Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Following on from the passport thread...

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Following on from the passport thread...

Postby csearle » November 11th, 2021, 8:50 pm

Gilesyb27 wrote:Can confirm that on checking in on a recent flight to spain, there was a sobbing couple ahead of us being denied boarding as his passport was "valid until" Feb 2022, but had been issued just over 10 years ago. The nice lady at the desk assured them she'd get a manager to double check for them but this seemed more a tactic to get them out of the que, she seemed very certain they werent going anywhere..... :cry:
I feel their pain. At the same time I can't help feeling that only the most hidden away of hermits could have missed that the UK has left the European Union and, obviously, the downside of not being one European country is that we are a now a "third" country, with all the independence that brings with it, and with all the to-be-expected changes to passport requirements. C.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » November 12th, 2021, 9:21 am

csearle wrote:
Gilesyb27 wrote:Can confirm that on checking in on a recent flight to spain, there was a sobbing couple ahead of us being denied boarding as his passport was "valid until" Feb 2022, but had been issued just over 10 years ago. The nice lady at the desk assured them she'd get a manager to double check for them but this seemed more a tactic to get them out of the que, she seemed very certain they werent going anywhere..... :cry:
I feel their pain. At the same time I can't help feeling that only the most hidden away of hermits could have missed that the UK has left the European Union and, obviously, the downside of not being one European country is that we are a now a "third" country, with all the independence that brings with it, and with all the to-be-expected changes to passport requirements. C.

Well, yes, but the rules are now pretty complex. I often do regular journeys to Germany and the US. My passport is 10 years old in mid Jan 22 but is valid to mid July 22. For the US I don't need any validity at all beyond the end of my trip in theory, but I do need an ESTA, for which I need 6 months validity. So I can travel to the US in early January. For Germany, I need 90 days validity not to the expiry of my passport but to the tenth anniversary of its issue. Fortunately my recent trip to Germany was cancelled which is just as well because it was only last week that I found out that Mid October was the last time I could have flown.

Passport service is currently advising 6 weeks turnaround for the standard online service.

DM

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 12th, 2021, 10:07 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:Passport service is currently advising 6 weeks turnaround for the standard online service.

They do say that but when I renewed in May, I received the new passport within about 2 weeks. Other people have told me something similar.

I believe that the 6 weeks estimate is being very cautious and perhaps allowing for people whose application is more complex e.g. first time appliers.

I renewed with 7 months left on my old passport. The new one is very fancy. Although when coming into Heathrow last week, the e-gates could not scan it (or me) properly and so I had to be processed manually, which was irksome. Hopefully a one-off.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 12th, 2021, 12:00 pm

Lootman wrote:The new one is very fancy. Although when coming into Heathrow last week, the e-gates could not scan it (or me) properly and so I had to be processed manually,

I have yet to see a "new" passport, but you've just confirmed it's a Classic! :lol:

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 12th, 2021, 12:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:The new one is very fancy. Although when coming into Heathrow last week, the e-gates could not scan it (or me) properly and so I had to be processed manually,

I have yet to see a "new" passport, but you've just confirmed it's a Classic! :lol:

All e-gates were 'out-of-order' a few weeks ago at Stansted and also at Malpensa in Italy a few days ago. No idea what's going on.

Re. the sobbing couple, although it's very sad, the lady at security would have known that had she used her discretion and kindness to let them through, they might not be so lucky on their return.

That happened to us many years ago, before Schengen, when driving close to the Spanish border, we asked if we could pop over for the afternoon to visit a few villages. We didn't have any passports with us. The border guard laughed and said that he had no problem with it, but 'he' may not be on duty when we returned. We took the hint and stayed on the French side. ;)

Steve

Return to “Does anyone know?”