Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Candyman film

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Candyman film

Postby Sunnypad » September 29th, 2021, 12:38 pm

Anyone seen this?
Film descriptions are very confusing, some are calling this a slasher film, which I'd put in the category of "literally can't watch", others calling it supernatural thriller.

I'm not good with blood but the trailer looks fab. Anyone seen it? If the gory moments are few and signposted then it will be fine.

Thank you

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Candyman film

Postby pje16 » September 29th, 2021, 12:47 pm

what's it on?
Netflix, Amazon, BBC, ITV, etc

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 29th, 2021, 12:51 pm

It's at the cinema
Tonight is my last chance before Bond takes over!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 29th, 2021, 12:54 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Anyone seen this?
Film descriptions are very confusing, some are calling this a slasher film, which I'd put in the category of "literally can't watch", others calling it supernatural thriller.

I'm not good with blood but the trailer looks fab. Anyone seen it? If the gory moments are few and signposted then it will be fine.

Thank you

No. But it's very much on my list.

Have you seen the original? It's meant to be a spiritual successor.

I love the original and I can see why it might fall in to the "slasher" category for some (given a particular plot device)
- but it was really more a supernatural/psychological social allegory
- with some gruesome bits, bees, mirrors and an exceptional soundtrack
From what I hear this one does it justice

-sd

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 29th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Sunnypad wrote:
Anyone seen this?

I use this site quite a lot when checking for family-friendly viewing, and it's got both an 'official' comment section and also a couple of very useful 'Parents say' and 'Kids say' user-comment sections as well -

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/candyman

From the official report section -

What parents need to know -

Parents need to know that Candyman is a follow-up (but not a reboot or a direct sequel) to the 1992 movie, which was based on Clive Barker's short story. Directed by Nia DaCosta and co-written and co-produced by Jordan Peele, the movie takes a progressive approach to themes raised in the original -- including the power of art and storytelling -- and it's both scary and thought-provoking. It has tons of blood and gore, with several killings. Expect to see stabbing, strangling, shooting, throat slashing, broken limbs, jump scares, a gross hand wound creeping up to the rest of the body, a child watching her father die via suicide (jumping from a high window), and more. There's kissing (both affectionate and passionate), cuddling, and interrupted foreplay; a man is shown without his shirt on. Language is very strong, with uses of "f--k," "s--t," the "N" word, and more. Adults drink socially and smoke pot.

Hope this helps - enjoy the film!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 29th, 2021, 1:09 pm

I haven't seen the original

The common sense website confused me more! Tons of blood and gore, it says, but the listing includes things that they seem to have classified there but I wouldn't e.g. strangling.

I suppose it also depends how long the scenes are or how they are cut.

I watched Pulp Fiction without trouble, that seems the best comparison I can think of.

Oh, and I love The Happening but that probably disturbs people for other reasons.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 29th, 2021, 1:25 pm

To decide if you should watch it , look in the mirror and say "Candyman" five times

No! Stop! Do not tempt fate

(The 90s original is very good, if somewhat gory)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » September 29th, 2021, 1:27 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Sunnypad wrote:
Anyone seen this?

I use this site quite a lot when checking for family-friendly viewing, and it's got both an 'official' comment section and also a couple of very useful 'Parents say' and 'Kids say' user-comment sections as well -

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/candyman

From the official report section -

What parents need to know -

Parents need to know that Candyman is a follow-up (but not a reboot or a direct sequel) to the 1992 movie, which was based on Clive Barker's short story. Directed by Nia DaCosta and co-written and co-produced by Jordan Peele, the movie takes a progressive approach to themes raised in the original -- including the power of art and storytelling -- and it's both scary and thought-provoking. It has tons of blood and gore, with several killings. Expect to see stabbing, strangling, shooting, throat slashing, broken limbs, jump scares, a gross hand wound creeping up to the rest of the body, a child watching her father die via suicide (jumping from a high window), and more. There's kissing (both affectionate and passionate), cuddling, and interrupted foreplay; a man is shown without his shirt on. Language is very strong, with uses of "f--k," "s--t," the "N" word, and more. Adults drink socially and smoke pot.

Hope this helps - enjoy the film!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

So basically, an episode of Eastenders? 8-) Which I haven't watched for decades and which my own mother (85) stopped watching, due to the violence. Though she still watches Horrornation street and Hemorragedale Farm. Oh, and Neighbours.

I don't know about others, but I used to love gory horror films when I was younger. These days, I avoid such films, especially sad films. Though I will make exceptions for films that are a bit different or tread the line between silly/dark humour and horror. I thought that 'A Quiet Place' was excellent. These days I stick to comedy and Sci-Fi.

Steve

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 29th, 2021, 1:58 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:To decide if you should watch it , look in the mirror and say "Candyman" five times

Done it :lol:
I'm going to go.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 30th, 2021, 9:43 am

Sunnypad wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:To decide if you should watch it , look in the mirror and say "Candyman" five times

Done it :lol:
I'm going to go.

And.......?

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 30th, 2021, 9:57 am

I really enjoyed it. And it was quite moving.

If anyone else is squeamish, there were only two scenes where I had to look away. Describing it as a slasher film, which some sites did, can't be right?

I thought the storytelling was great. It's not a long film and does a great job of conveying a lot in very compact ways.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 30th, 2021, 9:09 pm

Sunnypad wrote:I really enjoyed it. And it was quite moving.

If anyone else is squeamish, there were only two scenes where I had to look away. Describing it as a slasher film, which some sites did, can't be right?

I thought the storytelling was great. It's not a long film and does a great job of conveying a lot in very compact ways.

If I ever had such a need, which seems unlikely, I'd use the BBFC website:

language

There is strong language ('f**k', 'motherf**ker'), as well as milder terms such as 'bitch', 'ass', 'asshole', '[expletive deleted]', 'dick', 'hell' and 'damn', and a rude middle finger gesture.

violence

Strong violence includes beatings, stabbings, slashings with a large hook, throat-cutting and dismemberment. There is extensive bloodshed and gory aftermath injury detail, including the skin on a character's hands infected by a bee sting taking on a progressively gruesome appearance through the film.

flashing/flickering lights

This work contains flashing images which may affect viewers who are susceptible to photosensitive epilepsy.

There are scenes of intense threat. There are references to racial discrimination and violence. In one scene, a Black high school student is verbally taunted by a group of white counterparts. The work does not endorse such discrimination. There is a peer-to-peer use of the term 'nigga'. There is a brief, undetailed suicide scene. There is infrequent drug misuse. There are infrequent moderate sex references.

- https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/candyman ... c00otmzmzi

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 30th, 2021, 10:11 pm

Bobby
That's my point though

All the web descriptions, including that one, make it sound full of gore when it isn't. If you put together the screen time for me looking away, it was probably a total of 2-3 mins.

Normally I just ask people I know but the only person I know who saw it was very tired and manage to doze through most of it :lol: :roll:

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 1st, 2021, 1:53 am

Sunnypad wrote:Bobby
That's my point though

All the web descriptions, including that one, make it sound full of gore when it isn't. If you put together the screen time for me looking away, it was probably a total of 2-3 mins.

Normally I just ask people I know but the only person I know who saw it was very tired and manage to doze through most of it :lol: :roll:

I think the "slasher" tag is just a lazy reporting - people see a meat hook and they come up with an obvious but misleading label

Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed it; I'm hoping to see it this weekend

You might consider looking out the original - hard to believe it's ~30years old
- or at least dig out the soundtrack; the score is brilliant

- sd

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » October 1st, 2021, 9:45 pm

Will do
Soundtrack for this one was good too!

I see your point re lazy reporting.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 3rd, 2021, 10:12 am

Sunnypad wrote:Soundtrack for this one was good too!

Finally having seen it I'll second that!

It references the original really well while bringing it bang up to date
- which is probably what I'd say of the film in general

-sd

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » October 9th, 2021, 7:55 pm

servodude wrote:
Sunnypad wrote:Soundtrack for this one was good too!

Finally having seen it I'll second that!

It references the original really well while bringing it bang up to date
- which is probably what I'd say of the film in general

-sd

Just saw this
Glad you liked it!

Return to “Does anyone know?”