Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Voltex

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Voltex

Postby Bouleversee » June 16th, 2021, 1:22 pm

When I went on to TLF on my tablet this morning an ad. came up about a gadget called Voltex which it is claimed reduces electricity bills if plugged in close to the "breaker box" which I presume is the fuse box with another one as far as possible from the box if the house is large. There were lots of comments from people claiming to have saved lots of dosh including, bizarrely, some from people claiming to have installed several in each room. I have no idea what they cost and unfortunately the ad. seems to have disappeared for the moment but I think there was an offer included. I am always suspicious of such ads. and wondered if any Lemons knew anything about this product. It seems strange that I haven't heard about it before. I'll Google it as well.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Voltex

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 16th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Bouleversee wrote:When I went on to TLF on my tablet this morning an ad. came up about a gadget called Voltex which it is claimed reduces electricity bills if plugged in close to the "breaker box" which I presume is the fuse box with another one as far as possible from the box if the house is large. There were lots of comments from people claiming to have saved lots of dosh including, bizarrely, some from people claiming to have installed several in each room. I have no idea what they cost and unfortunately the ad. seems to have disappeared for the moment but I think there was an offer included. I am always suspicious of such ads. and wondered if any Lemons knew anything about this product. It seems strange that I haven't heard about it before. I'll Google it as well.

It's bogus:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6253539/energy-saving-scams

RC

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » June 16th, 2021, 1:33 pm

Bouleversee wrote:When I went on to TLF on my tablet this morning an ad. came up about a gadget called Voltex which it is claimed reduces electricity bills if plugged in close to the "breaker box" which I presume is the fuse box with another one as far as possible from the box if the house is large. There were lots of comments from people claiming to have saved lots of dosh including, bizarrely, some from people claiming to have installed several in each room. I have no idea what they cost and unfortunately the ad. seems to have disappeared for the moment but I think there was an offer included. I am always suspicious of such ads. and wondered if any Lemons knew anything about this product. It seems strange that I haven't heard about it before. I'll Google it as well.

I should have Googled first. See: https://www.bing.com/search?q=voltex+sc ... 01&PC=U531

It would appear that my instincts that it might be a scam were correct. Should TLF be carrying such ads., especially if they might be dangerous as is suggested with this one. I have also wondered about some of the ads. for really beautiful clothes offered at throw away prices. I was very tempted by some of them but again thought they might be too good to be true.

I must have another go at making a contribution to TLF (which I found problematical when I tried some time ago) and then I won't see the ads. I don't see them on my laptop anyway as I have an ad-blocker on it.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » June 16th, 2021, 1:41 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:

It's bogus:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6253539/energy-saving-scams

RC

Thanks, RC. You beat me to it. I expect most Lemons would smell the rat. However, no harm in having attention drawn to it on here.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » June 16th, 2021, 7:44 pm

If it worked, everyone would have been using one or it would have been made illegal by now.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 16th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Bouleversee wrote:It would appear that my instincts that it might be a scam were correct. Should TLF be carrying such ads.
No. The users should protect themselves from such rubbish by donating a tenner to the upkeep of TLF. ;)

Serious answer: I suspect Stu (what a fantastic laugh) and Clariman (top guy that I would trust with my life) have no knowledge about who Google chooses to advertise here. Just ignore it all Lorna darling. It's all a load of nonsense.

Chris.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 17th, 2021, 11:56 am

Slightly O/T, but I remember reading an interesting science feature in the ultra-conservative Neue Zürcher Zeitung, about how a new technological invention would keep anti-nuclear protesters happy while not inconveniencing "sensible" Swiss consumers who didn't hold such scruples. :|

The new scientific discovery, it said, was that electricity from nuclear sources had ions which rotated in a clockwise direction, as distinct from conventional generators where they went anti-clockwise. So now somebody had invented a filter which you plugged into your wall sockets, and which would ensure that none of the nasty n-power reached your appliances in future.

It caused quite a stir - not to mention, an avalanche of emails requesting the details of this marvellous product. Nobody seemed to have noticed that it was the first of April. The art of these things is to make them just credible enough to get past our own filters. :lol:

BJ

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » June 17th, 2021, 12:14 pm

csearle wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:It would appear that my instincts that it might be a scam were correct. Should TLF be carrying such ads.
No. The users should protect themselves from such rubbish by donating a tenner to the upkeep of TLF. ;)

Serious answer: I suspect Stu (what a fantastic laugh) and Clariman (top guy that I would trust with my life) have no knowledge about who Google chooses to advertise here. Just ignore it all Lorna darling. It's all a load of nonsense.

Chris.

More worrying is that Google (and social media sites) make huge magabucks by happily promoting scam sites and products. They have no shame as far as I'm concerned.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 17th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Redmires wrote:More worrying is that Google (and social media sites) make huge magabucks by happily promoting scam sites and products. They have no shame as far as I'm concerned.

In this case the social media site in question was Lemonfool. How was that different to Google or anyone else doing it? Online as in real life, the police can't be everywhere!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 17th, 2021, 5:50 pm

I've seen the same advert and posted to their website to say that it is a load of twaddle. The post gets deleted. :roll:

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » June 21st, 2021, 7:46 pm

csearle wrote:

Chris.

So I got around to making another attempt to donate £20 to TLF and all went well to start with; put in my bank details etc. but then was asked to put in my mobile no. which was auto-filled with my landline no. without the initial 0, which was impossible to insert. I do have a simple mobile, not a smart phone, but I never use it apart from setting up a new payee with my bank and it is permanently switched off otherwise unless I remember to take it with me in case of accidents/breakdowns on the rare occasions I leave the house, so not much point giving it to anyone. I was then asked to open a Pay Pal account which I don't want to do (I keep getting emails purporting to be from them which I think are probably scams) so again I failed to donate. If the procedure is simplified, I'm prepared to have another go.

As regards the adverts, I'm inclined to agree with Uncle E. I don't understand why any website would welcome adverts which were scams. Are you saying that website owners have no control over ads. placed on their sites? That seems crazy to me. Do the ads. all come via Google, then? How exactly does it work?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 21st, 2021, 8:52 pm

Bouleversee wrote:As regards the adverts, I'm inclined to agree with Uncle E. I don't understand why any website would welcome adverts which were scams. Are you saying that website owners have no control over ads. placed on their sites? That seems crazy to me. Do the ads. all come via Google, then? How exactly does it work?

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting Lemonfool welcome scam ads. I'm sure they don't, and neither do Google. The advertiser doesn't go around advertising that they're going to place a scam advert: rather they'll pose as normal advertisers of something legitimate.

And I expect Lemonfool outsources admin of its ads (i.e. uses a service). But that would be for its owners to clarify, if they so choose.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 21st, 2021, 9:15 pm

Bouleversee wrote: Do the ads. all come via Google, then? How exactly does it work?

The more you delve into the astoundingly complicated answers to these two questions, the more horrified you will become.

Or that's how it happened for me, a decade ago.

Installing DuckDuckGo (errr, google it) will be a start.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 21st, 2021, 9:29 pm

csearle wrote:

Chris.

A tenner - did you say a tenner - I've spoken to my solicitor, my therapist and my bank manager

Come on England :roll:

AiY

Return to “Does anyone know?”