchanger at the back is likely to be choked with dust and cobwebs. In that case, improving ventilation without cleaning the rear of the unit is unlikely to be fully successful. But worth a try.

From answers given, I am guessing that this is built under. The heat exchanger will be at the bottom, not the back, if this is the case. It might need a clean but I do not see how this would cause the fridge to be too cold.

I, too, couldn't find that model number.

17 years is a long time for a fridge these days. The old CFC ones lasted decades, though.

Julian F. G. W.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 3rd, 2021, 8:49 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Regarding the overheating flat - From my own experience of super insulated flats - I presume the flat has a mechanical ventilation and heat recovery unit installed (MHVR)? It should have a bypass function so that in the warmer months the heat recovery doesn't function but the ventilation does. Are you using the bypass function in summer? I know some very cheap and nasty MHVR units bought by developers actually omit the bypass due to cost. These units do then overheat the flat in summer and the only option is to then switch the unit off and open doors/windows. Which of course, defeats the objective of the super insulated flat and the MHVR. It is also possible that the MHVR unit is installed incorrectly or is not working properly. They do need an annual service and filter change. If in the worst case, if your MHVR unit is really cheap and nasty without a bypass, you should think about a better quality one. HTH.
One of my sons moved into a new flat with one of those cheap MHVRs. In summer it was like a greenhouse up on the third floor, so was his neighbour's flat. He asked me to help sort it out. When I read the instruction leaflet there was only one paragraph in it. It said, if it is too hot outside open the windows. The flats didn't have any windows that could be opened!

Eventually the owner used the retention to persuade the builder to change out some windows for the opening variety.

C.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:The extremely poor standards that appear to be embedded in the house building industry in the UK are going to have to change drastically if dwelling energy efficiency is ever going to make the step change the government wants. I don't see how that's going to change anytime soon despite a ban in only four years time on new builds having gas heating installed.

RVF

I totally agree, but my analysis of how it comes about is the twin pressures on a builder i.e. the expectation from shareholders to make ever more profit and the reluctance of the UK consumer to pay more for higher quality. The net result is a race to the bottom where every expense is spared in the design and construction of our housing stock.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » May 3rd, 2021, 10:29 pm

I don't know what an MHVR is.

There's no air cooling in these flats if that's what it means?

And flats with windows that can't be opened? That's shocking.

I am absolutely useless at DIY so the cheapest solution is definitely going to be a mini fridge in the hall. I know some will find this OTT, but as a single woman, I only have workmen from registered companies come into the flat. I realise it probably doubles the price but my safety is the priority.

Perhaps we'll have a crappy summer and it won't be an issue. I would never normally wish for a crappy summer but living in these flats, you do! They used to let me sit in the church garden of an evening but none of that is likely to open this summer.

Return to “Does anyone know?”