Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Researching History of Ownership of Property

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Researching History of Ownership of Property

Postby bruncher » June 21st, 2021, 11:33 am

Does anyone know how the find the history of ownership of a particular house? There are some commercial services apparently, but I'm guessing they are getting the information from publicly available sources. My local Borough Archive is currently closed because of Covid.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Researching History of Ownership of Property

Postby DrFfybes » June 21st, 2021, 1:17 pm

What time frame are you looking at? Do you mean ownership, or occupation.

Ownership history for recent times would be the Land Registry, current owner is available online in the current register for £3, and I gather you can search previous years for a fee.

Further back in time would be a mix of electoral registers, census returns, land taxes, etc.

Paul

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 21st, 2021, 1:53 pm

How old is this house?

There may still be a bundle of "deeds" in existence which is, in essence, a string of ownership transfer deeds which tell you exactly what you are asking for. The transfer deeds will have stopped being produced at the point the land was registered with the LR and in many cases will simply have been thrown away, but if you have a mortgage (especially a long/old one) the deeds bundle may well still be with the lender and will be returned to you when the mortgage gets paid off.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » June 21st, 2021, 2:56 pm

DrFfybes wrote:What time frame are you looking at? Do you mean ownership, or occupation.

Ownership history for recent times would be the Land Registry, current owner is available online in the current register for £3, and I gather you can search previous years for a fee.

Further back in time would be a mix of electoral registers, census returns, land taxes, etc.

Paul

I have the current info, but would like the past 50 years. I have emailed the Land Registry as I can't see how far back their 'price pad data' search goes back.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » June 21st, 2021, 2:57 pm

Mike4 wrote:How old is this house?

There may still be a bundle of "deeds" in existence which is, in essence, a string of ownership transfer deeds which tell you exactly what you are asking for. The transfer deeds will have stopped being produced at the point the land was registered with the LR and in many cases will simply have been thrown away, but if you have a mortgage (especially a long/old one) the deeds bundle may well still be with the lender and will be returned to you when the mortgage gets paid off.

House was built around 1900. There is a mortgage currently, but only from six years ago.

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » June 21st, 2021, 3:44 pm

The 1901 and 1911 census will give you some information. Available on Ancestry although there is a small charge if you are not a member. Trial memberships are available. Then there is the 1939 register (same source). You can also see old phone books etc for later years.

Chris

Return to “Does anyone know?”