Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Webpage maker

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Loup321
Lemon Slice

Webpage maker

Postby Loup321 » July 10th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry this is vague, but the small person is 10 years old, and this was about a year ago. At school, she used a website for making webpages, and wants to do it at home. So far, I've gathered that there is a split screen with HTML on the left, and on the right it's like PowerPoint where you "can put stuff and emojis and stuff like that". It sounds like Dreamweaver that I have used, but the licensing on that priced me out at work, so I can't imagine a school having that. Also, she reckons it was a webpage, because she searched for it on Google. I have tried searching for "online webpage maker" and got plenty of website makers for small businesses, but I don't think that's what we want. And she doesn't think it was a download.

Any ideas about what she is talking about, please?

Failing that, any recommendations? I write in HTML in Vim, but I think she's not quite there yet (I used Dreamweaver for about 5 years before I had the confidence to go it alone and still had the site I had created in Dreamweaver, so it's mostly just editing). I don't know the purpose of it, but it might just be so she can make animations in something other than PowerPoint or Scratch.

I tried asking the teacher, but he has moved on to a different role in the school, and has not replied in 2 weeks. If I catch him in the playground, I will try asking in person.

Thanks in advance

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Webpage maker

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 10th, 2021, 9:35 pm

Loup321 wrote:Failing that, any recommendations? I write in HTML in Vim, but I think she's not quite there yet

Whyever not?

A young mind has more capacity to learn new skills than an old one. And that's a straightforward skill: should be able to get started in a session, and be up to speed in a few days!

Alternatively use a sophisticated black-box such as wordpress.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » July 10th, 2021, 9:42 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Loup321 wrote:Failing that, any recommendations? I write in HTML in Vim, but I think she's not quite there yet

Whyever not?

A young mind has more capacity to learn new skills than an old one. And that's a straightforward skill: should be able to get started in a session, and be up to speed in a few days!

Erm, even if I say it was "my friend on the internet" that suggested she learn it, that's still "Mummy's idea" and Not A Good One. Unless you can also recommend good YouTube videos explaining it, my particular 10-year-old won't try. I'm happy to facilitate her learning new skills, but I won't be allowed to teach her! Plus I don't know how to put emojis in a webpage (I know I can learn and that's not a good excuse).

She likes GriffPatch's videos about Scratch coding (and is fast outstripping me, so I fully accept her capacity for learning!), which is pretty advanced in some videos, but he's not Mummy, so he is much better.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 11th, 2021, 1:02 pm

Loup321 wrote:Any ideas about what she is talking about, please?
Maybe Weebly? We used it for our volleyball website. Sounds similar.

Chris

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 11th, 2021, 3:35 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Whyever not?

Vim is FAR from a friendly editor. Though I have to say that it is somewhat better than VI.

Notepad++ is a far easier editor, while not being a specific HTML package.
You can also install plugin's that allow you to view the result of your HTML code.
https://www.ampercent.com/how-to-previe ... pad/16844/

Notepad++ is intended to run on Window's, but I understand that it works quite well using wine.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 11th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Loup321 wrote:Failing that, any recommendations? ....

There are two parts to this question, a suitable editor and somewhere to host the web site/pages.

For the first part, things like Notepad++ are good if you understand html, but for a WYSIWYG editor you could try BlueGriffon. It's free to download and use, but a licence (€75) is required to unlock its extended features (a user manual and EPUB functions). It also doesn't require installing, just download the .zip file, unpack it then run it from there.

....BlueGriffon. It's powered by Gecko, the Firefox rendering engine, so it does a great job of showing how work would be rendered in that standards-compliant browser.

This is the only true WYSIWYG editor that made this list. As such, it's more appealing for beginners and small business owners who want a visual way to work, as opposed to a code-focused interface.
https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-html ... ws-3471313

The second part is 'where to host your web pages?' Windows 10 includes 'Internet Information Services' which you'll find in 'Turn Windows features on or off'. This can give you a local webserver to play with.

nicster

Postby nicster » July 11th, 2021, 7:54 pm

There are many online webpage makers. Try searching for 'online website creator/builder'. Off the top of my head, there is wix.com, squarespace.com and weebly.com (that csearle mentioned), some may offer a free tier (generally you can see/build it, but not publish to the internet).

As Breelander says you can just write html pages in notepad/notepad++, you can just open these in chrome. IIS isnt actually needed unless there is some underlying code going on. Although you dont even need to do that, there are several sites that will run your html/js online - jsfiddle.net is one, bit lots of others.

nic

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 11th, 2021, 8:04 pm

nicster wrote:As Breelander says you can just write html pages in notepad/notepad++, you can just open these in chrome. IIS isnt actually needed unless there is some underlying code going on. Although you dont even need to do that, there are several sites that will run your html/js online - jsfiddle.net is one, bit lots of others.

HTML and JavaScript are interpreted client side (i.e. in the browser), so you don't need to use any server for those. What you need a server for is if you have server side scripts, like PHP and CGI scripts (PERL, etc).

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 11th, 2021, 8:38 pm

On the "hosting" side of things, can I suggest a Raspberry Pi.

I recently dug out my old Pi 3 B+. I installed a new OS (dietpi) on a USB stick. I then installed pi-hole (a blocking tool). As part of that it installed a web server, though you don't need pi-hole for that.

Pi-hole is bill, the web server, well my only interest in it is to see the blocking statistics (heavy Php). That said, most of the work has been done for you. Someone who uses Vim, probably would have no issues at all (though Vim is not installed by default on dietpi, you have to either install it or use nano).

If you want to host a web site where people can get to it, I suggest that you use one of the many companies that offer the service. SURE, you could host it on a Pi and set up your router to forward packets. I've done it in the past, but do you want the hastel of getting the security right? Far better to leave firewalls into your home network intact.

Ps, my son reports that he has not noticed that pi-hole is blocking 80% of his DNS requests. Clearly those requests were of no value to him, but were of value to the suppliers of the software he runs.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 11th, 2021, 8:46 pm

Breelander wrote:
For the first part, things like Notepad++ are good if you understand html, but for a WYSIWYG editor you could try BlueGriffon. It's free to download and use, but a licence (€75) is required to unlock its extended features (a user manual and EPUB functions). It also doesn't require installing, just download the .zip file, unpack it then run it from there.

Thanks that's really useful. Just last week I was looking for a web editor and that looks very suitable. I made my first web pages on Notepad but that must have been 25 years ago and I'd rather not have do it again that way.

RC

EverybodyKnows
2 Lemon pips

Postby EverybodyKnows » July 12th, 2021, 5:17 am

Not so much a web page maker but a great resource for learning html etc is w3schools.com.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » July 12th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far. We don't need any hosting at the moment. She's not got plans for making an actual website. In any case, I have hosting available to me through my work in the first instance.

Following Uncle's suggestions, I did have a think about Notepad (which is far easier than Vim, and she uses Windows at home). Save the file, and refresh the view in the browser, with the two running side-by-side. That might work for a bit (although I would have to manually transfer the files to the server if required). But I will also check the other suggestions when she gets in from school.

Thanks,

Lou

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » July 12th, 2021, 1:22 pm

EverybodyKnows wrote:Not so much a web page maker but a great resource for learning html etc is w3schools.com.

And this looks exactly like she described it. This might be just what we are looking for (I also noticed it does cascading style sheets, which are very helpful in my view).

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 12th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Loup321 wrote:Thanks for all the replies so far. We don't need any hosting at the moment. She's not got plans for making an actual website. In any case, I have hosting available to me through my work in the first instance.

Following Uncle's suggestions, I did have a think about Notepad (which is far easier than Vim, and she uses Windows at home). Save the file, and refresh the view in the browser, with the two running side-by-side. That might work for a bit (although I would have to manually transfer the files to the server if required).

What server? If it's just HTML, JavaScript and CSS there is no need for a server. Just keep all the related files in their own folder (tree) and drag and drop the main HTML file into a browser window, and then bookmark it.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » July 12th, 2021, 1:50 pm

mc2fool wrote:What server? If it's just HTML, JavaScript and CSS there is no need for a server. Just keep all the related files in their own folder (tree) and drag and drop the main HTML file into a browser window, and then bookmark it.

Just if she wanted to allow friends and grandparents to see what she has created. Mind you, it might be easier to just share screen in Zoom!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 12th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Loup321 wrote:Following Uncle's suggestions, I did have a think about Notepad (which is far easier than Vim,
Lou

I would have to take issue with that. I learned vi from a quick-reference card back in the 1980s, and was soon fluent in it. On Windows I encountered notepad, but it felt more like a toy: I couldn't find any way to make it into a helpful tool. Happily someone pointed me to pcz, a vi clone for windows.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 12th, 2021, 5:01 pm

EverybodyKnows wrote:Not so much a web page maker but a great resource for learning html etc is w3schools.com.

Um, they also have quite a history of pedalling material that is misleading, and sometimes downright wrong.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 12th, 2021, 5:08 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I would have to take issue with that. I learned vi from a quick-reference card back in the 1980s

Yes, likewise. You never lose it, I still feel I should be using h,j,k and l for moving around the screen rather than arrow keys.

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 13th, 2021, 6:15 am

swill453 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:I would have to take issue with that. I learned vi from a quick-reference card back in the 1980s

Yes, likewise. You never lose it, I still feel I should be using h,j,k and l for moving around the screen rather than arrow keys.

Scott.

OK vi guys
why is it Ndd but then dNw
huh?

:q!
- sd

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 13th, 2021, 7:20 am

servodude wrote:
swill453 wrote:

OK vi guys
why is it Ndd but then dNw
huh?

:q!

I reckon dd is programmed as a special, indivisible case, just because it seemed a neat thing to do.

:x

Scott.

Return to “Does anyone know?”