Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Art Collectors Magazine

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
CrazyManMichael

Art Collectors Magazine

Postby CrazyManMichael » September 23rd, 2021, 2:09 pm

Hi, I recently bought a couple of pieces of art and would like to get into art collecting as a way to invest a small part of my savings. The benefits being that if I buy works that I like then at least I have something I can enjoy even if the value goes down.

DAK if there is a reputable art collectors magazine available in the UK or any other resource I could use?

CrazyManMichael

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Art Collectors Magazine

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 23rd, 2021, 4:41 pm

Are there not local artists' circles in your area? Surely that would be a good place to ask, as well as to get a "feel" for the scene.

Or try your auction house. The big-name nationals if your budget merits it; otherwise your local auctioneers. Or both. They'll deal with artworks when they hit the market. They'll know the subject, and many of them write articles (e.g. a blog) on it from time to time.

Always assuming the post isn't a hook for posting a disguised advert.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Art Collectors Magazine

Postby stevensfo » September 24th, 2021, 9:06 am

CrazyManMichael wrote:Hi, I recently bought a couple of pieces of art and would like to get into art collecting as a way to invest a small part of my savings. The benefits being that if I buy works that I like then at least I have something I can enjoy even if the value goes down.

DAK if there is a reputable art collectors magazine available in the UK or any other resource I could use?

CrazyManMichael

I don't know of any magazines, but there is a very good website that gives access to loads of auctions:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues

Many years ago, I collected silver decanter labels and used the site quite frequently. Simply by searching the internet and reading about the items, I learned a hell of a lot. There is a huge section for fine art, so you could do the same.

N.B. The commissions charged vary from auction to auction and can become eye-wateringly painful, especially when added to postage. However, as you learn more, you can perhaps visit local auctions and keep costs down.

Steve

Return to “Does anyone know?”