Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Repairing a marquee

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
88V8
Lemon Half

Repairing a marquee

Postby 88V8 » June 12th, 2021, 3:55 pm

Perhaps 2020/21 will in future be looked upon as the golden age of the marquee.
Last month, via eBay I bought one for use by the Village Hall.

It has had a life, and bears some scars.

There are a few rips in the PVC sides and roof that I need to repair.
Tent repairers seem to be backed up with work. The lockdown, staycations.... so I'm trying Gear Aid Tenacious Tape which is verrrry sticky, and so it should be at £8 for a 20" length - yes, you read that right.

Is there anything better?

I can reinforce some of it with stitching, using the oversized needles and overstrong thread that my wife would say characterises my sewing efforts.

In case you are thinking that I did not buy well in buying the marquee... it's a Gala; I referred to it as 'it', but for £155 + £110 carriage, we actually acquired three 8x4m and 1 x 4x4m, so not too bad overall even with tlc needed.

We had a trial erection*, how to repair the faults that became apparent, that is the question now.

V8
* other words may be available.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Repairing a marquee

Postby Mike4 » June 12th, 2021, 4:19 pm

I bought some tape from a chandlery to repair a long knife slice in the cratch cover of one of my boats. That was expensive too but 10 years later and to my surprise, it is still holding up despite long term exposure to sun and frost. Called something like "Elephant Tape" or "Gorilla Tape". Was about ten quid for three metres IIRC.

fisher
Lemon Slice

Re: Repairing a marquee

Postby fisher » June 12th, 2021, 11:55 pm

We have a tent that a mouse chewed a few holes in when it was stored in our garage. I used Sail Repair tape and Gorilla tape on different areas as seemed appropriate. The repairs are still holding up a few years later.

Return to “Does anyone know?”