Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Funerals for the indigent

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Lootman
The full Lemon

Funerals for the indigent

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2021, 11:43 pm

The father of a friend of one of my kids just died. Neither he nor his surviving wife has any funds or assets, and the remaining family are of course worried about the cost of any funeral.

I am considering helping them out. But I recall, albeit from decades ago, that local authorities will cover the cost of a basic funeral for indigent people. If only because they do not want corpses piling up wherever and being a public health risk.

The family told me that such provisions no longer exist. DAK if this is true?

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: Funerals for the indigent

Postby gryffron » September 9th, 2021, 11:51 pm

Yeah but, no but.

The council have ultimate responsibility, but the family will get virtually no choice or support.

https://www.funeralguide.co.uk/help-res ... -explained
Under the terms of the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984, it is the council’s duty to take care of the final disposition – the cremation or burial – of people who die, or are found dead within their boundary, if no-one else will take responsibility.

More advice in the link.

Gryff
Last edited by gryffron on September 9th, 2021, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » September 9th, 2021, 11:52 pm

A Google for "Manchester city council indigent funerals" gave me:
https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/2 ... l_advice/5

Try a similar search for the appropriate local council...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 10th, 2021, 12:30 am

I assume no military connection or service? If there are no relatives found, the local authority will arrange (very reluctantly) a 'pauper's funeral'.

You mean that the 'remaining family' cannot find the funds or will not find them?

Dod

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » September 10th, 2021, 11:36 am

One point that has been missed in this dicussion is that it depends where the deceased died.

If they died in hospital, it is the hospital that pays for the burial. If they died elsewhere the Local Authority is responsible. They will both make extensive enquires reguarding the financial circumstances of the deceased.

I assume somebody has looked into wether the wife could could be eligible for Breavement Support Payment, which could be enough to pay for a basic funeral.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 10th, 2021, 4:35 pm

also ISTR that such "paupers funerals" are eg done at a very quiet, non open time at a crematorium eg 0600 (dont think they inter any longer?) so if the family were hoping to attend a funeral at the state's expanse thay may be sadly mistaken.

I am more than happy to be wrong :-)

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 10th, 2021, 5:57 pm

didds wrote:also ISTR that such "paupers funerals" are eg done at a very quiet, non open time at a crematorium eg 0600 (dont think they inter any longer?) so if the family were hoping to attend a funeral at the state's expanse thay may be sadly mistaken.

I think it depends a lot on the local council. Some, like the Manchester example quoted above, will let you do your own thing within their budget. Others may have a deal with single providers, standardised services, the local crem, etc, and may provide very little choice for the family.

All councils are required to provide something. But may not provide something the family want.

Gryff

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » September 10th, 2021, 5:58 pm

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/famil ... -a-funeral

I encountered one funeral a while ago where a Justgiving page was set up to help fund it.

https://www.justgiving.com/discover/in-memory

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 11th, 2021, 10:21 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:One point that has been missed in this dicussion is that it depends where the deceased died.

If they died in hospital, it is the hospital that pays for the burial. If they died elsewhere the Local Authority is responsible. They will both make extensive enquires reguarding the financial circumstances of the deceased.

I'm really surprised to hear this. My father was a hospital doctor and my understanding was the council had to pay in this situation.

Return to “Does anyone know?”