Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

charitable incorporated organisation

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
genou
Lemon Quarter

charitable incorporated organisation

Postby genou » May 24th, 2021, 3:07 pm

We are looking to move an existing unincorporated association to a CIO. We will therefore need a new bank account ( as the existing account supplier tells us so ). But to get a CIO account we need a Charity Commission registration number. Looking at the Charity Commission process, registering a CIO requires that you have a bank account. Catch-22 apparently. Has anyone been here/ done that ? Can we

have no account at commencement of the CIO

or

refer to the existing account, which will be pretty immediately closed once we get a registration number

or

something more cunning?

didds
Lemon Half

Re: charitable incorporated organisation

Postby didds » May 26th, 2021, 8:30 am

I'd explain the dichotomy to the bank and ask them for further advice - it's not as if you can be the first person to ever have this need.

Certainly I'd also ask another bank or two - or even ask somebody different at the same bank - or try another branch. This sounds like a confused "advisor".

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » May 26th, 2021, 10:53 am

didds wrote:I'd explain the dichotomy to the bank and ask them for further advice - it's not as if you can be the first person to ever have this need.

Certainly I'd also ask another bank or two - or even ask somebody different at the same bank - or try another branch. This sounds like a confused "advisor".

Been there, done that. I don't think he is confused - the application form for the new account specifically asks for a Charity Commission Registration Number. Whether other banks have different requirements I haven't checked yet.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 26th, 2021, 12:46 pm

genou wrote:Been there, done that. I don't think he is confused - the application form for the new account specifically asks for a Charity Commission Registration Number.

the dichotomy explanation may be ... interesting... for the bank then :-)

I wonder if they actually have any such accounts opened and are wonderign why they have none if that is the case? :-)

Good luck :-)

didds

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 26th, 2021, 5:01 pm

didds wrote:I'd explain the dichotomy to the bank and ask them for further advice - it's not as if you can be the first person to ever have this need.

I'm not sure that the registration process requires you to have a bank account already in the name of the CIO. The guidance document at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... stions.pdf says:

"Bank or building society account details
If the organisation has a bank or building society account, you’ll need to provide:
• the account name
• the bank or building society’s name
• the account number
• the sort code or roll number"

I think the key word there is "If"

If you haven't yet opened a new account, you don't need to provide those details - or is that incorrect?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » May 26th, 2021, 5:25 pm

chas49 wrote:

If you haven't yet opened a new account, you don't need to provide those details - or is that incorrect?

You are correct. I was looking at https://www.gov.uk/setting-up-charity/r ... ty#content , which says "you'll also need to give... bank..details"

But I bit the bullet and started the application process. You can indeed say that you don't have a bank account.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 26th, 2021, 11:04 pm

genou wrote:
chas49 wrote:

You are correct. I was looking at https://www.gov.uk/setting-up-charity/r ... ty#content , which says "you'll also need to give... bank..details"

But I bit the bullet and started the application process. You can indeed say that you don't have a bank account.

Good luck - and hopefully you'll get the necessary number to wave at the bank in due course.

Return to “Does anyone know?”