Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Have you been to the Canaries recently?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Have you been to the Canaries recently?

Postby tonyreptiles » July 12th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Hi All,

I'm due to fly to Gran Canaria with my partner soon for work purposes. (My buddy there is away an needs me to look after his zoo. My partner is coming to help out with the non-crocodile-wrangling duties.)

I've trailed through the info on Gov.UK and I think I get it.

However, I'm wondering if anyone has hands-on experience of flying to the Canaries during the last few months and can give me a rundown of what to expect?

Were there any surprises?
Did you find it easy enough to satisfy border control?
What was the experience at the airport/customs/baggage handling like?
Is there anything else you'd recommend we knew?

Our trip to GC is quite important and we want to make sure we have all of our ducks in a row.

TIA
TR

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Have you been to the Canaries recently?

Postby didds » July 12th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Presumably gov.uk can explain what to expect when you retrun.

the Spanish government website/consultae etc would presumably be able to explain chapter and verse for arrival?

eg Do "we" (ie UKers, Brit passworts) need work visas yet to work in Spain - is that pertinent to you? Ditto health insurance?

Good luck - in short id be contacting the spanish consulate/embassy etc

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 12th, 2021, 7:05 pm

tonyreptiles wrote:
Our trip to GC is quite important and we want to make sure we have all of our ducks in a row.

Will you be feeding them to the reptiles?

Dod

tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Postby tonyreptiles » July 12th, 2021, 7:48 pm

didds wrote:Presumably gov.uk can explain what to expect when you retrun.

the Spanish government website/consultae etc would presumably be able to explain chapter and verse for arrival?

eg Do "we" (ie UKers, Brit passworts) need work visas yet to work in Spain - is that pertinent to you? Ditto health insurance?

Good luck - in short id be contacting the spanish consulate/embassy etc

Hi Didds,

the UK and Spanish websites are about as clear as you'd expect them to be, and I think I have it covered in that respect. But it's more the airport experience I'm looking for clues on. I know from experience that what's deemed OK officially doesn't always dictate what happens on the ground.

It would be useful to hear from someone who has been there and done it what the process is like in real life.

Cheers
TR

tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Postby tonyreptiles » July 12th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Dod101 wrote:
tonyreptiles wrote:

Will you be feeding them to the reptiles?

Dod

Sayin' nowt. :roll:

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 12th, 2021, 8:58 pm

You'll need a Work Visa issued by the Spanish consulate in the UK.

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » July 13th, 2021, 5:06 am

richlist wrote:You'll need a Work Visa issued by the Spanish consulate in the UK.

That will depend on whether the OP is a citizen of an EU country or has Spanish residency (residencia) protecting his rights to live and work in Spain under the Withdrawal Agreement.

If neither applies then, strictly, he will need a "Lucrative" Visa which needs to be applied for in his home country. His application will need to be sponsored by the employer who also needs to demonstrate that no local or EU citizen is available who can do the job.

The starting point in understanding what now applies is probably this page of gob.es https://extranjeros.inclusion.gob.es/es ... index.html
I doubt that getting hold of a visa will be a quick process - Spanish bureaucracy has to be experienced to be believed.

Without a visa, the duration of any trip will be governed by the Schengen rules - maximum of 90 days in the Schengen zone in any 180 day period. Border control at the airports, including here in the Canaries are stamping/electronically scanning passports in and out to enforce this.

Whilst people are still flying under the radar, it is becoming more difficult to do so. I guess the OP and his buddy will make their own judgements about the risks involved but I would guess that if anything untoward happened whilst the OP was in charge and didn't have the required authorizations to work and be in charge of a zoo, the consequences would be fairly serious. I would imagine any insurance cover would immediately be null and void. Fines for infractions of rules in Spain can be pretty eye-watering.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 13th, 2021, 10:09 am

Also: make sure that any professional qualification you may be relying on is recognised in Spain post Brexit. The services elements of the TCA are pretty minimalist, as eg creative artists have already found.

DM

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 13th, 2021, 2:39 pm

tonyreptiles wrote:Hi All,

I'm due to fly to Gran Canaria with my partner soon for work purposes. (My buddy there is away an needs me to look after his zoo. My partner is coming to help out with the non-crocodile-wrangling duties.)

I've trailed through the info on Gov.UK and I think I get it.

However, I'm wondering if anyone has hands-on experience of flying to the Canaries during the last few months and can give me a rundown of what to expect?

Were there any surprises?
Did you find it easy enough to satisfy border control?
What was the experience at the airport/customs/baggage handling like?
Is there anything else you'd recommend we knew?

TIA
TR

We flew from Milan to Tenerife for our wedding anniversary a few weeks ago. You have to complete the online Locator form and have a Covid test before you go. However, since the rules seem to change every bloody millisecond, you should check all this very carefully. But the links provided by Easyjet were very straightforward. Be very careful to check if it's 48 hours or 72 hours before arriving! Fortunately most airports have a testing lab next to check-in and it only takes 15 minutes to get your certificate.

Arriving in Tenerife was at least 10x more pleasant than arriving in that cesspit known as Luton airport, and the people spoke better English and were friendlier!! Some checks are done prior to boarding - locator form and Covid test. On arrival, people were being stopped at random for their Covid tests, but apart from that, everything was as normal.

I have no intention of going for work, but in Tenerife, there were agencies offering their services for Brits to get residence, work etc.

Lucky you! ;)

Steve

tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Postby tonyreptiles » July 14th, 2021, 10:35 am

stevensfo wrote:Arriving in Tenerife was at least 10x more pleasant than arriving in that cesspit known as Luton airport, and the people spoke better English and were friendlier!! Some checks are done prior to boarding - locator form and Covid test. On arrival, people were being stopped at random for their Covid tests, but apart from that, everything was as normal.

Steve
That's interesting to know. Thanks Steve.

How were the queues at check-in, baggage and passport etc?
Am I right in thinking to allow some extra time for each - and if so, how much?

Thanks again
TR

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 14th, 2021, 2:08 pm

tonyreptiles wrote:That's interesting to know. Thanks Steve.

How were the queues at check-in, baggage and passport etc?
Am I right in thinking to allow some extra time for each - and if so, how much?

Thanks again
TR
If you're flying from the UK, yes, you have to allow more time for passport control. I was in the Schengen area, so no problems there. Check-in varies a lot, just as it always did, as well as collecting baggage. I didn't notice any change there. The size of the airport is important as well. At Malpensa T1, it took me ages to walk to the check-in, then the gates. Tenerife airport is much smaller.

The good thing about checking in to leave luggage is that your documents are checked there and your boarding pass or passport is marked so you pass through the departure gate faster. You also find out about any changes or documents that you may have forgotten. About 4 months ago, I was returning from Luton to Milan and discovered at check-in that the Covid test certificate had to be 48 hours before, not 72 hours! I was very lucky, since there was a testing lab one minute away, but a lot of poor sods with only hand luggage didn't find out till they were at the gate. A lot tears and chaos!

Ever since then, I always arrive minimum 2 hours before the flight.

Steve

tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Postby tonyreptiles » July 15th, 2021, 11:15 am

That's really helpful - thanks Steve.

Reassuring to know we have everything in hand.

Cheers
TYR

Return to “Does anyone know?”