Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

how long from digging the street to fibre in the home

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: how long from digging the street to fibre in the home

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 7th, 2022, 5:16 pm

Ah... in my job I have had many dealings with fibre (and copper) transmission to and from sites

When will site x be on air?
We're waiting on transmission
What's the hold up?
Mumble...wayleaves..access...other services blocking duct...tree roots..agressive sheep in field...mumble
Estimate ?
Erm (sound of coin being tossed) errm six weeks ??

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 7th, 2022, 6:17 pm

The chap from Virgin Media did say it's quicker to use overhead lines, looked up and down the road then said but you don't have any telegraph poles.

It's not looking like I'm going to get my flooring anytime soon. Maybe I need to build my own conduit route into the house

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 7th, 2022, 6:23 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Yesterday a chap from Virgin Media knocked on the door.

Bargepole. Take any ISP over Virgin! It's fine when it works, but you're in serious Kafka-land when it fails.

Besides, I thought Virgin operated over their own cable, rather than the fibre used by Openreach and most ISPs?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 7th, 2022, 8:25 pm

newlyretired wrote:
Watis wrote:Also, DAK whether the fibre will be routed to the property overhead, alongside the existing phone cable, or must it be underground?

If the existing phone cable is overhead, then the fibre will almost certainly come in overhead

newlyretired
You say that but in the last place I lived the BT line came in overhead but Virgin used a kind of giant Pizza-wheel to bring the fibre in across the lawn into my (rental) house. C.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 8th, 2022, 7:33 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:Yesterday a chap from Virgin Media knocked on the door.

Bargepole. Take any ISP over Virgin! It's fine when it works, but you're in serious Kafka-land when it fails.

Besides, I thought Virgin operated over their own cable, rather than the fibre used by Openreach and most ISPs?

Virgin wouldn't be my first choice and I'm disappointed that one incoming cable won't suffice. We could end up with twenty companies digging up the road and wanting to go under the floor.

It might be worth my while to learn how to install Amtico flooring myself and cut access holes in the floor boards.

It's not efficient if every company digs up my road but then some people, normally in the sticks, get nowt

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 8th, 2022, 10:08 am

As someone living in the sticks may I say we aren't doing too bad.

When I moved here we didn't get a mobile phone signal and the internet was sub 1 Mb. About 2 years ago we got superfast and mobile over the internet and everything is pretty good. 37mb is ample for our needs and we have just been given 66Mb for less money than before.

Once I walk out my door I still can't get a mobile signal, the towns have it obviously but everywhere else in a 15 mile radius is either a not spot or a maybe a bit on a good day spot.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 8th, 2022, 10:58 am

I live in London and don't get a mobile signal
some years ago a nimby neighbour led a campiagn against a mast going up in our area and a few months later she was first to complain that she couldn't get a mobile signal :roll:
My ISP is Plusnet and as with sg31 I got fibre extra for less than fibre

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 8th, 2022, 12:35 pm

pje16 wrote:I live in London and don't get a mobile signal

Crikey. Do you live in a Faraday Cage?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 8th, 2022, 12:56 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
pje16 wrote:I live in London and don't get a mobile signal

Crikey. Do you live in a Faraday Cage?
Yes, this is his living room...Imagehttps://assets.londonist.com/uploads/2021/08/i875/the_faraday_room_1.jpg

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 9th, 2022, 9:51 am

sg31 wrote:As someone living in the sticks may I say we aren't doing too bad.

When I moved here we didn't get a mobile phone signal and the internet was sub 1 Mb. About 2 years ago we got superfast and mobile over the internet and everything is pretty good. 37mb is ample for our needs and we have just been given 66Mb for less money than before.

Once I walk out my door I still can't get a mobile signal, the towns have it obviously but everywhere else in a 15 mile radius is either a not spot or a maybe a bit on a good day spot.

I was talking Internet not mobile.

Having lived in the sticks too, we have had some extremes from no Internet eventually getting a microwave system that was expensive, worked in series and would disconnect if the sheep stood in the wrong part of the field or a tree grew too fast. Did get to know the local farmers because as it worked in series you had to ring back and chase to where someone had Internet and follow the signal to the next point.

Another location just managed to get dial up speeds. There was hope of a syndicate banding together to bring in a system but failed. A satellite system worked but again expensive.

Still I lived in Doha when a ships anchor cut the main Internet cable and the satellite was invaluable.

Currently I have reasonable speeds but was expecting much faster but that appears to be improving at a much slower rate. I can't understand why they would dig the road but not allow you to become a customer over a year later. Maybe its some government contract that pays them to get it into the road but it doesn't matter if its actually use able.

The contractor is installing 6 inch plastic conduit pipes, at this rate we are goung to need bigger paths.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 11th, 2022, 10:00 am

I got a call from Virgin last night. Saying that they had been given my name about their FTTP. Unfortunately as they were just starting to dig the street it would be approx 4 to 6 weeks before they could offer me a package.

So much better timescales than the last lot who still dont have a forecast from over a year ago.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 8th, 2022, 11:58 am

So more movement, well sort of. A chap from Vodafone knocked on the door to inform me that they would be starting works shortly. He even offered some free ice creams from the van parked outside.

So lots of maybe services but still not connected.

Can I take the first one or will each have to bring their own cabling into the house. I want to install some flooring and was waiting until this was done as it will have to go under the house. Ive put carpet down for now but was hoping it might only be temporary

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » March 8th, 2022, 1:13 pm

Watis wrote:An Openreach chap was inspecting the telegraph pole outside Watis Towers a few months ago. I asked him whether we were about to get fibre to the property - he said that he didn't know, he was there to assess the pole for decay.

Since then, a coil of blue rope has appeared at the base of the pole, along with others up and down the road. Google suggests this is used to pull the fibre along the conduit between posts. So, DAK how long it typically takes to get fibre once the rope has appeared?

Also, DAK whether the fibre will be routed to the property overhead, alongside the existing phone cable, or must it be underground?

TIA,

Watis

I live in the middle of no where. There is a pole on the opposite side of the road from my house. My copper phone line came overhead from there to my house. I complained about something else to BT and they said they could do my fibre for free as 'compensation'. Openreach came and fitted it by removing the old wire, attaching a bracket on the house wall and stringing a supporting wire across to the pole. They then ran the fibre with an attached copper* wire to the bracket, around my sarking and down to the front room all on the outside of the house. Hole drilled through, big white box inside - sorted.

i'm supposed to get 500Mb/s, but only get 100-200 but still pretty good

* copper was to run the landline - now superfluous as I have been moved to Voip so the phone is plugged into the router.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » April 20th, 2022, 12:51 pm

A positive update!

I can get connected apparently says an email. The link wont open cos I have a VPN! Tried online but I need to ring apparently and its extremely busy. Got through within a minute, another 20 or so to give details and its ordered for next week.

My bill was going up this month anyway, so for a few dollars more I might be able to watch films quicker. Hopefully they will put the box under the stairs with all the other equipment and not just by the front door.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 20th, 2022, 1:10 pm

Gerry557 wrote:My bill was going up this month anyway, so for a few dollars more I might be able to watch films quicker.

What's wrong with watching them at normal speed?

Paul

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 20th, 2022, 1:12 pm

Gerry557 wrote:A positive update!

I can get connected apparently says an email. The link wont open cos I have a VPN! Tried online but I need to ring apparently and its extremely busy. Got through within a minute, another 20 or so to give details and its ordered for next week.

My bill was going up this month anyway, so for a few dollars more I might be able to watch films quicker. Hopefully they will put the box under the stairs with all the other equipment and not just by the front door.

Good news. Just a word of warning, if the OpenReach bods are anything like the ones that I had, they will fit it in the easiest way for them. I had to stop them half-way through the job when they stuck an attachment for a catenary wire on the fascia board under the roof, this protrudes nearly as foot out from the wall, they were proposing to add another on the lower part of the wall, leaving a big diagonal of catenary wire from fascia to ground level. It would have looked awful and I'm not the fussy type :) Then they drilled a hole randomly through the door frame...

So before they start work make sure you are happy with exactly how they are going to proceed.

RC

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » April 20th, 2022, 2:14 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:My bill was going up this month anyway, so for a few dollars more I might be able to watch films quicker.

What's wrong with watching them at normal speed?

Paul

I like to fast forward the boring bits ! I shudda said, A few dollars more plus an additional 3.9% on top of the CPI rate

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » May 2nd, 2022, 6:42 pm

Virgin didn't get back to me after saying they would and were going live the day after Vodafone and I should cancel.

The fibre was installed but not in the location I wanted. They wanted to run from the road straight across my lawn to the hall. I wanted everything under the stairs so the hall was kept clear.

They wouldn't install under the floor boards even though I'd do all the work. They did go around the edge of the lawn. I was scared I might cause damage when I aerated. Fortunately the box is behind a piece of furniture in the hall but the router is sat on top.

I now need to connect this to my home network. I slaved in a cable just to get it working to the switch under the stairs. First impressions are it's slow. Traced this to my slave cable which was 100mb so swapped to a Gb cable and things improved. So now I need to install cable from the stairs to the hall. The WiFi coverage is poor. I suppose the router is now in an Edge. The supplied booster helps but I've had to request a second one as I don't get full coverage.

I will wait till this arrives. I'm not sure of the specs of the superfi booster. It implies its a WiFi 6 mesh connected to a WiFi 5 router but then also talks of access point. Hopefully connecting one wired into the network for backhaul will solve the coverage. I suppose I could get out my old BT mini mesh system. It had the coverage but the speed might be slow these days compared to the superfi booster which you would expect to be able to deal with Gig Internet speeds pro rata.

john10001
2 Lemon pips

Postby john10001 » May 16th, 2022, 11:15 am

If it is Virgin Media all I can say is good luck!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » May 16th, 2022, 11:54 am

I went with Vodafone not Virgin. There doesn't seem to be many happy customers with Virgin. Maybe first timers but then most are not happy after that period ends. They were a week late getting connected so decided to stick with Vodafone. They also worked out more expensive and the sales person didnt seem to understand why I wouldnt pay more to go with them, which I found a little strange.

In a further update the extra booster didnt solve the coverage issues. I got the older BT mini mesh system out as I have x6 of them. Coverage is great but speed seems to be capped around 270Mbps. I dont think I will bother trying to get a further vodafone booster just yet.

Still cant understand why it took so long from digging the road to being able to use it.

Return to “Does anyone know?”