Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Watch repair recommendations?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Watch repair recommendations?

Postby stevensfo » June 11th, 2021, 11:38 am

I have very nice Raymond Weil and Dynamic Seiko watches from my late father and haven't worn them for a long time. They are both in need of a good service, change of watch face etc. I was not at all impressed by the service I received from the shop I used last time.

Has anyone had good experience with the many online sites that will check/service/repair watches and send them back?

Thanks,

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Watch repair recommendations?

Postby servodude » June 11th, 2021, 12:17 pm

stevensfo wrote:I have very nice Raymond Weil and Dynamic Seiko watches from my late father and haven't worn them for a long time. They are both in need of a good service, change of watch face etc. I was not at all impressed by the service I received from the shop I used last time.

Has anyone had good experience with the many online sites that will check/service/repair watches and send them back?

Thanks,

Steve

The only experience I have of watch repairs online is buying a kit to help me service my Vostoks myself ;) (got to love the way an amphibia works)

If you're not up for that I'd try and take them in to a local jewelers
- you'll know pretty quickly if they're in any way interested; even if they can't do it themselves
- I'd rather have a point of contact for a watch sent away than just the address it's been sent to
- but for sentimental reasons have, a few times, spent more than watch is "worth" on having things fixed (e.g. grandad's cheap Seiko getting an overhaul was worth it)

-sd

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » June 11th, 2021, 12:37 pm

stevensfo wrote:I have very nice Raymond Weil and Dynamic Seiko watches from my late father and haven't worn them for a long time. They are both in need of a good service, change of watch face etc. I was not at all impressed by the service I received from the shop I used last time.

Thanks,

Steve

If it's Seiko Kinetic, I have used this repairer:
https://kinetic-repairs.co.uk/seiko/
and they did a pretty good job

newlyretired

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » June 11th, 2021, 1:19 pm

There's a firm called Watch Lab They only do repairs. Worth a look if there's one near you.

Rob

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 12th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Thanks for all the advice. That Seiko site looks pretty good, so I'll ask them to change the face as well, since it's scratched. I'll try a different jeweller for the Raymond Weil.

- but for sentimental reasons have, a few times, spent more than watch is "worth" on having things fixed (e.g. grandad's cheap Seiko getting an overhaul was worth it)

That brought back sad memories of being given my grandad's beautiful Tissot watch when he died. A student with my head in the clouds, I still remember the second when it slipped off my wrist into the sea, during an inter-railing trip in France. :cry: On the positive side, it made me decide never to give our own kids anything sentimental, precious or valuable till they were well in their mid-twenties.

Steve

Return to “Does anyone know?”