Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Webpage maker

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Loup321
Lemon Slice

Re: Webpage maker

Postby Loup321 » July 13th, 2021, 8:40 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Loup321 wrote:Following Uncle's suggestions, I did have a think about Notepad (which is far easier than Vim,
Lou

I would have to take issue with that. I learned vi from a quick-reference card back in the 1980s, and was soon fluent in it. On Windows I encountered notepad, but it felt more like a toy: I couldn't find any way to make it into a helpful tool. Happily someone pointed me to pcz, a vi clone for windows.

The small one has learnt in Word. Notepad is a small step. For example, when I say "Go up one line," I would use the arrow keys, and she uses the mouse. It's frustrating with my students each year trying to use the mouse to move around in Vi. I suppose I am a hybrid user, and use both mouse and arrow keys (I have to look up the letters to move in Vim). Maybe she would benefit from earlier introduction to Vim, perhaps as a small summer holiday project if it rains one day.

UncleEbenezer wrote:
EverybodyKnows wrote:Not so much a web page maker but a great resource for learning html etc is w3schools.com.

Um, they also have quite a history of pedalling material that is misleading, and sometimes downright wrong.

She had a go in w3schools last night, and was happy with it. She didn't work through their tutorials, but asked me when she wanted to do something. So I have not looked into what they teach, but as a sandbox for her to play in, it seems alright. It isn't the tool she used before - that one you edited the end result, and it wrote the HTML for you. So I suppose she is learning more now. Already she has learnt how to make a table, colour the cells and create a link.

As an aside, her grasp of colours was far quicker than mine, and she made a lovely table with questions about whether you are a banana with rainbow colour backgrounds. I told her she could easily find the colour codes if she looked them up in PowerPoint, and she told me that was cheating. She got her pastel rainbow colours by trial and error until they were what she wanted.

Thanks for all the thoughts on Vim vs Notepad. I'll get her to give Vim a go.

Lou

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 13th, 2021, 9:19 am

Loup321 wrote:Thanks for all the thoughts on Vim vs Notepad. I'll get her to give Vim a go.

Lou

Give Notepad++ a try. Like Vim it can use colours to highlight the syntax. Unlike Vim it has an on screen menu and responds to the mouse.

It's free.

Here is a review.
https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/reso ... h-features

The great advantages of Vim are that it works well when using ssh to edit things remotely and that you can keep your hands on the keyboard rather than reach for the mouse. The disadvantage is that it has a huge learning curve to do things that are intuitive in other code editors such as code folding etc.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 13th, 2021, 9:39 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
Loup321 wrote:Thanks for all the thoughts on Vim vs Notepad. I'll get her to give Vim a go.

Lou

Give Notepad++ a try. Like Vim it can use colours to highlight the syntax. Unlike Vim it has an on screen menu and responds to the mouse.

It's free.

Here is a review.
https://www.elegantthemes.com/blog/reso ... h-features

The great advantages of Vim are that it works well when using ssh to edit things remotely and that you can keep your hands on the keyboard rather than reach for the mouse. The disadvantage is that it has a huge learning curve to do things that are intuitive in other code editors such as code folding etc.

Notepad++ wins for it's intuitive column editing and easy extensibility
- there's probably a way to fix my one gripe; I can't unlearn the muscle memory for CTRL^D to be delete line - and it's the opposite in Notepad++

But it really is excellent
-sd

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 13th, 2021, 9:46 am

Another vote for Notepad++, used mainly for Python, but also bits of HTML/Javascript.

I use the portable version, and one thing I really like is that if I shutdown the PC, or it crashes before I save a file, the data is still there when I reopen Notepad++. Never lost any data.

--kiloran

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 13th, 2021, 10:04 am

Haven’t come across Notepad++, but the descriptions above remind me of a utility that I used to use (which I paid for) called MultiEdit. Having just searched for it I see there’s a commercial version (https://multieditsoftware.com/me2008-features), but that it can also be downloaded for free from Sourceforge (currently offline) or download.cnet.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 13th, 2021, 10:20 am

Couple of things which may be an egg-sucking tutorial:

many software suppliers have educational packages for free or cheap which can be accessed using a school e-mail account

My kids do nearly everything in Google Classroom, don't know if that includes a tool that does what you are looking for.

Dm

Return to “Does anyone know?”