Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Details of Wise money transfers

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
XFool
The full Lemon

Details of Wise money transfers

Postby XFool » September 14th, 2021, 12:29 pm

Does anyone here who has a Wise account know the details of how money transfers works?

Assuming you want to transfer cash from a bank card/credit account to a Wise account what would be needed, beyond the card number? Do Wise need the card SVC number etc?

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Re: Details of Wise money transfers

Postby SteMiS » September 14th, 2021, 1:22 pm

XFool wrote:Does anyone here who has a Wise account know the details of how money transfers works?

Assuming you want to transfer cash from a bank card/credit account to a Wise account what would be needed, beyond the card number? Do Wise need the card SVC number etc?

I'm not sure what you mean. I use Wise to transfer Euros from my UK sterling bank account (via debit card) to the bank account of my Spanish tutor in Spain. All Wise need is my debit card number and CVV number on the back. Is that what you mean?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 14th, 2021, 1:45 pm

...Yes. (Assuming they do require the CVV number)

I gather the CVV number is computed (secretly) from the card details rather than being random.

https://www.moneytap.com/blog/what-is-cvv-number/

Anyone know if the CVV number is available via the on card chip? (e.g. via Card Readers)

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » September 14th, 2021, 2:06 pm

I used a suppliers IBAN to transfer from my bank account using Wise. Worked almost instantly. I was given the GBP amount before confirming. C.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 13th, 2021, 6:05 pm

OK Barclaycard refunded the false cash transfer payment and associated transaction charge on my account. I'm none the wiser (see what I did there?), was it a fraud or a technical mistake? Barclaycard haven't told me - but then I haven't asked them.

If a fraud, £20 sounds a puzzlingly small amount. Then again I do make ad hoc £20 payments (not cash, obviously) to my mobile phone service provider, so could it have been some kind of technical error?

I have never seen this happen before.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 13th, 2021, 7:13 pm

XFool wrote:OK Barclaycard refunded the false cash transfer payment and associated transaction charge on my account. I'm none the wiser (see what I did there?), was it a fraud or a technical mistake? Barclaycard haven't told me - but then I haven't asked them.

If a fraud, £20 sounds a puzzlingly small amount. Then again I do make ad hoc £20 payments (not cash, obviously) to my mobile phone service provider, so could it have been some kind of technical error?

I have never seen this happen before.

Moderator Message:
I'm a bit confused. You asked a DAK about the mechanics of a Wise transfer. Now you're talking about a "false .. payment". Have you had a problem with paying Wise from Barclays perhaps? (If so, perhaps this isn't a DAK after all - let me know and I'll move it to Bank Accounts etc

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 13th, 2021, 7:54 pm

...I had a false (i.e. fraudulent or computer error) cash transfer from my Barclaycard to a Wise account.

I was originally trying to find out what would be necessary/and how available to do this.

Presumably Barclaycard have more information, so a subsidiary question could be: "Would they tell me if I asked them?"

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » November 14th, 2021, 8:10 am

XFool wrote:...I had a false (i.e. fraudulent or computer error) cash transfer from my Barclaycard to a Wise account.

I was originally trying to find out what would be necessary/and how available to do this.

Presumably Barclaycard have more information, so a subsidiary question could be: "Would they tell me if I asked them?"

I use Wise to move my USD stock grants to the UK and convert them to GBP. It was a total PITA to configure, but saves money and is faster than conventional means.

I think if you need BC to trace this payment all you will need beyond POI is the *exact* value of the transaction then they should be able to trace it.

Matt

Return to “Does anyone know?”