Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Mobile phone delivery scam

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
didds
Lemon Half

Re: Mobile phone delivery scam

Postby didds » July 15th, 2021, 6:25 pm

mc2fool wrote:Do you own mybusinessname.co.uk? If so then it's not clear to me how them sending from or using firstnamelastname@mybusinessname.co.uk helps them, as if it doesn't exist them emails to it will bounce.

though that depebnds if there is a catch-all configuration that takes any non existing account emails and sends them instead to another inbox rather than bounce them.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 17th, 2021, 10:49 am

Somebody is obviously trying to make a living using my details! Here's the latest. Received a letter from Barclaycard confirming that they have now set up my business as a merchant, with card readers to follow! Not set up by me at all. I don't take card payments and never have. Rang Barclaycard and got it cancelled. Checked my bank a/c for any new dd, but none.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 17th, 2021, 12:49 pm

didds wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Do you own mybusinessname.co.uk? If so then it's not clear to me how them sending from or using firstnamelastname@mybusinessname.co.uk helps them, as if it doesn't exist them emails to it will bounce.

though that depebnds if there is a catch-all configuration that takes any non existing account emails and sends them instead to another inbox rather than bounce them.

Yes, but then it would get through to bluedonkey and so would give the game away straight off, so it's still unclear to me how them sending from or using an address like that helps them. :?

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » July 17th, 2021, 1:25 pm

This is weird
I can only assume people are doing it for fun? These scams can't all be making money or getting services?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 17th, 2021, 2:02 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Somebody is obviously trying to make a living using my details! Here's the latest. Received a letter from Barclaycard confirming that they have now set up my business as a merchant, with card readers to follow! Not set up by me at all. I don't take card payments and never have. Rang Barclaycard and got it cancelled. Checked my bank a/c for any new dd, but none.

Your business? Do I take it you mean you run a (small) business, and the letter was addressed to it?

Did the letter disclose your bank details? Is it possible someone has set up a bank account in your business's name? You might want to follow that up, before your good name gets associated with bad things!

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 17th, 2021, 4:50 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bluedonkey wrote:Somebody is obviously trying to make a living using my details! Here's the latest. Received a letter from Barclaycard confirming that they have now set up my business as a merchant, with card readers to follow! Not set up by me at all. I don't take card payments and never have. Rang Barclaycard and got it cancelled. Checked my bank a/c for any new dd, but none.

Your business? Do I take it you mean you run a (small) business, and the letter was addressed to it?

Did the letter disclose your bank details? Is it possible someone has set up a bank account in your business's name? You might want to follow that up, before your good name gets associated with bad things!

Yes, that's right, I run a small business and the B'card letter was addressed to it. The letter quoted the sort code that the Barclaycard a/c would be linked to but it wasn't mine. I think it might be like the iphones scam, fraudster attempts to intercept the card readers when delivered.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 17th, 2021, 5:01 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Yes, that's right, I run a small business and the B'card letter was addressed to it. The letter quoted the sort code that the Barclaycard a/c would be linked to but it wasn't mine. I think it might be like the iphones scam, fraudster attempts to intercept the card readers when delivered.

My thought was, if someone has set up a bank account in your business's name, and is looking to accept payments into it. Then anyone making such payments is expecting something from (what they assume is) your business.

Sounds like they may already have an account in your name. The bank responsible for that account has been tricked, or else employs a fraudster in a responsible position. They should be told!

You might also want to alert customers. Though that still leaves the general public, who might be conned into paying for something entirely different to whatever it is your business does.

Return to “Does anyone know?”