Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Is this a scam?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
onthemove
Lemon Slice

Is this a scam?

Postby onthemove » September 23rd, 2021, 10:36 pm

Just received a text claiming to be from FedEx saying parcel is due for delivery by 27/9 and to click link to reschedule.

Thing is, I'm not expecting any package - I've nothing on order from anyone, and not expecting anyone to be sending me anything, by any means, let alone FedEx.

Thing is, I just typed the URL (manually into my laptop from what is visible - seeing it is a http://www.fedex.com domain - not clicking it - and checking the "www.fedex.com" domain on its own without the tracking info first to check the domain is legit) and ...

- the website seems to recogise the parcel number in the URL
- the website even gives the last few digits of my mobile number which isn't in the URL, so the website seems to know my mobile number from the tracking ID in the URL in the text mesage I received
- the website domain is "www.fedex.com"
- the website is "https" and the security certificate does indeed indicate "Fedex, Collierville, Tennessee, US"

With working from home, my employer has previously (once) sent something (pointless and at disproportionate expense) from the US to my home address, though on that occasion I had been given some inkling I might receive something - though don't recall whether they gave the courier my phone number on that occasion.

This time, I've not heard any suggestion they might be sending things to staff at this time.

I'm aware there are apparently parcel delivery text scams...

I don't plan to do anything more and wait and see if anything turns up or not.

I suppose my question is - are the scammers able to create a URL with tracking number that is https and the security certificate is reported as FedEx?

From what I can see, everything looks legit, apart from me not expecting any parcel delivery.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Is this a scam?

Postby Mike4 » September 24th, 2021, 12:51 am

onthemove wrote:Just received a text claiming to be from FedEx saying parcel is due for delivery by 27/9 and to click link to reschedule.

Thing is, I'm not expecting any package - I've nothing on order from anyone, and not expecting anyone to be sending me anything, by any means, let alone FedEx.

The thing is, firms like Fedex don't ask for instructions from the recipient (other than via their app), they take instructions regarding delivery from their customer, the sender.

So notwithstanding all the checking of URLs etc you've done, I'm inclined to still say it is a scam of some sort.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 24th, 2021, 7:22 am

onthemove wrote:Thing is, I'm not expecting any package - I've nothing on order from anyone, and not expecting anyone to be sending me anything, by any means, let alone FedEx.

Haven't heard of this particular one though I have had other similar ones
The BIG clue is that you are no expecting anything
more about it here
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2020/ ... eally-scam
basically the linked article is lots of commom sense

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 24th, 2021, 8:59 am

You've checked thoroughly. Sounds to me all legit, in the sense that there's a genuine delivery and it's genuinely with fedex. For an imposter to have faked the domain and the security certificate would imply a heist that would be all over the news: basically they'd need to convince a Certificate Authority that they were fedex, and got them to issue a certificate to the scammer. Or it's a fedex employee with a high degree of trust perpetrating something.

In either case they've got your number, though you haven't said whether there's evidence (other than being fedex) they know your name and/or address.

Could it be something silly but innocent? Once upon a time I received an unexpected physical wallet in the post. It was H-L, who had entered me automatically[1] in a prize draw with a couple of big headline-grabbing prizes, and a much larger number of worthless "also-ran" prizes.

[1] I guess based on paying in a qualifying amount within a qualifying period - maybe an end-of-tax-year promotion.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 24th, 2021, 9:14 am

Mike4 wrote:The thing is, firms like Fedex don't ask for instructions from the recipient (other than via their app), they take instructions regarding delivery from their customer, the sender.

While they do not ask for delivery instructions (like "Opposite the Rose and Crown, leave with the neighbour with the plastic giraffe if I am out), they do often send a delivery day or timeslot and provide a link to reschedule.

I would have probably Googled "Fedex tracking" and copied and pasted the tracking number. The URL does seem genuine and I reckon that there is a real package on its way.

Julian F. G. W.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » September 24th, 2021, 9:19 am

onthemove wrote:Just received a text claiming to be from FedEx saying parcel is due for delivery by 27/9 and to click link to reschedule.

With working from home, my employer has previously (once) sent something (pointless and at disproportionate expense) from the US to my home address, though on that occasion I had been given some inkling I might receive something - though don't recall whether they gave the courier my phone number on that occasion.
From what I can see, everything looks legit, apart from me not expecting any parcel delivery.

At work, we receive quite a lot from the USA but we are always told in advance. The person sending the parcel always sends us the tracking number.

It sounds legit, but it's rude and unprofessional to send a package without informing the recipient.

Steve

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 24th, 2021, 9:31 am

Not asking for money?
The scam ones normally ask for £2.99 or similar to reschedule

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 24th, 2021, 9:49 am

All of the etiquette around this has gone out of the window so I'd ask your employer, not least because I'd be refusing a delivery that I wasn't expecting.

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » September 24th, 2021, 10:06 am

I can confirm Fedex will send you a text like that, had a couple last week for some clothes bought from Italy.

You could try phoning customer support and asking if its a genuine delivery.

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » September 24th, 2021, 10:11 am

Just received a text claiming to be from FedEx saying parcel is due for delivery by 27/9 and to click link to reschedule.

So what is the problem?

If you do not click to reschedule, the 'surprise' parcel will arrive by the given date.

Else nothing will happen since you did not click to reschedule which, if a scam, is what they need you to do - so that they can trap a live link, or process the 'delivery' further.

regards,
ep

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 24th, 2021, 11:42 am

It varies by courier but some certainly do have the ability for the recipient to do quite a lot regarding delivery instructions ranging from a simple change of delivery date to a change of destination to a local official drop-off point (e.g. a local newsagent and various other local shops) for you to go and collect with photo ID, request the package be left with a nominated neighbour, or even a free-form box to describe a safe place you would like the package left if you are not in to take delivery in person e.g. "leave behind green recycle bin at side of house" or whatever(*).

The other thing that many of these services have is detailed tracking info where you can see every depot that your package has passed through including, critically in this case, the depot that collected the parcel from the sender. Sometimes that blow-by-blow account of the parcel's journey isn't on the main tracking page but can only be seen if you click on a link such as "detailed tracking info for your parcel" or some similar wording.

Personally I would do what you have done already, go the the FedEx website directly (definitely not using the link in the text you were sent), type in the tracking number, and then see if you can find the step-by-step journey details for the parcel. Then look at the very first step of it's journey and that might give you at least some clues. In the best case they will actually show the sender's name and address but you should at least be able to see the country and rough area of the country where FedEx collected the parcel from by looking at the location of the first depot that first scanned it into the FedEx tracking system. If it looks to be in the region of your US employer's offices then that to me would say it is what you think it might be.

- Julian

(*) DHL certainly has that last capability, I used it last week but of course the DHL driver ignored the instructions, didn't even try to ring my bell to see if I was in to sign for it (I was) and simply left my parcel on the doorstep in plain site of passers by. Luckily I live in a low crime neighbourhood so it was still there when I discovered it half an hour later.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » September 27th, 2021, 11:20 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Just a quick update...

Checked with my boss, he said he wasn't aware of the company sending anything out.

But then this morning got another text from FedEx, a short while later a buzz at the door, with the poor delivery guy getting soaked in the pouring rain while I go downstairs to answer.

Turns out it was a package from my employer of more pointless stuff sent by priority airmail from the US again. :roll:
If only they'd sent something useful, like a laptop upgrade (I wish!)

I'd agree with the comments about the etiquette around all this ... it would have been nice to know in advance, and also nice to have had the opportunity to decline as well.

But I guess that's the definitive answer to my question - at least now I know it wasn't a scam, and the FedEx texts were genuine.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 29th, 2021, 12:34 pm

It's mad isn't it

I have refused stuff due to scams.
And it's not even stuff you need? Mad.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 10th, 2021, 12:03 pm

Not scam related but I have most of my courier deliveries diverted to a local post office a 100m away.

Mainly because I don't want to be tied to remaining in but also because there are loads of issues with misdeliveries and theft (tailgaters following in to communal areas where parcels are left). It's an issue for my whole local area as there are lots of flat developments.

I don't have a working intercom now either as I was plagued all day by delivery drivers buzzing me trying to leave parcels for neighbours. Total silence now - bliss.

People who really need to contact me have my mobile numbers and messaging app. details. :D

Markab01
Lemon Pip

Postby Markab01 » October 10th, 2021, 12:26 pm

I have had messages from DHL re a delivery I was not expecting.
When I tracked the number I found, even more worryingly, that it had been delivered. Well not to me it hadn't.
Sent a message to DHL regarding this parcel.

A few hours later I went to Waitrose to collect a "click & collect" order of some wine. When the box was brought from the storeroom in the shop I noticed it had DHL stickers on it. Then it all became clear. Waitrose cellars use DHL to send stuff to Waitrose shops and DHL conveniently kept me in the loop re delivery. The unfortunate part of their tracking system is that it did not show to which address the parcel was being delivered. There is also no mention from Waitrose that this parcel will generate a DHL tracking number for what to me is an internal Waitrose transaction.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 10th, 2021, 1:00 pm

On a similar note I bought something from Amazon a few weeks ago and weirdly, the item was delivered in plain, un-Amazon-branded packing, by DHL.

I guess the Amazon seller was doing their own 'fulfillment'. Never encountered this before or since.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 10th, 2021, 1:47 pm

I got a package from Amazon a few weeks ago, no box, no brown paper, the address label was stuck to the box of the product
you can't save on packaging any more than that :lol:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 10th, 2021, 2:34 pm

pje16 wrote:I got a package from Amazon a few weeks ago, no box, no brown paper, the address label was stuck to the box of the product

What about "the box of the product"? :lol:

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 10th, 2021, 2:47 pm

XFool wrote:
pje16 wrote:I got a package from Amazon a few weeks ago, no box, no brown paper, the address label was stuck to the box of the product

Tried as a student to post some toast as a post card
It was cooled and dry (obviously!)
Address written with "sharpie" marker and the stamp glued on as well we could
- AFAIK it never got there
but yeah I know that's just a sample of one ;)

- sd

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 10th, 2021, 3:43 pm

servodude wrote:
XFool wrote:

I thought it was bad enough that it was clear to anyone that I was buying a security camera
I like your style though :D

Return to “Does anyone know?”