Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Import Duty

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Import Duty

Postby JessUK98 » June 9th, 2021, 4:38 pm

I've inadvertently purchased an item from Denmark. I hadn't realised until I was sent an email saying it had been dispatched and the invoice was attached with their address. There is nothing on their website to say where they are based and I can't find any information on shipping on their site. The company is a well know global one and the website was in GBP with free postage so I just assumed it would be shipped from a UK distribution center.

Anyway, the invoice has the following information:

UPS Standard: £0
Total incl. VAT: £159.99
VAT forms (20%): £26.66

The VAT forms bit is greyed out. I presume VAT has been paid by them therefore, but will I still be presented with some form of import duty? I've never had to think of stuff like this before Brexit :roll:

TIA

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Import Duty

Postby supremetwo » June 9th, 2021, 4:49 pm

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... tax-brexit

When the UK leaves the EU VAT area, it will become a third country.
This means that the way businesses manage VAT on goods and services exported and imported to/from the EU will change.
Sellers will not charge VAT, but buyers will have to pay VAT to HMRC at the point of import (alongside any applicable customs duties).

There are low value exemptions but well below the amount you state.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » June 9th, 2021, 4:53 pm

supremetwo wrote:https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/tax-brexit

This means that the way businesses manage VAT on goods and services exported and imported to/from the EU will change.
Sellers will not charge VAT, but buyers will have to pay VAT to HMRC at the point of import (alongside any applicable customs duties).

This is what is confusing me though, as the price I have paid is RRP in the UK. So they've charged me the VAT already. So do I pay anything else when it gets here?

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » June 9th, 2021, 5:08 pm

JessUK98 wrote:
supremetwo wrote:https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/tax-brexit

This is what is confusing me though, as the price I have paid is RRP in the UK. So they've charged me the VAT already. So do I pay anything else when it gets here?

If you have actually paid the £159.99, perhaps they have a arrangement with UK customs?

Ask them.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 9th, 2021, 8:55 pm

supremetwo wrote:
If you have actually paid the £159.99, perhaps they have a arrangement with UK customs?

Ask them.

And if they don't then refuse the delivery and seek a refund (potentially from the credit card company) and perhaps then they will improve their website.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 9th, 2021, 11:49 pm

Are you sure you bought from Denmark?

Perhaps it's just the admin/paperwork coming from there, but with your order being fulfilled from within Blighty?

(and no, to be honest, I don't know if that makes sense. Neither does your situation on the face of it).

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 10th, 2021, 12:29 am

supremetwo wrote:
JessUK98 wrote:

Ask them.

I think it's probably going to be fine
- most of the big global suppliers online have got their act in order and the price you see is the price you pay (assuming you're not hiding behind a VPN when you order)

If it does attract the attention of HMRC you will receive a notice before you get the goods - possibly at the point of delivery (i.e. you pay the delivery guy before you receive)
you'll notice then that what they're trying to charge you is double what you expected
- because there's vat on the shipping, and customs duty and fees (?! yes they charge you for charging you)
- at which point you can decide if it's worth it - or let them return to sender

But from the sounds of it.... being a global company displaying GBP with free shipping I think you'll be fine
- if you wanted to post a link to the website we could see if there's anything the clears stuff up in their T&Cs

- sd

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » June 15th, 2021, 10:30 am

Just an update, item has arrived and I was not requested to part with any more money on its arrival, so hopefully this means all is well and I’ll not get a bill in the post :lol:

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 15th, 2021, 11:40 am

I bought something recently from a UK business, and it arrived rather slowly from Germany.
No VAT.

Ebay have flagged a related point if one is sending stuff to the continonk:

From 1 July, and in line with new legislation, eBay will collect VAT on all goods which are sold through eBay and shipped to buyers in the European Union (EU) with a consignment value up to EUR150. eBay will collect VAT on all sales to private individuals, regardless of seller status. eBay will declare the VAT collected under our Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) number.

As EU customs need to identify if VAT has already been paid for EU imports, eBay’s IOSS number needs to be shared electronically with carriers. In cases where eBay has collected VAT and the goods are shipped from the UK, you are responsible for sharing eBay’s IOSS number with your carrier. Failure to share eBay’s IOSS will lead to buyers paying VAT again on delivery. Note that the Post Office systems do not accept a manually provided IOSS number.

If you continue sending parcels through the Post Office without pre-purchasing labels through Click & Drop or the other alternatives set out below, your buyers may have to pay VAT again on delivery.

I presume the same sort of IOSS arrangement applies to European sellers shipping to the UK, whether using eBay or not.

V8

Return to “Does anyone know?”